My Custom Build - Printable Version

+- (https://6mmarc.com)
+-- Forum: 6MMARC DISCUSSION (https://6mmarc.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: 6mmARC Bolt Actions (https://6mmarc.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: My Custom Build (/showthread.php?tid=1294)

My Custom Build - dfosland - 04-23-2024

Finally got a picture together of my rig, it shoots, it kills gophers, it makes me smile, mission accomplished.  Side mission is to now get it to shoot it better, or at least me be able to shoot what it is capable of, once I find a recipe it likes.

MDT Timbr chassis
American Rifle Complany Coup de Grace Action
Preferred Barrel Blanks prefit barrel, 26" 1:7 twist, M24 contour
Triggertech Diamond Single Stage trigger, very light, very crisp, my oh my
Vortex Viper 6-24x50 HS-T, SFP, simple reticle, I like a clean scope

[attachment=823]

RE: My Custom Build - grayfox - 04-23-2024

Very nice!

RE: My Custom Build - corpsman8483 - 04-25-2024

That looks awesome!!

RE: My Custom Build - KMW1954 - 04-30-2024

Sweet, handsome rig.

RE: My Custom Build - dfosland - 04-30-2024

Picked up a tripod to setup for ARCA rails and will get a pic of that in good lighting. Also debating swapping this action with the ESS chassis in Stormtrooper White that I have my 17 Remington residing in.

RE: My Custom Build - SpeyRod - 05-02-2024

Nice. I haven’t done an action and prefits. Was it as easy as they say? I need a 1,500-mile gun and I am tempted to try one.

RE: My Custom Build - dfosland - 05-02-2024

The hardest thing in building these bolt guns is mating the barrel to the action. In this case, since it is a prefit barrel, went into a barrel vice, and used a reaction wrench from the action manufacturer, to torque it to 90 ft/lbs. After that, hanging the trigger is 2 pins, mating to the chassis is 2 bolts, and then put on the scope like any other pic rail setup. If I did it all in one go, less than an hour. Advantage with a shouldered, prefit barrel is that it should be headspaced by the maker, this requires them having the exact specs of the action, cartridge reamer, and SAMMI info, when I got mine from Preferred Barrel Blanks, it was absolutely within headspace spec.

Depending on the action you use, you can use the Savage Barrel nut, and I have done this on 3 other actions (2 Savage donor rifles and an American Rifle Company Archimedes). I bought the action wrench that attaches to the outside of the action to hold it in place, then screwed the barrel into position, and torqued the barrel nut (lock nut tech) into place at 35 ft/lbs. This version requires using headspace gauges, the action wrench, and barrel nut wrench. Can still be done in less than an hour. This requires you setting headspace, and takes a little trial and error, but gives the advantage of setting really tight or a little open for headspace. When I did this on my 17 Remington and 204 Ruger, I set as tight as I dared, basically, so that the bolt would close with the Go Gauge with almost no resistance, a "tick" tighter and I would feel resistance in the bolt handle when trying to close the bolt. Should go without saying, to you do not want the bolt to close with the No-Go Gauge, and that would be for setting max headspace.

All in all, the bolt gun went easier than building my gas gun.

RE: My Custom Build - SpeyRod - 05-03-2024

Thanks!

RE: My Custom Build - Dino11 - 05-03-2024

Preferred Barrel Blanks makes some of the best barrels out their. I'll bet that thing shoots sub MOA. I have one in a Uintah rifle, After it was broke in I sent it to H&M Metal Processing to have it Nitrided. Mine will shoot .5 MOA all day long, it's almost boring to shoot it at the bench rest matches.

RE: My Custom Build - dfosland - 05-03-2024

The Hornady Black is used at first to test, and it easily shot sub minute. I haven't been able to get out and do any load development. Yep, it shoots good.