70 gr nosler varmageddon + cfe223
Wondering if anyone has ran this combo. Any idea where to start at? What results are you seeing?

I’ll be running a 20” cmmg 1:7.5 twist barrel on my ar.
I have 70gr Varmageddons loaded for fire forming 220 Russian brass. Used old stock Reloader #7 powder (25grs). Not expecting much out of this load. I got the Varmageddons 'cause they were plentiful & cheaper than any other bullet at the time I got them. Looked like a good fit for fire forming.

On the Hodgdon reloading website they have 29.7grs of CFE223 as their starting load with 70gr bullets. They max it at 33grs. (47800psi).
The trick is growing up without growing old. -- Casey Stengal
(12-23-2021, 05:32 AM)Old Bob Wrote: I have 70gr Varmageddons loaded for fire forming 220 Russian brass. Used old stock Reloader #7 powder (25grs). Not expecting much out of this load. I got the Varmageddons 'cause they were plentiful & cheaper than any other bullet at the time I got them. Looked like a good fit for fire forming.

On the Hodgdon reloading website they have 29.7grs of CFE223 as their starting load with 70gr bullets. They max it at 33grs. (47800psi).
Any experience with Barnes varmint grenade 62 grain?
(12-23-2021, 08:39 AM)6mmNewB Wrote:
(12-23-2021, 05:32 AM)Old Bob Wrote: I have 70gr Varmageddons loaded for fire forming 220 Russian brass. Used old stock Reloader #7 powder (25grs). Not expecting much out of this load. I got the Varmageddons 'cause they were plentiful & cheaper than any other bullet at the time I got them. Looked like a good fit for fire forming.

Any experience with Barnes varmint grenade 62 grain?

Sorry, no. It's one bullet I don't have.
The trick is growing up without growing old. -- Casey Stengal
I've looked at the lighter pills to use for short range training fodder. I always had good experience with the 110s in my 300BLK and figure those would work good for punching paper at 100 doing positional work. The big question is how nice they will play with a 7.5 twist in a 24" barrel.....lol

I may try some real soon, if so I'll report. Closest I have to CFE223 is LVR though.
I'd reckon CFE is a bit too slow for 70's. I tried some CFE with 55s for fireforming based off of Hodgdon's 6mm PPC data a while back and had signs of pressure at relatively low velocities. It'll work, but if velocity is what your after, burn rates in the Benchmark / XBR realm are your best bets.
#FJB
I have been using these bullets for a bit now. I found some in stock, on sale and bought 500 of them. There is another thread here with some good info from the members. StoneHendge provided some good data that gave me a starting point, many thanks!
So it seems that Benchmark is the sweet spot for these in the 6mm ARC and 6mmAR(I have both) and of course I didn't have any nor could I find any. I did have lots of XBR so I started there.

Here is my load data.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND FOLLOW ALL SAFE LOADING PRACTICES. START LOW AND WORK UP SLOWLY.

6mmAR(Hornady 6.5 Grendel brass necked down)
70gr Nosler Varmageddon
28.5gr XBR 8208
CCI #450
CBTO: 1.640"
2887 fps unsuppressed out of my 18" X Caliber SS barrel

I could probably push this load a little faster but it is accurate out to 300 and it meets my needs as a plinking/varmint round. YMMV.
(12-23-2021, 04:19 PM)shooter545 Wrote: I have been using these bullets for a bit now. I found some in stock, on sale and bought 500 of them. There is another thread here with some good info from the members.  StoneHendge provided some good data that gave me a starting point, many thanks!
So it seems that Benchmark is the sweet spot for these in the 6mm ARC and 6mmAR(I have both) and of course I didn't have any nor could I find any. I did have lots of XBR so I started there.

Here is my load data.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND FOLLOW ALL SAFE LOADING PRACTICES. START LOW AND WORK UP SLOWLY.

6mmAR(Hornady 6.5 Grendel brass necked down)
70gr Nosler Varmageddon
28.5gr XBR 8208
CCI #450
CBTO: 1.640"
2887 fps unsuppressed out of my 18" X Caliber SS barrel

I could probably push this load a little faster but it is accurate out to 300 and it meets my needs as a plinking/varmint round. YMMV.
sounds like a good one.  I know the 62 gernade bullets are really long and require a fast twist like our barrels have.  Going to load some up with xbr and see how we do.