Custom Ear Plugs
I don't know if this is the proper area to ask but what custom ear plugs do you guys use and/or recommend?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid". Sgt Stryker
https://earinc.com/product/chameleon-ear...-earplugs/ is what I have been using for a few years. They are comfortable and they work well for me.
I'm using a double setup, inner ones are the hourglass shaped foam plugs, and then for outer, ear muffs that have at least 26 db rating. Plus the foam ones need to be replaced often (I don't do it every time however), and even the earmuffs, you need to monitor them for the spongy stuff becoming stiff. I don't think I would trust molded-to-ear custom plugs, too much can vary from time to time to make them as effective as a double-setup, that's my 2 cents.
This is all for my indoor 100 yd range, where blast and noise are louder than if outdoors, for outdoors I've used single muffs at times and seems ok.
(04-27-2022, 01:25 PM)grayfox Wrote: I'm using a double setup, inner ones are the hourglass shaped foam plugs, and then for outer, ear muffs that have at least 26 db rating.  Plus the foam ones need to be replaced often (I don't do it every time however), and even the earmuffs, you need to monitor them for the spongy stuff becoming stiff.  I don't think I would trust molded-to-ear custom plugs, too much can vary from time to time to make them as effective as a double-setup, that's my 2 cents.
This is all for my indoor 100 yd range, where blast and noise are louder than if outdoors, for outdoors I've used single muffs at times and seems ok.

I use to use the double system like you use. It is fine for pistol shooting but the headset ear muffs get in the way of shooting rifles which is what I shoot mostly nowadays.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid". Sgt Stryker
Have had that problem too. I did find some that taper down as you go below ear level, those help as far as rifle stock interference.
O, another tip, blast sound can conduct thru the rifle back into the stock and into your head/ears via cheekbone, when it's all solid plastic/wood/bone etc. In those cases, you can isolate some of that by interposing a rubberized sheet on the stock where your cheek weld is. On my adjustable cheek risers if I do that then I just tweak the riser down a bit.
https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Electronic...B08HTXVPJR

I find that the gel helps get a much better seal around my ears, even when wearing glasses. The cuts at the bottom of each side help them maintain effectiveness even when on a rifle.
My custom plugs are actually speaker plugs that I use on a motorcycle. I've had about three sets over the last 20 years and love them. I can wear them 12 hours a day with little discomfort. This is not what I use for shooting sports though. For shooting I double up; foamy ear plugs with electronic Howard Leight Impacts over the top.

This is the current set of speaker plugs I'm using
https://www.plugup.com/custom_earplug_sp....5-4.5.htm