Powder selection
I've noticed that Leverevolution is getting a lot of play.  There is no Lever in my powder locker, but I do have a full pound of H380.  Looking at the various burn rate charts, it appears that Lever and H380 are next door neighbors.  Looking at Hornady's published load guide, Lever is listed for all but a couple of the lighter bullet weights, but there is no recommendations for H380.  Does anyone know why?  I realize that you have to be very careful using the BRC's, but I would think that two powders that burn essentially at the same rate would be good, safe candidates for experimentation.  What say you folks?
Even though they are close together on the burn rate chart I would also think that you would want to consider/compare the type, shape and density of H380 in relation to LVR before you start load work up. For example the density of H380 may not work in the ARC case. All things being equal between the two of them except H380 being slower than LVR it would be worth investigating a load work up if I had it on hand.

Not having any experience with H380 that’s my .02, hope it helps in some way.
Trashy
(08-31-2020, 09:25 PM)Trashy Wrote: Even though they are close together on the burn rate chart I would also think that you would want to consider/compare the type, shape and density of  H380 in relation to LVR before you start load work up.  For example the density of H380 may not work in the ARC case.  All things being equal between the two of them except H380 being slower than LVR it would be worth investigating a load work up if I had it on hand.

Not having any experience with H380 that’s my .02, hope it helps in some way.
Good points, Trashy.  I don't have any Lever to compare it to, but I'll see if natoreloading.com has good picture of it that I can use.  Or, if you can post a pic of a small pile of Lever I can use that at least as a visual comparison.
Cool, if the density is close, your on the way to load development. I think density would be more important than type. Type should relate more to temp sensitivity than being comparable to leverevolution. Keep us in the loop with your results if you decide to do a work up with H380 it will be interesting.
Trashy
(08-31-2020, 11:22 PM)Trashy Wrote: Cool, if the density is close, your on the way to load development.  I think density would be more important than type.  Type should relate more to temp sensitivity than being comparable to leverevolution.  Keep us in the loop with your results if you decide to do a work up with H380 it will be interesting.
Will do!
I"ve loaded up 5 rounds each using Hrnady ELD Match 108 grain bullets, H380, starting at 27 grains and going up in .5 grain increments, and will be testing these rounds out today, if the weather permits me to do so. I'll report back to you all on the accuracy I get at each level, as well as how my rifle functions, any pressure signs, and MV at each level.
Got out this morning and ran these test rounds with H380.
27. 0 grains MV 2306, es 32 sd 11
27.5 grains MV 2356, es 35 sd 14
28.0 grains MV 2428, es 35 sd 14
28.5 grains MV 2459, es 23, sd 9
29.0 grains MV 2493, es 37, sd 15
29.5 grains MV 2527, es 38, sd 17

No FTF's; absolutely no pressure signs. The 29.5 grain load had the powder high enough in the case so that when I used the COL of 2.20, I was compressing the powder at least a bit. I think I can stuff another 1/2 grain in the case, and may try it. Bottom line for me and this rifle is that H 380 is very much a viable, safe powder to use in the ARC. It meters beautifully. While I was not "shooting for groups" on this trip, I did notice that the groups at 28.5 and 29.0 grains grouped quite nicely; a bit of horizontal stringing from the lighter loads, and 29.5 seemed to go vertical on me a bit. All groups were "minute of deer/hog" and I was most pleased overall.
Thanks for the report! I was pondering trying H380 as well as it has a slower burn rate than the other powders published for the ARC.
For comparison purposes, what barrel length did you use in your test? And is it a bolt or gas gun?
That’s great information mike!! When you say that all groups were minute of hog/deer was it the accuracy you were looking for with the 29.5 gr load. I would think that 2527 with the 108 grain bullet is a good node. Thanks for posting the results.
Trashy
(09-05-2020, 06:49 PM)Lemonaid Wrote: Thanks for the report! I was pondering trying H380 as well as it has a slower burn rate than the other powders published for the ARC.
For comparison purposes, what barrel length did you use in your test? And is it a bolt or gas gun?
Lemonaid, it is an 18 inch gas gun that I built.
(09-05-2020, 08:08 PM)Trashy Wrote: That’s great information mike!! When you say that all groups were minute of hog/deer was it the accuracy you were looking for with the 29.5 gr load. I would think that 2527 with the 108 grain bullet is a good node.  Thanks for posting the results.
Trashy, given this first pass, I will say that all groupings provided me with acceptable accuracy to take the load hunting and be assured of a one shot, humane kill on a deer and a hog, provided I do my part!  And I agree with you that the 2527 fps node should deliver just that.  My next exercise is going to be take a hunting bullet (rather than a match bullet), like the 108 grain Berger Elite Hunter, and test it around the 2527 node.  Then I will take a Sierra 100 grain ProHunter and do a work-up on it.  It should provide some pretty good MV numbers as well, providing my rifle likes working with a smaller, lighter bullet.
You might want to look at the 100 gr tipped game king instead of the prohunter’s. Grayfox just reported on here that he loaded some game kings and the noses were getting scarred and deformed during chambering.
Trashy
(09-05-2020, 08:43 PM)Trashy Wrote: You might want to look at the 100 gr tipped game king instead of the prohunter’s.  Grayfox just reported on here that he loaded some game kings and the noses were getting scarred and deformed during chambering.
Thanks for the heads up!
Which was too bad, cause I have them and they have nice bc, but will be steering clear of exposed lead tips for now.
That's interesting. I shot a few (5) ProHunters in my ARC, and shoot them and others in my 300 HAM'R and my 7.62X39. I wonder why they aren't working for you? I have my COL set at 2.20 on my ARC; what COL are you using on your rifle?