Hornady Black powder
Just pulled 2 boxes(40 rnds) of Hornady Black due to them getting very high FPS(2921 hi) and not grouping. Well, on a calibrated scale, they ranged from 30.4gr to 31.4gr. Kinda broad range, wouldn't you say? Going to take them all down to a non-compressed load of 28.6gr start and see what they do. I ran 28.9gr of LVR on a Barnes 105 and it got 2815. These 2 boxes were the last of a certain lot. The next 5 are from another lot. Will probably fire 1 and check the speed. Hmmmm.
Good on you for checking. I haven't paid close attention, but my impression is even Hornady has suffered from some QC issues trying to keep up with demand.
(08-01-2021, 11:58 PM)Biodsl Wrote: Good on you for checking. I haven't paid close attention, but my impression is even Hornady has suffered from some QC issues trying to keep up with demand.

It's probably gone unnoticed since their products are never consistent.
#FJB
A fair bit scary & disappointing given the pricing imposed on these products. if in fact you are experiencing 1 grain diff & all the same lot # Id call shame on Hornady QC. GRR

Especially with the shortages I think we need to set the bar considerably higher.
(08-02-2021, 09:08 PM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: A fair bit scary & disappointing given the pricing imposed on these products. if in fact you are experiencing 1 grain diff & all the same lot # Id call shame on Hornady QC. GRR

Especially with the shortages I think we need to set the bar considerably higher.

A 1 grain difference sounds too severe. I'm sure Hornady's marketing department would call it a +/-0.5 grain diff.
#FJB
Variation of +/- .5 grains is huge for say a 270 Winchester or 30-06 sized cartridge. Percentage of difference would be roughly doubled in the 6mm ARC size cartridge. Only good part of this is the 6mm arc is targeting a relatively moderate pressure that may allow a bit of forgiveness.

My hair would start standing up w extreme nervousness if I was seeing a variation =/- .2 grains in a 6mm arc case four tenths total variation is a lot more than I feel may be deemed acceptable.
I have question for those that have experience with both ELD match and the Blacks...which has been more consistent? I only have time with the 108s, but no Chrono or anything other than handloads to compare to. Planning on going to a training course and I may or may not be able to use handloads there.

Edit...are these variations the result of wild inconsistency when shooting and is it common? Or is this a lot to lot difference that is or isn't common with the blacks.
I'm not a competitive shooter, some of the guys on here are. But in my limited experience you have to find which one works best for your rifle. Mine seem to prefer the 105 BTHP's. I've shot more of them and only a few 108's, but from what I can recall the 108's were ok too, just with shooting more of the 105's they seemed to do better.
The main diet I feed my pipes is one of handloads however.
Get some of each and see what your rifle tells you.
I wasn't thinking, that totally escaped me about what mine likes another chokes on. I had good luck with the 108s and have a few boxes of 105s, until this class came up I had no intention of using box ammo other than for brass farming. Hopefully they give me the go ahead on my handloads (case by case basis I've been told) since I know what she likes for the most part.

I'll see what the 105s do, this post and the seating depth fiasco early on got my attention.