Bad Range Day
...don't you just hate those range days that go bad from the get go?  

Went to test my recently acquired Sierra 107 SMK's in a ladder test, along with some seating depth tests for Nosler 105 RDF's and Hornady 108 ELDM's.  

1st shot of SMK's over the chrony registered 2538 (28.5 LVR/1.715 CBTO), 2nd shot clipped the chrony....arrrghhh!  Oh well, now I have reason enough to order the MagnetoSpeed v3.  Was still able to pressure test the 28.8 & 29.1 loads, all was good, no pressure signs. 

Tested out the Berger recommendations for VLD seating and ran the 105VLD's at CBTO's of 1.643, 1.673 and 1.710 w/29.1 LVR.  Berger claims a "significant" difference would be noted in these large jump amounts.  In my test the difference between 1.673 & 1.710 was "somewhat" significant compared to the 1.643 -vs- 1.673, but because I was already bummed over the chrony mishap, I wasn't really "focused" for shooting groups, more like just blasting thru my anger.  I paid the range fee already so I was gonna make smoke & noise at least, LOL.

The Hornady tests (1.662, 1.722 & 1.742 CBTO's) was pretty much the same, BUT....I did discover something different between my Duramag & E-Lander mags.  With the Hornady 108 ELDM seated to a 1.742" CBTO, they were too long to fit the E-Landers.  The same rounds would fit in the Duramags easily with no problem.  During the loading, EACH cartridge was seated & measured so the CBTO was consistent.  I would seat a bit long and adjust the micrometer down, measure, repeat until I hit the mark.  I also confirmed & re-measured a week later before heading to the range to ensure no movement occurred.  None of the loads felt compressed, but it was just a precaution I took to gather good data.  Again, the group sizes were not what I would call "significantly" different between them, again, the caveat of being in a bad mood not making for some focused shooting.

Hopefully Graf's will get my MagnetoSpeed order out quickly, I'm kind of anxious to really test out these SMK's.  The single captured 2538 FPS of the lowest charge has JBM predicting it will be supersonic to 1200 yds.
I feel your pain man... I murdered my chrony last year as well, just got the new one yesterday, heading to the range today.
If you can not see the tyranny of having a gun ban enforced by men with guns... Then you fail to understand why the second amendment was written in the first place.
May wish to study up the Anti scan. to my knowledge not out as a production model yet though this looks to be the best of all worlds. Looks encouraging to me, Time will tell.

https://www.sqi-andix.com/?product=andis...o-model-a2
(05-15-2022, 03:50 PM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: May wish to study up the Anti scan. to my knowledge not out as a production model yet though this looks to be the best of all worlds. Looks encouraging to me, Time will tell.

https://www.sqi-andix.com/?product=andis...o-model-a2

...as alluring as the AndiScan is, it's just beyond my budget.  The MagnetoSpeed is too in reality, but the "convenience" factor carried alot of weight in my decision to "splurge"....
I can relate