Hornady "Black" and "Match" Factory Ammo - Hmmm!
With my faxon barrel I measured OAL's for the 105 Bthp-hornady, and I got 2.277".
So in this barrel there is not the 2.200-2.220 limitation. I guess it has a longer throat.
Most of my 100+ gr bullet loads have been with the 103 Eldx (which OAL's for me out to 2.305 btw). With the 103 I've gotten loads of CFE, 2520 and Lever up to 30 grs, probably could have gone higher but haven't as of yet... no appreciable sounds or notice of compression. Most of my powder charges have topped out at the case-neck entry point.
The only bullets I'm seating down at the 2.200 =/- is the 95 sst, with its flat bottom again, no noticeable compression - I load it to 30.1 of Lever, ~2800 ft/s (going off of memory this morning as I sit here).

To echo where I think you're going Rob, for me the sweet spot bullet-wise seems to be long-ish, 90-103 grain bullets, the 90 Tgk, 95 sst and Nosler BT, 103 eldx. Maybe the 100 Tgk but I don't have any of those yet. I also, personally, think to stay away from the barrels with the noted "short-throat" chambers (Proof, Odin), so that you don't have to go 2.200 for the 105 etc's. Dino seems to get good performance out of his Odin however.

105 Black shoots about MOA for me, at 2665 - 20" faxon nitrided barrel.
If I remember correctly the 108 shoots about 2640.
I bought some of both early on to get brass plus see how they did, now I pretty much roll my own. Lever is powder of choice so far.

CFE, Lever and even 2520 look pretty close to me except CFE has a bit more silvery sheen to it. Do you think that stock powder might be a form of 2520 or Lever? Curious mostly.
CFE for me doesn't shoot that well unless you can get up close to or slightly over the 100% fill mark.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hornady "Black" and "Match" Factory Ammo - Hmmm! - by grayfox - 10-26-2020, 01:33 PM