Hornady "Black" and "Match" Factory Ammo - Hmmm!
(07-01-2021, 07:57 PM)StoneHendge Wrote: Welcome aboard Dave.  Hornady has always been inconsistent with their primers and uses whatever they can get their hands on. This predates the current environment. In the current environment, I'd guess that they are using foreign primers. I can't see how Vista or Winchester could be selling them primers in the current market when they can't make enough ammo themselves.

I would just shoot the factory ammo. Load development in virgin cases will not give you repeatable results when you switch to fired brass since the volume of a virgin case will be below the volume of a sized fired case. It may also result in different neck tension unless you run the brass through your die with the decap pin removed. But then you run into the issue of how to remove the lube on the inside of the neck with a primer in there......

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply, StoneHendge!  It is good to know that my observation and memory of their primers wasn't off.  What was surprising with the different primers within the same lot.  

I appreciate the recommendation and reasoning for just shooting the factory ammo.  I'll allow myself to be okay with them being good enough to ring a small gong at 300 yards... which it does quite nicely, and then do my development.

I look forward to learning with/from you guys with this very interesting cartridge...  Now on to digging through the forums on the possibility of converting one of my SA Savage Mod 10's to 6ARC.

Thanks again!

-Dave

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hornady "Black" and "Match" Factory Ammo - Hmmm! - by daverx7 - 07-01-2021, 09:37 PM