Ramshot TAC for 6 ARC
Has anyone tested Ramshot TAC in the 6 ARC? Supposedly it is said to be a Varget equivalent for velocities and pressures.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid". Sgt Stryker
Just starting with the Ramshot TAC. Working well for me in a bolt action application & with the 80 grHornady CX & or GMX bullet. Advantage over Varget is the density. Little less powder required to attain same velocity when applicable for bullet weight.

Looking promising for low ES & 3150 FPS looks to be very attainable. Have not started accuracy testing though.

Guessing Leverevolution is on your list as well. With the heavier bullets LVR seems to get the edge & low ES numbers have been quite satisfactory, thus far.
(07-10-2022, 05:52 PM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: Just starting with the Ramshot TAC. Working well for me in a bolt action application & with the 80 grHornady CX  & or GMX bullet. Advantage over Varget is the density. Little less powder required to attain same velocity when applicable for bullet weight.

Looking promising for low ES & 3150 FPS looks to be very attainable. Have not started accuracy testing though.

Guessing Leverevolution is on your list as well. With the heavier bullets LVR seems to get the edge & low ES numbers have been quite satisfactory, thus far.
Sounds good.
I have 4 ladder tests set up for the 112 gn Barnes MB using Varget, LVR, RL15, and CFE223. I hope to shoot them sometime this week. I just added another ladder test for H4895 as well. So, I have 5 ladder tests this week to shoot.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid". Sgt Stryker
TAC and Varget are equivalent only in a world where the temperature is always the same.
#FJB
So I am looking to work up a load for the 80 gr CZ for hunting with my bolt action rifle. Ill be working up the load on a 80 to 95 degree days. Per Hornady load data Tac is offering top velocity. Benchmark I expect will offer considerably better temp stability.

Hunting environment may likely range roughly 50 degrees cooler give or take 30 degrees as we have been known to see some extreme temp differences in mid November.

Per Hornady load manual, Ill be looking to give up roughly 100 FPS with Benchmark under the 80 gr CX.

Considering all copper bulles are really thriving at upper velocities. If the Ramshot Tac loads are printing easily less than MOA, at upper velocity, would I likely be wasting resources to do a load work up with Benchmark as well?
what's the barrel length for your bolt action?
Also, think about the max distance you want to get down to and the opening velocity.
These are variables but we wouldn't know them of course.

I have read (have not tested however) that the powder "twins" AA2230 and Xterminator - the more modern cans, one was modified for more temp stability and the other was for... don't know -- MV?
Anyway that might be a possibility, not as much MV loss.

Also if case fill allows for Tac might you have a tad left of case capacity, to bump up the load in November?
Finally, maybe your node is wide enough that cooler and a bit slower is still POA and acceptable accuracy...

JMHO.

O, one more thing, sometimes in the bolt actions you can load a bit longer OAL which gives you more powder room.

GRT doesn't seem to "like" the 80 GMX... very high engraving force and can't get up to 31.5 grs even at 2.290.
Now it's just a model...

have you done some ladders with the CX?
Barnes has an 80 gr ttsx.
Maybe CBB bullets.
(07-29-2022, 04:46 PM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: So I am looking to work up a load for the 80 gr CZ for hunting with my bolt action rifle. Ill be working up the load on a 80 to 95 degree days. Per Hornady load data Tac is offering top velocity. Benchmark I expect will offer considerably better temp stability.

Hunting environment may likely range roughly 50 degrees cooler give or take 30 degrees as we have been known to see some extreme temp differences in mid November.

Per Hornady load manual, Ill be looking to give up roughly 100 FPS with Benchmark under the 80 gr CX.

Considering all copper bulles are really thriving at upper velocities. If the Ramshot Tac loads are printing easily less than MOA, at upper velocity, would I likely be wasting resources to do a load work up with Benchmark as well?
FWIW, I shot a lot of Grendel with TAC in the Phoenix winter/spring as a practice load. Was sub MOA on workup and went where it was supposed to. Shooting temps were in the 60s to 80s. Once the temps hit the mid 90s, the load
 completely crapped out on me. It was so bad I thought my barrel was shot out or my scope crapped out before I remember I was using a ball powder. It was a mild load (90 gr at 2700 from a 22") so pressure wasn't an issue. I don't think the issue was as much the 20-30 degree temp change as it was things getting kooky in the 90s, which has generally been my experience with ball powders. I guess my point is I wouldn't bother testing it in the 90s unless your going to use it in the 90s
#FJB
This data from 20" monster barrel.
105 Barnes Match Burner, Rem 7 1/2, Ramshot TAC, 2.280, Annealed, trim=1.484
24.7 2255,2323,2333,2345,2364 4=.985 SD 41.48 AVE 2324
25.0 2351,2328,2342,2349 4=1.585 SD 10.41 AVE 2343
25.3 2374,2381,2410,2407 4=.695 *best this session* SD 18.17 AVE 2393
25.6 2369,2425,2440,2437 4=1.020 SD 33.13 AVE 2418
25.9 2409,2433,2436,2413 4=.985 SD 13.72 AVE 2423
Pretty much as the Hornady gas data lists.
Grayfox, Im working with a 22" Pacnor 5 groove barrel

My research is suggesting Id do well to focus on the Ramshot Tac for the 80 gr CX with upper velocity in mind for now. Perhaps stick with cool mornings for now & if I am liking what I see, Follow up with a 2nd load work up on a cool october morning to verify & or tweek the load for cooler weather if needed.

I had done a little load work up with the GMX last year though, The CX I have not tried at all as of yet. Only picked up 150 of the 80 grain projectiles as the 90 gr CX is what I think Id prefer. Load data suggest I may only be giving up 50 FPS with the 90 GR CX & should I be pushing my shot distance to 250 to 300 yards the Higher BC of the 90 would more than off-set the lower starting velocity. Ill strive for a shot under 200 yards & 300 may be my self imposed limit.

Inside of 200 yards I expect Id be very confident with the 80 GR CX with most shot angles. 90 grain would likely boost that confidence to the 300 yard mark.

I have really wanted to try the 90 CX though they don't seem obtainable as of yet.

Im kicking arround a 90 gr E- tip & 85 gr Controlled chaos as well.
Watch your ladder for the CX/ pressure signs. In Grt it topped out at 28.8 (bolt gun) but I don't know the OAL limitations of the CX-ogive.
28.8 gave 3100 in 24" in that model, FWIW.
Could be the case capacity was small (some of the Grr/6Arc loads will act like that in Grt.)