Hornady Copper alloy 90gr CX
Hornady's only factory hunting round is the 103 ELD-X which has 2288fps and 1197FT.-LB at 300yds

If I want to go Alloy and stay with Hornady and a 300yd max range the only round seems to be the

90gr CX or GMX which retain more than 1000FT.-LB at a reduced load at 2900FPS down from 3050FPS max

My question 

Is 2900FPS a safe starting position to work up from if I want to keep with my max range of 300yds for a working load ? 

I have been looking at the Hornady reloading data and their ballistic calculatior for my info. That would give me loads at 2900,2950,3000 and 3050 to work with, is that enough ?

Thanks
The 90 gr CX is either near un-obtainable or unavailable thus far. While I see you claim to have obtained a box of 50 of the 90 gr CX bullets & if you have actually sourced a box more power to you. I have been scrounging for the .243 diameter 90 grain CX bullet for 6 months or so now & you are the only one I know of who claims to have seen the .243 diameter CX bullets available.

Point here is if the 90 GR CX bullet is an option. If the 90 GR CX bullet shoots accurate in your rifle, then in the Hornady all copper alloy bullet line up the 90 GR CX may be the better choice over the 80 GR CX IMHO.

I do question the wisdom in pigeonholing your load to 2900 FPS. I may follow a path more along the lines of seeking the most accurate loadI could work up between 2900 FPS & 3050 FPS.

Make no mistake Id prefer the 90 gr CX at the increased distance. Still, Id expect the 80 grain CX bullet to be quite adaquit as well out to 300 yards. See the YouTube review by Frontline rejects on the 80 gr CX bullet. Trouble with making a judgment on the 90 gr CX bullet is their is little to nearly no real life experience with the 90 grain cx offerings due to the simple fact they are so new, that they really have not made it to market yet for one reason or another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10HpKGDnRVE

No factory 90 grain CX ammo or components are out there yet that utilize the 90 gr CX offering even in the 6mm creedmoor.

On paper 90 gr CX bullet looks to offer more down range performance provided the barrel to be used in, has enough twist to stabilize the longer bullet, over the 80 grain CX. Ballistic coefficency advantages of the longer bullet along with the increased weight suggest the 90 gr CX bullet will offer more terminal performance at the longer distances. Real world experience is too close to non existent at this point for most of us thus far.
        I went with the 90gr because the 80 didn't have 1000ft-lb at 300yds and started at 2900fps because that is where the 90 gr has 1000ft-lbs at 300 yds. So I am hoping to start with the 2900 and work up to best for my rifle. Right now I have 50 90gr CX's to work with. If I find more then I will be able to do more.
I screwed up when I found the bullets there was more than the one box but I didn't think to buy then when I went back there was only one box left. 
I am looking for more but like you said they are hard to find.
The barrel is 24" 7.5 twist and on a cz527 action so I should get identical to what Hornady posted in a ideal world, I think

So what is the min number to each load 2900,2950,3000,3050 to decide ? Keeping in mind I need 8 rounds to take with me when I hunt

Sorry I am having a time learning how to post pictures
(08-19-2022, 04:56 PM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: The 90 gr CX is either near un-obtainable or unavailable thus far. While I see you claim to have obtained a box of 50 of the 90 gr CX bullets & if you have actually sourced a box more power to you. I have been scrounging for the .243 diameter 90 grain CX bullet for 6 months or so now & you are the only one I know of who claims to have seen the .243 diameter CX bullets available.

Point here is if the 90 GR CX bullet is an option. If the 90 GR CX bullet shoots accurate in your rifle, then in the Hornady all copper alloy bullet line up the 90 GR CX may be the better choice over the 80 GR CX IMHO.

I do question the wisdom in pigeonholing your load to 2900 FPS. I may follow a path more along the lines of seeking the most accurate loadI could work up between 2900 FPS & 3050 FPS.

Make no mistake Id prefer the 90 gr CX at the increased distance. Still, Id expect the 80 grain CX bullet to be quite adaquit as well out to 300 yards. See the YouTube review by Frontline rejects on the 80 gr CX bullet. Trouble with making a judgment on the 90 gr CX bullet is their is little to nearly no real life experience with the 90 grain cx offerings due to the simple fact they are so new, that they really have not made it to market yet for one reason or another.

No factory 90 grain CX ammo or components are out there yet that utilize the 90 gr CX offering even in the 6mm creedmoor.

On paper 90 gr CX bullet looks to offer more down range performance provided the barrel to be used in, has enough twist to stabilize the longer bullet, over the 80 grain CX. Ballistic coefficency advantages of the longer bullet along with the increased weight suggest the 90 gr CX bullet will offer more terminal performance at the longer distances. Real world experience is too close to non existent at this point for most of us thus far.

(08-19-2022, 04:56 PM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: The 90 gr CX is either near un-obtainable or unavailable thus far. While I see you claim to have obtained a box of 50 of the 90 gr CX bullets & if you have actually sourced a box more power to you. I have been scrounging for the .243 diameter 90 grain CX bullet for 6 months or so now & you are the only one I know of who claims to have seen the .243 diameter CX bullets available.

If you want a few , if I can work up 5 to each load that would be 20 and say 10 to hunt . That's 30 I have 20 left If you want 20 to play with I can send them to you .
Hopefully in the next year and a half more will be out there. I just ask that if you get some send me back the same as I sent you.

Attached Files Image(s)

question
you have a cz527 with a 20" or 22" barrel. Mine is going to be 24" on a cz action . What difference is it in you working up a load and a factory load. Is it legal for you to give me 12 live rounds of your hand loads ? if I give you 50 bullets ? and if so would you be interested in doing that in order to have to new 90gr CX to play with.

I hope it doesn't hurt for me to ask
In a 24" bolt action barrel, nodes are probably close to 2960 and 3050.
So since it's an unknown bullet-etc combo I would start at a 30.0 gr of LVR, which is below "2950", go up by 0.3's; and try to get up to max at 3050, shooting over a chrono.
You don't' know what your barrel will do, MV-wise, with the combo until you get some actuals.
The loads I just came back from the range with, I calculated them to be 2685 MV and up, but the first set went 2724 instead. Then up from there. ACtuals were noticeably faster than calculated. It happens like that, so start below what the data says you might see. That was their barrel and their lot of powder, their brass, and primer. Lots of variables to vary as compared to your setup.
We both will have Pacnor barrels with a 2" difference in length. I am following your re-barred with interest. To be honest I am a bit skeptical on how the longer light weight barrel will shoot in terms of accuracy. Say I was to work up a load & found a accurate load in my rifle. There would be no guarantee the load would shoot well in your rifle.

I seldom work up a load to my satisfaction with 50 rounds fired. So if I were to attempt to work up a load there would be little I could to assure myself Id find a load that shoots to my satisfaction with 30 bullets. Shooting safe is one thing that is quite predictable. Shooting accurate tends to be a bit more of a trial & error thing.

A load that shoots well in my rifle may shoot very well in yours. Nearly as likely an accurate load in my rifle may not be accurate in your rifle, even if our barrels were technically identical. I would feel marginally comfortable reloading for another individual if I was able to fire the loads in there rifle. A safe load in my rifle may or may not be a safe load in your rifle. bigger question mark is if a accurate load in my rifle would be a accurate load in your rifle.

At 300 yards the level of accuracy Id wish for would be a crapshoot under the circumstances available. From a form fit function standpoint Id feel more comfortable if I had the actual rifle in hand to work up a load. Im very clear that is not doable. As for legality I am un-sure, especially with Comifornia being involved.

So practically speaking I am not interested. Leagly speaking I am uncomfortable enough that Id unequivocally say no thank you!. Not that I am not intrigued. Never mind the fact we know almost nothing about each other.

Think I mentioned in another thread that no factory loads shot accurately to my satisfaction in my rifle. No reason to expect a accurate load in my rifle would be an accurate load in your rifle.

Ill continue to sit by on the sidelines following your experience as much as you care to share.
(08-19-2022, 07:27 PM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: We both  will have Pacnor barrels with a 2"  difference in length. I am following your re-barred with interest. To be honest I am  a bit skeptical on how the longer light weight barrel will shoot in terms of accuracy. Say I was to work up a load & found a accurate load in my rifle. There would be no guarantee the load would shoot well in your rifle.

I seldom work up a load to my satisfaction with 50 rounds fired. So if I were to attempt to work up a load there would be little I could to assure myself Id find a load that shoots to my satisfaction with 30 bullets. Shooting safe is one thing that is quite predictable. Shooting accurate tends to be a bit more of a trial & error thing.

A load that shoots well in my rifle may shoot very well in yours. Nearly as likely an accurate load in my rifle may not be accurate in your rifle, even if our barrels were technically identical.  I would feel marginally comfortable reloading for another individual if I was able to fire the loads in there rifle. A safe load in my rifle may or may not be a safe load in your rifle. bigger question mark is if a accurate load in my rifle would be a accurate load in your rifle.

At 300 yards the level of accuracy Id wish for would be a crapshoot under the circumstances available. From a form fit function standpoint Id feel more comfortable if I had the actual rifle in hand to work up a load. Im very clear that is not doable. As for legality I am un-sure, especially with Comifornia being involved.

So practically speaking I am not interested. Leagly speaking I am uncomfortable enough that Id unequivocally say no thank you!. Not that I am not intrigued. Never mind the fact we know almost nothing about each other.

Think I mentioned in another thread that no factory loads shot accurately to my satisfaction in my rifle. No reason to expect a accurate load in my rifle would be an accurate load in your rifle.

Ill continue to sit by on the sidelines following your experience as much as you care to share.
Ok just thought I would ask I don't know about any of those things 
I still have to get the rifle back and shoot my 103 ELD-X rounds to get the Brass to load with so These will sit in my gun case till then.Once I start I'll post what I get . I wasn't sure where you were, you may have said in a post I didn't notice . I retired to Florida much easier to do things here .
Right now it seems the only 90gr CX bullets on the web are in the UK. Not even sure they would ship back and the price is NOT worth bothering with.

Thanks
(08-19-2022, 06:48 PM)grayfox Wrote: In a 24" bolt action barrel, nodes are probably close to 2960 and 3050.
So since it's an unknown bullet-etc combo I would start at a 30.0 gr of LVR, which is below "2950", go up by 0.3's; and try to get up to max at 3050, shooting over a chrono.
You don't' know what your barrel will do, MV-wise, with the combo until you get some actuals.
The loads I just came back from the range with, I calculated them to be 2685 MV and up, but the first set went 2724 instead.  Then up from there.  ACtuals were noticeably faster than calculated.  It happens like that, so start below what the data says you might see.  That was their barrel and their lot of powder, their brass, and primer.  Lots of variables to vary as compared to your setup.
Thanks for the reply , From what has been said I think I need to hold on to what I have and wait for more 90CX bulets before trying to work up a load. I have saved your advice and will start with it when the time comes. 
Right now I am trying to come up with more 90CX bullets , primers and I am starting with Leverevolution powder first and will go from there. I have enough Factory new ammo to get once fired brass once I get my barreled actin back. In the mean time ---- More research

I watched the video  looks good but I'm unsure when it comes to power down range 

Range
Velocity
Energy

3100fps

100 yds
2750fps

200yds
2427fps

300yds
2126fps

This is what I got out to 300yds on Hornadys BC. 

I was told I needed 1000 ft-lbs for a clean kill on deer size game . Am I doing something wrong with the BC to get this or have I been told wrong on what I need for hunting.

I will take all the help I can get to get this right , I could probably use the existing 103ELD-X but This seems fun to play with if it gives me a good round that is not out there

Thanks
Id be inteested to see how these 90gr CX proj work out of the ARC, I've only used the 90gr BT on deer and it did the job, but the CX might in less than ideal circumstance.

I just had a look at my 90gr Scenar and 90gr BT load and I had to go to 32.0gr LVR to get 3050fps for both where the high node was, the CX90 would no doubt be similar but I would be cautious as typically all copper projectiles run a little higher in pressure and the longer length can rob a little powder capacity.

my low node with the 90gr scenar was at 30.8 and gave me 2935fps average.
(08-19-2022, 10:14 PM)Bassfish1952 Wrote:

I watched the video  looks good but I'm unsure when it comes to power down range 

Range
Velocity
Energy

3100fps

100 yds
2750fps

200yds
2427fps

300yds
2126fps

This is what I got out to 300yds on Hornadys BC. 

I was told I needed 1000 ft-lbs for a clean kill on deer size game . Am I doing something wrong with the BC to get this or have I been told wrong on what I need for hunting.

I will take all the help I can get to get this right , I could probably use the existing 103ELD-X but This seems fun to play with if it gives me a good round that is not out there

Thanks
1000 ft lbs on target is a good guideline though not set in stone. To clarify 1000 ftlbs would offer more in the way of hydrostatic shock. When your hydrostatic shock is up there bullet placement can be a bit less critical often causing the legs to turn to jello on impact.
Fella I purchased a drop in barrel from for a CZ 527 chambered in 6.5 Grendel suggested high shoulder shots with that caliber with a properly constructed bullet. Last fall was the first time I intentionally selected a high shoulder shot (brachial plexus). Though this brachial plexus shot was  with the 6mm ARC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_x9vR_0KM8

Three years prior while archery hunting, I had accidentally had what must have been a perfect Brachial plexus hit. (not at all recommended archery placement) Results was a downed deer on the spot with relatively little energy on impact. A very rare result with archery equipment. Brachial plexus shot is a central nervous system shot.

With a rifle the Brachial plexus shot can be extraordinarily effective. 1000 lbs energy on target can offer a bit more room for error. Ill argue that 700 ftlbs impact energy is more than enough with proper shot placement. The all copper bullet may be an ideal bullet for the brachial plexus shot due to the way this bullet holds together and penetrates even when impacting bone.

Young girl offers a couple of good examples here I am confident the first deer was well under 1000 ftlbs impact energy & resulted in a kill shot that allowed the deer to run 60 yards or so. very ethical in my book. 2nd deer was another central nervous system hit while I am not sure Id recommend the 2nd shot placement, hard to argue with the results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNSJgAXlES4
Another thing worth mentioning on energy on target. Do not over look the need for bullet expansion. An exadurated example may be if you were to have 3000 ft lbs of energy on target with a loong slender 6mm bullet for example. If the bullet is not designed to expand & if the bullet does not tumble, we stand to do what is referred to penciling through. For the sake of example, emagin the bullet still has 2800 ft lbs available after passing through the game animal. In this example we only shed 200 lbs of energy in the target.

Can't over emphasize the need to shed the lions share of available energy in the target animal with terminal effect in mind. This may be especially true with the smaller calibers. On the flip side we do not wish to shed that energy on impact.

Example of a varmint bullet that is designed to essentially explode on impact. With the varmint high explosive bullet we risk not penetrating to the vital organs prior to shedding the full energy payload.

Properly expanded all copper bullet can generally be expected to offer the best balance of penetration and shedding the majority of the energy in the vitals even when impacting heavy bone.
Guess I will start with another question.  

I have gone to CopperCreeks website and looked at their Load Packs. If I take these 50 90gr CX bullets that I have and do a basic load pack, 5 each at different powder loads with everything else the same ,buy a chronograph and document speed and size of group and save each group of brass for signs of pressure. Will I be able to come up with a basic load for my rifle. 

I know it would not be anywhere close to what you guys do but for my hunting , once a load is gotten to you have to recheck it as you buy more bullets, powder and the rest or can I make up a bunch pack them away and be good to go ?

And that brings another question . What does over pressure look like ? I have read about it but will it be obvious to a beginner like me ?

I had planned to just follow the Hornady app load for the 90CX with LEVERevolution but I think once I get the barrel back , have the gun ready and all the material needed I will post and maybe you guys can offer advice .

so set in stone will be the rifle

CZ527 with 24" barrel with 1-7.5 twist
90gr CZ
Once  fired Hornady brass from factory loads
LEVERevolution powder

Hornady's site says Federal 205 Primer but I an open to what you guys use
and 
Hornady has loads starting at 28.4grs going up to 32.3grs for LEVERevolution in 7 steps. I want to load 5 rounds per step so that opens up several more steps that can be tried
Can that be done or should I space it out and load starting some where in the middle and just a few steps at a time.

Oh well I have lots of time the barreled action won't be back until maybe Nov.

Plenty of time for me to ask more questions
1. Several primers are fine, may depend on what you can find. Cci#41 are pretty available, as are cci450. I would choose one of these no problem. The fed 205’s, haven’t seen them much. Try to pick a primer and stick with it. Get a 1k brick. Don’t mess with 1 or 200. I do not recommend “Winchester” 41/military, I had several fail to fire. But cci’s are gtg.
2. On finding your load, there are 1000 ways. My method is first, to do a single shot ladder, at 0.3 like I said earlier, to establish the powder/MV curve for your rifle and combo. That’s to “calibrate” your setup. From the graph of those shots you will get a curve fit/linear graph of charges/MV. I probably would start somewhere about 29.0 hrs, up to max which iirc is 31.6. (Don’t have all my data right now…). Look around the 2950 ish mv, then start your charges 0.5-0.6 below that, go 0.5-0.6 over, in 0.3 jumps. I use 4 at each charge, it will tell you sd, es, and possibly grouping, use the chrono. Then you can re-verify that charge with some of what’s left. That will give you a fairly accurate hunting load. Est less than 1 moa should not be hard to see. All together you should have a load worked out in less than your stash of 50.
3. As to variables, keep the brass you load/shoot at each stage, at the same nbr fo firings. I call them new, 1x, 2x etc. also keep primers the same. On powder, keep it at same lot number. Now when I buy a powder, I get at least 2 lb at a time. Online doing it that way will get you lbs of same lot nbr which is what you want. If you have to switch to a new lot#, you can sometimes shoot your load in the new lot and re-calibrate your mv for that new lot, the load grains may be slightly different.

Unless you are ocd or a precision shooter, once you have your load worked out for that setup you can make them up in a batch. Usually getting more of same bullets doesn’t impact your load, nor more primers (although this is a maybe, at least I have not run into it). The big thing than can vary is powder lot to lot. Your brass is all one mfr and kept at same firing nbr, so those won’t vary much.
Now as you shoot 100-200 loads, the actual OAL might begin to lengthen because the throat starts to erode a bit deeper, wear and tear. But that’s a bridge you can deal with whenever it starts to show up in your a curacies.

I know there are lots of other opinions on all of this, main thing is to pick a decent method that works for you. I base mine less on “POA/POI” because for me as a shooter, physics and mechanical engineering are more constant than my skill of aim. So I let physics and mechanics govern my approach.
(08-20-2022, 02:57 PM)grayfox Wrote: 1. Several primers are fine, may depend on what you can find.  Cci#41 are pretty available, as are cci450. I would choose one of these no problem. The fed 205’s, haven’t seen them much. Try to pick a primer and stick with it.  Get a 1k brick. Don’t mess with 1 or 200. I do not recommend “Winchester” 41/military, I had several fail to fire. But cci’s are gtg.
2. On finding your load, there are 1000 ways.  My method is first, to do a single shot ladder, at 0.3 like I said earlier, to establish the powder/MV curve for your rifle and combo.  That’s to “calibrate” your setup.  From the graph of those shots you will get a curve fit/linear graph of charges/MV. I probably would start somewhere about 29.0 hrs, up to max which iirc is 31.6.  (Don’t have all my data right now…).  Look around the 2950 ish mv, then start your charges 0.5-0.6 below that, go 0.5-0.6 over, in 0.3 jumps.  I use 4 at each charge, it will tell you sd, es, and possibly grouping, use the chrono.  Then you can re-verify that charge with some of what’s left.  That will give you a fairly accurate hunting load.  Est less than 1 moa should not be hard to see.  All together you should have a load worked out in less than your stash of 50.
3. As to variables, keep the brass you load/shoot at each stage, at the same nbr fo firings.  I call them new, 1x, 2x etc.  also keep primers the same.  On powder, keep it at same lot number.  Now when I buy a powder, I get at least 2 lb at a time.  Online doing it that way will get you lbs of same lot nbr which is what you want.  If you have to switch to a new lot#, you can sometimes shoot your load in the new lot and re-calibrate your mv for that new lot, the load grains may be slightly different.

Unless you are ocd or a precision shooter, once you have your load worked out for that setup you can make them up in a batch.  Usually getting more of same bullets doesn’t impact your load, nor more primers (although this is a maybe, at least I have not run into it). The big thing than can vary is powder lot to lot.  Your brass is all one mfr and kept at same firing nbr, so those won’t vary much.
Now as you shoot 100-200 loads, the actual OAL might begin to lengthen because the throat starts to erode a bit deeper, wear and tear.  But that’s a bridge you can deal with whenever it starts to show up in your a curacies.

I know there are lots of other opinions on all of this, main thing is to pick a decent method that works for you.  I base mine less on “POA/POI” because for me as a shooter, physics and mechanical engineering are more constant than my skill of aim.  So I let physics and mechanics govern my approach.
Thanks for all the advice you have given, all of you guys, Right now I am copying into a notebook so I can review without losing it on a forgotten thread and I have set up automatic searches for bullets, powder, primers and brass to alert me when items come available at a good price. On brass it seems that I can buy factory ammo cheaper than brass , so I think once used and fired in my rifle will work out just fine. So now it's wait to get the action and barrel back then go from there 

Again thanks for the help
Checked w Hornady today on when we may expect the 90 grain CX bullet. Sorry to say I was not pleased to hear that the .243 caliber 90 gr CX bullet is not slated to be in production till October / November time frame. Suppose this helps me determine one bullet Ill not be deer hunting with this fall. If I draw a doe tag perhaps Ill have this bullet to try by late deer season.

90 gr E-tip is looking to be a clear favorite at present.
Midway has the 90 gr .243 E-tips for sale/in stock right now....
(08-27-2022, 12:07 AM)grayfox Wrote: Midway has the 90 gr .243 E-tips for sale/in stock right now....
Yea I am sitting good. I picked up factory blems for roughly half the price a few months back. my main issue with these is a narrow upper accuracy node. 30. 2grains of LVR, is the next lower node though I am only getting a bit over 2900 FPS an the lower node. suppose Ill give CFE 223 a go next.
I found these today if you are still looking...

[/url][url=https://www.cavitybackbullets.com/product-p/cb-mkz-6mm-.243-92.htm]https://www.cavitybackbullets.com/product-p/cb-mkz-6mm-.243-92.htm

https://www.cavitybackbullets.com/produc...243-92.htm
If you can not see the tyranny of having a gun ban enforced by men with guns... Then you fail to understand why the second amendment was written in the first place.