Off topic but relevant to 6ARC
I know many of the 6.5Grendel board members are here. There is also quite of few knowledgeable and experienced members that may have experience with my particular question.

I built a pretty sweet bolt rig recently  to take me the next steps in my precision rifle trip. 6ARC of course, mainly due to a solid stock of tooling and components and previous XP. At bolt pressures it's a very solid performer. 

Now here is the meat and potatoes....I want to build a 22 cal variant due to sharing a bolt face. 
1-.  Is 22 Grendel the same as 224 LBC?
2-.  Is there a 22 Grendel Ackley Improved, similar         to the 6AR Turbo 40?
I for sure want an Ackey Improved Grendel based 22 but am lost on finding the reamer/chamber prints with Fat Rats/LBCs/Grinch/etc.
Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated and I hope y'all don't mind the slightly off topic question.
Probably not much help here on my part. Only thing I can contribute is I started off shooting a 6.5 LBC if I recall right ween I rebarreled my first CZ527. Shot 6.5 grendel ammo & I reloaded with 6.5 grendel dies to good effect.

Perhaps this link may offer more

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/thread...628/page-2
Grendel and LBC are interchangeable from a chamber standpoint. LBC is usually slightly tighter in the neck area and doesn't have the compound Grendel throat. At least my BHW 243 LBC was tight in the neck, but I beleive others have had the same experience.
#FJB
(10-22-2022, 06:02 AM)StoneHendge Wrote: Grendel and LBC are interchangeable from a chamber standpoint. LBC is usually slightly tighter in the neck area and doesn't have the compound Grendel throat. At least my BHW 243 LBC was tight in the neck, but I beleive others have had the same experience.

I appreciate the info, I definitely prefer no turn necks so I have to double check what the resized dummies measure out at. I 'think' that Manson. JGS or PTG have made 22 Grendel AI reamers for some folks and may be able to provide a print for some previous customer reamers. There may even be a popular standard among the customers that ordered them. 

It's not a huge savings over my 6ARC barrel, but for practice and shorter range 1 day matches a 22 variant will save quite a bit in just bullets. I thought about doing the 22ARC but I have no experience yet in designing my own wildcats. I would definitely retain some of the neck from sizing down for more room to adjust seating depth for bullet jump.

(10-22-2022, 01:51 AM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: Probably not much help here on my part. Only thing I can contribute is I started off shooting a 6.5 LBC if I recall right ween I rebarreled my first CZ527. Shot 6.5 grendel ammo & I reloaded with 6.5 grendel dies to good effect.

Perhaps this link may offer more

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/thread...628/page-2

This is a perfect example of where my confusion is rooted. Many of these variants are one offs and it muddies the water on the differences in base to datum, throat, neck, leade......I am going the 22PPC die route since i can handle the shoulder bump and neck sizing and can use a 6.5 Grendel die for sizing the body. I may pick up one of those Mighty Armory sizing dies, they look pretty slick and supposedly minimum size the neck and body. It also eliminates the need to mandrel in another station.

If I do in fact go with an Ackley Improved chamber I guess I'll have to have a die made.
The 22 Grendel is the same as 224 Grendel, 224 LBC, 224 Predator (not PDK, that is a 0.422 case), and 22 BGW, all are "unimproved" necked down Grendel cases. The only Improved version I have seen is by a guy named Shaw who has posted in the Facebook group I admin "224 Grendel" and on a couple other forums. I have not seen a "22 Grinch" but I had a couple people say that some customs were made. You might call PTG and see if they have one, or can walk you through the process to design one.  Another possibility is to call Craddock Precision to see if they have a custom 22 Grinch reamer. (Craddock makes 6mm Grinch barrels for AR15s) Personally, I think the slight case size increase from the standard, and the fire-forming process required, is not worth the extra expense. If you want a 22 Grendel (unimproved) Next Shot Precision or Baldwin Gun Works have made a bunch of them.

(10-23-2022, 12:15 AM)SWFShooter Wrote: 22 Grendel Improved versus 224 Grendel

Attached Files Image(s)

How heavy of bullets & or what twist rate are you considering?
I see that the difference may minimal for the effort of improving. I figured why not go all in if dropping more than 4 or 5 hundred bucks on a barrel. I don't think going past 88 ELDs will gain anything more than a fussy cartridge. Most likely 80-85 or 88 with 7 or 7.5 twist.

After having my ARC barrel cut and I was forming new brass for it I had a thought that brought this on mostly. Another possibility for die simplicity also is to do a 22 ARC and retain the long neck (or more of it) after resizing to have more leeway in seating bullets. This is something that bothers me with the SAAMI 6ARC chamber.

I had to extend my freebore to .110 and still only have about a .025 jump window before getting real deep in the shoulder/neck area. I'd really like that freedom of seating depth.

This is also a bolt rifle which I'm not positive I was too clear on. Archimedes action, 26"Proof barrel spun by Fisher T&C in a Xylo chassis.