Progress being made
As I sat there in the sunshine with nothing but my thoughts, pondering what else can I do to get my groups more consistenty inside the inner circle.... I usually put 2 sometimes 3 inside the 1" ring with the others outside.  

...and it's getting monotonous...

Grabbed my allen wrench set from the truck and snugged the legs on my Atlas. Huh, who knew.

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
(08-12-2023, 10:30 PM)GRH Wrote: As I sat there in the sunshine with nothing but my thoughts, pondering what else can I do to get my groups more consistenty inside the inner circle.... I usually put 2 sometimes 3 inside the 1" ring with the others outside.  

...and it's getting monotonous...

Grabbed my allen wrench set from the truck and snugged the legs on my Atlas. Huh, who knew.
I get very similar results using 105 grain 6mm BTHP Hornady bullets, used Hornady 6mm ARC Brass and 26.8 grains of RL-15 and have had similar results with Varget, both with an OAL of 2.220". I am shooting a Savage Axis II 6mm ARC Bolt Action rifle with a 22" sporter barrel.

What rifle are you shooting?
Have you tried Leverevolution powder?

My shooting is at 100 yards with 25 & 50 yard sighting in distances.
Have you shot at longer distances.

I'm beginning to realize that it's my trigger control that is limiting my accuracy and I need to start dry firing a lot more.

Ray R
Home brew with McGowen 20" .875 gas block, LVR never made it into the 6ARC sub folder with all my GRT data. I did try a couple popular double base powders but found them unacceptable.

I wanted to use/try N140 but there's only one place around here that even sells VV, and then it's limited kinds if/when they have any, so Varget it is. Same deal with RL15 or 15.5.

That target is at 100yd, the dot is 2in with a 1in circle, so if I hadn't fudged the shot it would easily have been a sub-moa group.

I agree wholeheartedly, it's all on me and my lack of trigger control and consistency, I know the rifle and load are capable. 

This target was from Sunday and I always seem to manage fudging at least one, where my brain was when I shot the left target I do not know.

Attached Files Image(s)

What kind of trigger do you have on it?
Upgrading (and standardizing on one type of "feel") my triggers was a key to helping me.
(08-22-2023, 02:22 PM)grayfox Wrote: What kind of trigger do you have on it?
Upgrading (and standardizing on one type of "feel") my triggers was a key to helping me.

I have a Triggertech Adaptable (two stage). I very much prefer having that tiny bit of takeup so I know where the sear is for my calloused fingers.

Not sure of the pull weight but it's pretty close if not as low as it will go, somehow I've never owned a pull scale.

A TT Diamond is on my winter wish list though.
Set up: New Starline Brass, Hornady 105 BTHP, Sm mag primers
20" BA barrel, 2 stage Hiperfire trigger, shooting off of a bi-pod and rear bag. Using for certain PRS matches in Gas Gun division

So far I've tried A2520, Varget and Lever. I settled on Lever so far. It was the best combination of speed and accuracy. With Lever I got 2700 fps and just under 3/4" @ 100yds. Varget gave me about 5/8" but only got it up to 2450fps and was already over book. A2520 was good also, about 3/4" but only 2640fps. Still gonna try VV540 and see if it improves any.
(08-25-2023, 07:24 PM)donno Wrote: Set up: New Starline Brass, Hornady 105 BTHP, Sm mag primers
20" BA barrel, 2 stage Hiperfire trigger, shooting off of a bi-pod and rear bag. Using for certain PRS matches in Gas Gun division

So far I've tried A2520, Varget and Lever. I settled on Lever so far. It was the best combination of speed and accuracy. With Lever I got 2700 fps and just under 3/4" @ 100yds. Varget gave me about 5/8" but only got it up to 2450fps and was already over book. A2520 was good also, about 3/4" but only 2640fps. Still gonna try VV540 and see if it improves any.

How did you manage that accuracy with a BA barrel? I've a BA 20" Premium Black DMR and couldn't get it below about 1-1/4 with three different powders and about 250 rounds.

Matter of fact I'm about to put it on GB since I've replaced it. It would be fine for hunting or ringing steel but the fuddish club I belong to won't let me set up my steel, and I don't hunt lately.
I have several BA barrels and all mine are at least 1". Even my 16" 3 gun barrel is less than an inch. I've heard some folks say that they are hit or miss but I've always had very good luck with them.
More betterer...

30 rounds to verify load, and after almost a month it took a bit to settle in. Getting chilly and the whole can't feel the trigger thing didn't help either.

Inner circle is 1" these two were of course near the end of those and in the process of prepping brass to load more, looking forward to seeing if I can do it again