90 GR CX look alike, offered by PV
Been experimenting w Velocity & accuracy potential with this monolithic 90 grain bullet in the Howa 22" mini. Looking like Accurate 2460 may be the powder I settle on. Although I have not tried CFE 223 or Leverevolution with this bullet yet.

With the A2460 in my Howa bolt gun The node was looking promising at 29.1 grains in terms of accuracy. More testing will need to be done to verify as I was only doing 3 shot groups. 

Above 29.1 accuracy & ES started to erode. 29.1 GR is plenty compressed so as we go up from there the degree of compression only increases & I expect this is the reason accuracy & ES was falling off.
Have been wanting to give the 90 Grain CX a try for deer this fall. Accuracy had not been coming together until today. I was ready to move on to another bullet option. Then I decided to give CFE 223 a try.

Load work up with these factory 2nd 90 grain bullets is looking promising in terms of accuracy & velocity with CFE223. One grain under max load was looking most promising from what little I tried today.

Only shooting 3 shot groups so Ill need to load a larger shot string to verify. Everything I tried with the CFE223 shot fairly well.
(09-10-2023, 07:50 PM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: Have been wanting to give the 90 Grain CX a try for deer this fall. Accuracy had not been coming together until today. I was ready to move on to another bullet option. Then I decided to give CFE 223 a try.

Load work up with these factory 2nd 90 grain bullets is looking promising in terms of accuracy & velocity with CFE223. One grain under max load was looking most promising from what little I tried today.

Only shooting 3 shot groups so Ill need to load a larger shot string to verify. Everything I tried with the CFE223 shot fairly well.
What kind of velocity are you getting with that load ? On Hornadys reloading site it shows 31.3 as Max with CFE223 and about 2900 for 30.4, so how does your real time compare

Thanks
Did you try some OAL seating checks? Howa has some long OAL lengths achievable for several bullets. longer than the data sheets say. I've had OALs in grendel from 2.303-2.411 for some long-ogive bullets. So there might be some room OAL-wise...
I will be working W seating depth tuneing next. Powder charge really matters though. Went out last evening & tried 5 shot strings at 30.3 gr & 30.5gr for telling results. 29.3 put 4 into half an inch with a horizontal flyer that opened things up to roughly 1". 30.5 grains was over a 1.5" group.

As for velocity we will need to keep in mind that I am substituting BR4 primers for Fed 205's & this barrel tends to be a fast barrel anyhow. 29.3 gr of CFE 223 was averaging 2980 per Lab Radar from this 22" Pacnor barrel. As I recall the velocity variation was within 15 fps on the 3 shot load test. Was late when I arrived at the range last night so I had not used the Lab radar on the 5 shot strings.
As for seating depth, I have went longer than the 2.245 listed data - by up to .025" in .005 increments. Accuracy only eroded. I do not care to go any shorter as I am already working with compressed loads. Gave H4895 a try today as well & accuracy Was sub MOA & velocity I find acceptable at 2850ish.

I feel the H4895 load will be good to have to fall back on if the CFE 223 load would not perform satisfactory in the extreme cold weather. H4895 was selected for the colder temps due to the greater temp stability of this propellant. I believe the H4895 is the most stable powder available that is suitable for this application.

Considered Staball match & expect Winchester Staball match may be slower & overly compressed for this application.

So the CFE 223 load will be my plan A load & H4895 will be the plan B load & Plan CD&E are available as well.
These Factory 2nds did a fantabulous job on a sample of 1 deer this morning. Broadside shot slightly quartering away. Top of heart was destroyed. Super expansion on entry & likewise larger than expected exit wound. Doe did travel roughly 40 yards after impact.
Its interesting that you're having luck with AA2460. When I looked at the available data, powder charts, and my stock of powder, I tried 2460 with Speer 85gr BTS and then 90gr ELDX. I didn't think accuracy acceptable with either bullet. I've since tried WW748 and have had much more consistent accuracy without switching primers or even seating depth.

Congratulations on your doe. How far was the shot?
Looked back & A 2460 is listed in Hornady Bolt gun data. The Gas gun data did offer A 2460 data. I ended up settling on CFE223 as Accuracy & velocity is good & ES was more forgiving.

Shot distance on the doe was roughly 80 yards.