6mm ARC vs 6.5 Creedmoor Calculations
Just for fun, wanted to see how the 6mm ARC compared with the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Went to Hornady's website, and got the data on their hunting loads for the two cartridges, each using the same style hunting bullet — the ELD-X. 

Both from 24" barrels, Hornady's data says the 6A fires its 103 ELD-X at 2800 fps and the 65CM its 143 ELD-X at 2700.

Then I went to the JBM online ballistics calculator and punched in Hornady's numbers.

At 500 yards, the 6A drops 52.9 inches and the 65CM 54.2. 6A shoots flatter at 500 yards by 1.3 inches.

At 500 yards, the 6A drifts, in a 10 mph wind, 18.6 inches and the 65CM 15.6. 65CM drifts less at 500 yards by 3 inches. Three inches difference is not bad at Five. Hundred. Yards.

Considering the 6.5 Creedmoor has taken the ballistics world by storm because of the capability it gives for its size, it's quite amazing to me that the 6mm ARC hangs with the Creedmoor, given its even smaller size.

I've attached the two ballistics charts generated by JBM if you're interested in comparing them.

Attached Files Image(s)

:: 6mmARC Target Cartridge with Hunting Capability :: 6.5 GRENDEL Hunting Cartridge with Target Capability :: 
:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
(09-02-2023, 06:05 AM)BluntForceTrauma Wrote: Just for fun, wanted to see how the 6mm ARC compared with the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Went to Hornady's website, and got the data on their hunting loads for the two cartridges, each using the same style hunting bullet — the ELD-X. 

Both from 24" barrels, Hornady's data says the 6A fires its 103 ELD-X at 2800 fps and the 65CM its 143 ELD-X at 2700.

Then I went to the JBM online ballistics calculator and punched in Hornady's numbers.

At 500 yards, the 6A drops 52.9 inches and the 65CM 54.2. 6A shoots flatter at 500 yards by 1.3 inches.

At 500 yards, the 6A drifts, in a 10 mph wind, 18.6 inches and the 65CM 15.6. 65CM drifts less at 500 yards by 3 inches. Three inches difference is not bad at Five. Hundred. Yards.

Considering the 6.5 Creedmoor has taken the ballistics world by storm because of the capability it gives for its size, it's quite amazing to me that the 6mm ARC hangs with the Creedmoor, given its even smaller size.

I've attached the two ballistics charts generated by JBM if you're interested in comparing them.
I own both and hunt with both, enjoyed your comparison but since you did hunting rounds I would have liked energy at 500yds or ability to make a clean kill. I did see something in there about around 300 yds, both are good to 300 after that for hunting I would go 6.5
But that's just me as for target shooting I leave the 6.5 at home and love the 6
Somebody else has figured out my favorite "big bore" 6.5 creed, and favorite "lil bore" 6 Arc. 'Course all that could change a little now that I have my 22" preferred barrel grendel on my howa action. So far (20 rounds in) shootin' well.
Who am I kidding??? I like all my pipes!!! lol!
BF1952, the charts DO show a column for energy figures.
:: 6mmARC Target Cartridge with Hunting Capability :: 6.5 GRENDEL Hunting Cartridge with Target Capability :: 
:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::