What ar15 magazines are yall using
Hi, as the question suggests, I'm just looking for tips on what mags run the best for 6 arc in an ar15. Just wrapping up my build. I have a bunch of magpul 5.56 pmags I use for work, can I use them stock or maybe just a new follower? Or would I just be better off buying something else, and if so what do you recommend?
The ASC 6 ARC mags with the red followers have been 100% reliable for me.
Stock PMags won't work with 6 ARC ammo. You can load a few rounds in one but they'll jam up quickly. You'll need to get ASC, C-Proctucts or E-Lander mags for 6.5 Grendel ammo. I have all three brands & they all seem to work well with 6 ARC. From reviews I've read, E-Landers are popular. I also have Amend2 polymer 10 round mags but they tend to expand when fully loaded & take a little extra effort when installing them in your rifle. A fully loaded Amend2 mag might not drop when you hit the release button. They could also have COAL issues with heavier, longer bullets. Haven't tried them with 6 ARC but they did function OK in my Grendel AR with lighter bullets where COAL wasn't an issue.

The ASC, C-Products & E-Landers are all stainless steel. There may be COAL differences between the brands.
The trick is growing up without growing old. -- Casey Stengal
Are there any modifications that can be made to pmags or stanags to make them run 6arc effectively?
My experience only... ASC mags use just too thin sheet metal, it's cool they're stainless but I'd rather thicker plain steel if trying to cut cost.

I bought ASC 15rnd mags so I could load 10rnd and avoid any possible issues with using all the capacity and they were short enough for bench shooting. Should I have to do that? NO, but it happens so I figured I'd circumvent the possibility.

...Wrong... Even with 10rnd out of 15rnd the sides of the paper thin mags bulge, drag inside the magwell, won't drop out and sometimes cause errors inserting fully.

Final straw was when I suddenly started having problems that stemmed from one feed lip getting bent slightly throwing the approach angle off.

I bought a couple Grendel DuraMags to try and am much happier with them, much more rigid, no bulging, go in easily and freely drop out, strong rigid feed lips.

They skip right over 15rnd so I bought 20rnd which are sometimes a pain because of the length. I'm now sufficiently impressed enough to get some 10rnd and load them fully without any problem.
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
I'm using the duramags with no problems. There were some early issues due to the front of the mag causing some rounds to hang up on it, so I dremeled the front edge down on the ones I use, take it down about 0.1-0.120, mark it off first before you get started... thread on this here somewhere. This came up by comparing some factory mags, the ones that didn't hang up had a lower front edge than the ones that did. So if you run into that, that's the fix.
(09-12-2023, 12:49 PM)grayfox Wrote: I'm using the duramags with no problems.  There were some early issues due to the front of the mag causing some rounds to hang up on it, so I dremeled the front edge down on the ones I use, take it down about 0.1-0.120, mark it off first before you get started... thread on this here somewhere.  This came up by comparing some factory mags, the ones that didn't hang up had a lower front edge than the ones that did.  So if you run into that, that's the fix.

I use Duramags and have never ran into issues. The same Duramag has worked for 6m ARC, 6.5 Grendel and 7.62 Russian.
(09-11-2023, 06:29 PM)brayten.thaddeus@gmail.com Wrote: Hi, as the question suggests, I'm just looking for tips on what mags run the best for 6 arc in an ar15. Just wrapping up my build. I have a bunch of magpul 5.56 pmags I use for work, can I use them stock or maybe just a new follower? Or would I just be better off buying something else, and if so what do you recommend?
I’m new to this 6 mm arc rd not new to ars just finished building three ars in 6 mm arc and had bought 6.5 Grendel mags from Elanders 15 or 17 rd don’t remember but didn’t have a lot of luck with them the spring is awfully strong in them! Then I bought some ASC 15 red they work fine, I loaded the Elanders mags full with ammo and I will leave them set three or four weeks and then see if they will work!
I have had good luck with the ASC 6 ARC specific 15 round magazines.
Duramag SS mags. Had follower issues with ASC.
Have any of you guys seen the Geissele 6ARC mags? They're oddly proportioned, very much like the 6.5 Grendel AK mags from CSSpecs.

Here's a Photoshop of a 30 round mag:

As far as I know, Geissele 6ARC mags are unobatnium. Every time I've looked on their website, they've been out of stock. Plus, they're really proud of these - so far - non-existent mags. Depending on capacity, they run from $70 (8 rnds) to $110 (25 rnds). Rolleyes
The trick is growing up without growing old. -- Casey Stengal
I've used the ASCs and Duramags. I've had issues with the followers on. the ASC. Duramags have been solid. Many don't like the curve of the Duramag. IMO it's not that big of a deal. Fit oddly in the mag pouches but they do fit.
The front edge of the feedlip is probably what's doing you in on the ASCs. I dremeled it down on them. That lip as-made, tends to catch the edge of the case mouth when it feeds, so dropping it down ~0.12" fixes that. Put the details on that somewhere on here...