Great range day
The son and I took our ARC's to the range yesterday and both guns performed very well, especially the Odin barred gun. I finally got to dial in the gas block, I was running it full open as in the beginning I was having feeding and lock back issues. The rifle has rifle gas +2, and that was a problem with the rifle buffer system. I contacted Odin about it and apparently they only tested the +2 rifle gas with a 3 oz. carbine buffer system. It would not function with the rifle buffer.

My fix for it was to replace 4 of the steel weights with 4 aluminum weights that I made from 1/2" round bar stock aluminum. Basically I took the 5.2 oz, buffer and made it a 3.6 oz. buffer, then I added a Wolff reduced power action spring. Then I drilled an 1/8" hole in the screw that held the LuthAR stock to the receiver tube, the one on it did not have a vent hole. This may have done nothing, then again it may have made a difference.

I was able to close the gas block off  half way. giving the rifle next to nothing in recoil. Scope stayed on target at all times. The gas hole in the barrel is a whopping .101 diameter, that's huge but it is almost to the the end of the barrel.

There were two nice older gentlemen in the lanes next to us, they were both big time Grendle guys and said that my 6mm had nothing for them that their Grendel couldn't do. That was a mistake on their part. They challenged me to a $5.00 per shot hit or miss @600 yards, and said I could choose my target. There was a row of steel plates out there starting at 18" going down to 8". They were both shocked that I picked the 8" plate and said I will never hit it. Input in my load on the ballistic calculator, dialed in the dope on the scope and took the first shot... Hit that damn plate with authority. Both of them looked at me as if they were staring right through me. Needless to say I came home with an extra $75.00, as neither of them ever hit that plate. I only had to make one shot. Then they said I couldn't do it again I was just lucky. I spent the next half hour banging all that steel out there with only a couple of misses to the right. We had a pretty good wind at times.

The other good moment of the day was when I shot the 200 yard steel with a five shot group in under 10 seconds with all five shots hitting the plate. The one guy said now that's some shootin son. I told him I was taking my time the scope never left the target. Made a coulpe of friends that day.
If you can not see the tyranny of having a gun ban enforced by men with guns... Then you fail to understand why the second amendment was written in the first place.
This is apparently just what Hornady's DoD customer was looking for. Glad you got your system figured out.

Do you think you could have made the 600 yard shot on the 8 inch plate with a Grendel?
(09-13-2020, 12:56 AM)Biodsl Wrote: This is apparently just what Hornady's DoD customer was looking for. Glad you got your system figured out.

Do you think you could have made the 600 yard shot on the 8 inch plate with a Grendel?
At 600 yes, I played their game by their rules. They let me take first shot and pick my target. I think they thought that I would pick the easy 18X24 plate, but I have shot that 8X10 plate before so I knew I could hit it. All my misses that day on the plates were on that one. I have been shooting Precision Rifles for 40+ years. I just look young for my age. Bolt gun in 6mm ARC is definitely in the future for me.
If you can not see the tyranny of having a gun ban enforced by men with guns... Then you fail to understand why the second amendment was written in the first place.
Must be some kind of miracle, went to the shooting range and MADE money! Smile
Were you shooting factory ammo or reloads (details of the load if that's the case please.)?
Great story, thanks for the post.
I was shooting some of my reloads, Those gentlemen were actually very nice folks. And I stopped the challenge before it got out of hand. They were not going to hit that plate, they came close but no hits. Not doubting their abilities, and I offered to shoot at it again to start it over but they said no it was alright. I have never done anything like this at the range before, and it made for an interesting range day. Would I do it again... hell yes I would. You got 5 bucks for a hit, but you paid 5 bucks for a miss to the person that made the previous hit, alternating between shooters. This is why I told them I would shoot the plate again, money was starting to rack up with only one shot fired by me. It just didn't seem like a fair shake for them. But heir challenge and their rules. Nice game to play at the range though. Kind of like range poker, monies went into a pot and winner takes all.

The loads were 29.7gn of Leverevolution, bullet seated at 1.680 at the olgive. I do not seat bullets from the COAL. but the average would be 2.215 with a Nossler 105 RDF. This is my pet load for this gun right now, I have not found another round that can top it as of date. Loaded to this length gives me about a .035 lead jump with this bullet. And I have played around with the lead jump, and this seems to be the sweet spot for this one. This bullet is long and slender with a very high BC of .571.