6mm ARC bolt life
Anyone have an idea as to the service life of an AR15 6mm ARC bolt? 

Doing some quick searches it looks like a 5.5 bolt lasts ~10,000 rd by some reports
I have heard of premature failures on Grendels, have not seen any. And I don't think anyone has had an ARC long enough to put enough rounds through them. I think the bolt failures on Grendels was caused by garbage ammo that was on the market. Crap like Wolf steel case and the batch of PPU that got recalled. We don't have those issues with the ARC. I think that conversation is mostly academic. 10k round count is as good of an estimate as any.
I am your uncle!
Depends upon how hot you load it. I go near max but not over. I've sheared 2 bolts including a JP in my Grendel (with the JP being partially my fault), a Maxim at 1500 in my ARC and a Toolcraft Type 1 in my 243 LBC (basically a 6 Grendel). I'd be happy if a bolt lasted as long as a barrel in Arc/Grendel, but that hasn't been my experience.
#FJB
(10-23-2023, 05:07 AM)StoneHendge Wrote: Depends upon how hot you load it. I go near max but not over. I've sheared 2 bolts including a JP in my Grendel (with the JP being partially my fault), a Maxim at 1500 in my ARC and a Toolcraft Type 1 in my 243 LBC (basically a 6 Grendel). I'd be happy if a bolt lasted as long as a barrel in Arc/Grendel, but that hasn't been my experience.
Interesting, good to know. I'm not surprised your bolt failed before your barrel. ARCs and Grendels are fairly low pressure, so they're supposed to be pretty easy on barrels. I'm at about 1000 rounds out of my ARC, and I haven't seen any issues with my bolt. And yes, I do a thorough inspection on my rifles every 1000 rounds.
I am your uncle!
(10-23-2023, 05:07 AM)StoneHendge Wrote: Depends upon how hot you load it. I go near max but not over. I've sheared 2 bolts including a JP in my Grendel (with the JP being partially my fault), a Maxim at 1500 in my ARC and a Toolcraft Type 1 in my 243 LBC (basically a 6 Grendel). I'd be happy if a bolt lasted as long as a barrel in Arc/Grendel, but that hasn't been my experience.

Where did the bolt shear? Cam pin hole?