Trying to decide on a 12.5 barrel, I'd like to go with the 12.5 Faxon to save some money but may try to snag a Noveske Leonidas 12.5 instead if the Faxon isn't given any thumbs up. I know that Centurion 12.5 is really nice but that stainless steel is very shiny and the free float I have for it is only 10.5 in length. I also saw a Lija 12.5 being offered for a few dollars less than the Centurion but the finish is unknown to me.

Just ordered the CMC 6 ARC BCG for this, if that helps any in the decision making process. 

Any advice and opinions on my list? Stop being a nancy and get the Faxon despite it being cheaper? Or stop being a poor and get the Noveske?
Any particular reason you want a short barrel? What are you building this rifle (SBR?) to do?
On my ARC, I run a Faxon 20" and love it. I've had great results with Faxon barrels in other calibers as well. For the money they are excellent.
I am your uncle!
Is this a question thing where 12.5 is the equivalent ballistics as a 7.5 is to 5.56? Or is there a reason why you need to know why I want a 12.5?

Unless the ballistics are like a 380 with 223 out of 7.5 inch, then I don't think that there should be any concern with why someone wants a 12.5. I don't mean to be defensive, but it's a very odd question to ask in a thread asking which barrel to choose from.
I didn't mean to offend you, I'm from the "build to the mission" school of thought. That's reason I asked. What is the mission of the rifle you're building? I'm curious about our reasoning behind choosing such a short barrel. Learning your reasoning increases my knowledge base, and could be that by sounding off, you may notice there might be other choices better suited for the mission of your rifle.
My question is for exchanging knowledge, no need to get defensive, you are not under attack.
I am your uncle!
(10-24-2023, 07:24 AM)UncleBob Wrote: I didn't mean to offend you, I'm from the "build to the mission" school of thought. That's reason I asked. What is the mission of the rifle you're building? I'm curious about our reasoning behind choosing such a short barrel. Learning your reasoning increases my knowledge base, and could be that by sounding off, you may notice there might be other choices better suited for the mission of your rifle.
My question is for exchanging knowledge, no need to get defensive, you are not under attack.
I have one of Six Five Outfitters 12" barrels, it is a fantastic barrel. It actually shoots better than I thought it would. I also have had and still have three Faxon barrels in my collection, one of them is in 6ARC. It is the 20" fluted heavy match barrel, it shoots sub moa. Faxon does make a decent barrel but they can be hit or miss. Their match grade stuff is pretty good.

Six Five Outfitter

https://www.sixfiveoutfitters.com/product/monster-12/
If you can not see the tyranny of having a gun ban enforced by men with guns... Then you fail to understand why the second amendment was written in the first place.
(10-24-2023, 07:24 AM)UncleBob Wrote: I didn't mean to offend you, I'm from the "build to the mission" school of thought. That's reason I asked. What is the mission of the rifle you're building? I'm curious about our reasoning behind choosing such a short barrel. Learning your reasoning increases my knowledge base, and could be that by sounding off, you may notice there might be other choices better suited for the mission of your rifle.
Plethora of reasons. But saying a do all master of none jack of all trades will suffice as a good short and sweet explanation.

However, if you want a wall of text in explanation...

When you want a GOAT that can be used to clear your home of any invasion my methheads but still being able to nail the bad guy 300 yards out with a scope to do PID with. My 11.5 SBR with red dot is in 5.56 and small, maneuverable, and easy to use. However do the Scrambler at Gunsite and see if your home defense rifle with a dot is optimal past indoors minute of man when the targets are earth tone meaning camouflaged. I could put a prism ACOG on it but the eye relief is fixed. I could run a dot on top but it's too tall for me. I could use a magnifier but then I may as well have an LPVO there then. Offsets are meh and only really work if your position is wonky. But you'd still have to get a precise zero from it at an offset angle in order to get there. No thank you. An LPVO is heavy, too heavy for the HD role and that's just my opinion here. However I can make a compromise by having a companion upper to my normal 5.56 SBR in the recce format should the need arise for it. It's called being able to adaptable and taking advantage of a modular rifle system. I may even do a third upper, in 300 BO.

Plus by being able to swap to 6 ARC when I need a bit more punch, that means I can leave the AR10 at home and have something that can be used for almost any situation that's defensive in nature. Which in turn means that I can use gear that already works with the magazine footprint instead of having to get another placard and another well equipped belt that's just for 308.
Your not gonna want to touch off a round indoors from a short barrel 6ARC with out hearing protection. it will defiantly give you some eardrum damage. You would be better off with a pistol for home defense. My son popped one off at the outdoor range while I had my back turned to him, I did not have my ears on and to this day I hear ringing in my ears...
If you can not see the tyranny of having a gun ban enforced by men with guns... Then you fail to understand why the second amendment was written in the first place.
(10-25-2023, 10:50 AM)Dino11 Wrote: Your not gonna want to touch off a round indoors from a short barrel 6ARC with out hearing protection. it will defiantly give you some eardrum damage. You would be better off with a pistol for home defense. My son popped one off at the outdoor range while I had my back turned to him, I did not have my ears on and to this day I hear ringing in my ears...
Well it's a good thing that I already own a 30 cal can then. And already BTDT with 5.56 from a 14.5 USGI M4, meh. And I would certainly not be better off with a handgun to go through more walls than the 6 would. Handgun round ballistics stink compared to a rifle. Plus rifles are easier to use to defend with. I cannot see any negative by choosing a rifle other than this straw man argument that has nothing to do with my question for which 12.5 barrel.

Do you have any useful data in helping me determine which 12.5 6 ARC barrel to get? Because that is the only opinion that I am looking for, not this sidebar off topic which I was trying to avoid altogether until I was politely asked as to why.
You need to chill out... I did post earlier in this thread with a recommendation for a barrel, and my experience with Faxon barrels. You never mentioned that you had a can and I was just trying to warn you how loud the short barrel ARC can be. As far as penetration through walls you are correct about a rifle penetrating through several walls, I hope your neighbors are a good distance away from you if you should penetrate an exterior wall.

By the way I had my first 6ARC two weeks after it was released, and currently have six of them in just about every configuration you can think of. And I have been doing load development since the beginning, I might just know a thing or two about them.
I've been chilled out, but you need to understand something and then take your own chilling out advice and cease and desist with this nonsense.

I don't have to mention about a can, you assumed to much and without asking. And were you aware that there are plenty of people who have the same exact experiences as you? Did you even attempt to think of that before making another assumption? And you are incorrect thinking that 6 will go through more walls than a 9x19. I too hope that you are going to one day learn that you assume too much of things and think that we all live close together.

By the way what? Straw man, that's what. And yet you don't know the ballistics between a 9 and 6 ARC going through walls either.

Now I thank you for your service in answer about the Faxon barrel. But that was all that was necessary. The rest was absolutely not needed and very off topic. When you come to realize that and lose your narcissism in this weird flex of yours in a barrel thread for 12.5, then we can chat without you attacking me and me correcting you in return.

I'm a very nice guy, please stop.
TQR, like was advised, and so now as moderator, my advice to you is to calm down. This forum is composed of upbeat, professional behaving members. Each has his/her own opinions and reasons, but no one assumes ill of the other.

Sounds to me as though you might be a bit too quick on the trigger. That is not needed here, so like I said... be advised. Keep it polite and on the level.
That was not an advise, that was projection on his part because he would not back down and had to continue to insist he was in the "right" despite not being right at all and derailed this by wanting to continue despite me telling him that it was unnecessary.

Good advise from a mod would be to tell both to chill out and not take sides as it took two and one of which doubled down on it.

I'm not too quick on anything, it wasn't me that wanted to assume of the other callously. Anyway, thread is done so I ask to please lock as it has served it's purpose and been derailed enough by someone that I now want nothing to do with.
Locked to document warning.