Hogs with 6ARC
Got a chance to go Hog hunting in Nov. So.   I have 103 ELDX factory and I have 90gr GMX/CX Hornady loads .

Any one done hogs with a bolt 6 arc ?

Tips are welcome.

Thanks

And what size for eating , will be my first hog (if I get one ) and have heard all the stories about big is not better, and bigger tastes great , so clue me in
I have no experience shooting hogs with 6mm ARC ammo but I do have experience eating feral hog meat. Killed one hog that was a large boar & several others that were about year old sows. The young sows were more tender than the bigger boar but not by much. The boar meat was just fine. The loins & tenderloins seared in a frying pan & then roasted in a crock pot with some chicken stock for about 6 hrs. will melt in your mouth! With other cuts, I do the same but cook them up to 8 hrs. in the crock pot. Then I shred the meat, add some BBQ sauce & return it to the crock pot for another 2 hrs. I'll make a large batch & have BBQ pork sandwiches for a week! If processed correctly, no matter the size, they all taste great.
The trick is growing up without growing old. -- Casey Stengal
(10-23-2023, 10:03 PM)Old Bob Wrote: I have no experience shooting hogs with 6mm ARC ammo but I do have experience eating feral hog meat. Killed one hog that was a large boar & several others that were about year old sows. The young sows were more tender than the bigger boar but not by much. The boar meat was just fine. The loins & tenderloins seared in a frying pan & then roasted in a crock pot with some chicken stock for about 6 hrs. will melt in your mouth! With other cuts, I do the same but cook them up to 8 hrs. in the crock pot. Then I shred the meat, add some BBQ sauce & return it to the crock pot for another 2 hrs. I'll make a large batch & have BBQ pork sandwiches for a week!  If processed correctly, no matter the size, they all taste great.
Thanks, I do crock pot deer now so I should be good to go.
Sounds like a good time & good eating. Wish it wasn't so far. If I had a local opportunity I would be making such a hunt happen as well.
I shot a large sow at 268 yds. with the 103 ELDX. Shot 1 dropped her, shots 2 and 3 kicked up dirt, 4th shot was it.
(11-10-2023, 05:50 PM)tomt Wrote: I shot  a large sow at 268 yds. with the 103 ELDX. Shot 1 dropped her, shots 2 and 3 kicked up dirt, 4th shot was it.
Thanks, I was trying to decide whether to go with my 6arc or my 6.5 CM. I have decided on the 6arc gonna try 90gr GLX bullets with 30.7 grs of LR powder. Seems to shoot good in this rifle.

Hopefully I will end up with some pork chops out of it.
(11-10-2023, 11:24 PM)Bassfish1952 Wrote:
(11-10-2023, 05:50 PM)tomt Wrote: I shot  a large sow at 268 yds. with the 103 ELDX. Shot 1 dropped her, shots 2 and 3 kicked up dirt, 4th shot was it.
Thanks, I was trying to decide whether to go with my 6arc or my 6.5 CM. I have decided on the 6arc gonna try 90gr GLX bullets with 30.7 grs of LR powder. Seems to shoot good in this rifle.

Hopefully I will end up with some pork chops out of it.
Good hunting. Post some pics.
I am your uncle!
(10-23-2023, 07:52 PM)Bassfish1952 Wrote: Got a chance to go Hog hunting in Nov. So.   I have 103 ELDX factory and I have 90gr GMX/CX Hornady loads .

Any one done hogs with a bolt 6 arc ?

Tips are welcome.

Thanks

And what size for eating , will be my first hog (if I get one ) and have heard all the stories about big is not better, and bigger tastes great , so clue me in
I know this is an old thread, but I just found this forum… in January I went on a hog hunt and killed 4 with the 6 Arc. I’ve had that gun for 4 years and killed 4 deer and 4 hogs. In my experience, it is a fine hunting cartridge. 

the hogs were taken with my hand loaded 103 ELDX rounds and took one shot per animal. I think I like that bullet, but I may experiment with other projectiles in the future. I have also killed deer with the 108 ELDM and an 88g hammer hunter. I liked the results of the 108 better than the Hammer. 

My gun is a gas gun, not a bolt. I like the gas gun for hogs! I have killed and eaten hogs up to 150lbs or so, and my opinion is that they taste great! Preparation is key as well as spice and cooking method and time. I hope you had a good hunt!