Bot Howa 1500 in 6mm ARC
Just bot a Howa 1500 in 6mm ARC. Im a bit disappointed.  The chassis on it is cheap plastic and really needs to be replaced. So, Im planning on purchasing an aftermarket chassis. I was considering this MDT https://mdttac.com/lss-xl-gen2-chassis-system any other good choices? 

In addition to the stock chassis being low quality, the magazines do not seem particularly good. Im assuming that the mag below will fit the LSS-XL gen2 chassis, right?

https://themagshack.com/shop/rifle-magaz...-magazine/

Th description says the mag is for short action, but the 6mm ARC is the mini action! Im confused ?
You've met the key low-points of the howa's. plus the plastic "lower metal".
I've used the regular mdt LSS which is fine, the lss-xl is probably a little more fore-end under the barrel but other than that it is similar.
I like the mdt's, they work well.

MDT does one thing different for the howa mini, though, and that is they use the howa mags, so that AICS mag won't be needed. Unless they have changed their design. They will tell you down in the notes part for that chassis.

My current howa mini (6.5 grendel) is in the mdt-lss, and doing fine.

The mags, lots of folks don't like them, but they work for me so I use them. I'm not planning on any rough treatment of them.

If you want to avoid the howa mag altogether then look at either the B&C for howa mini or a boyd's, and get the jefferson lower-metal that converts you to a BDL-type internal mag setup (either stock type will work w/ them). Lots of the guys on 6.5 grendel.com use these and they are good. Might be another mfr that does those too but I forget its name.
Oregon Gunsmithing, Wayne York has the BDL style mag and floorplate.
I'm going to the range in a bit to see one of these Howas. I'm told its really lightweight due to the skinny barrel and tupperware stock, so should be quite a bit different than my 110T.
I'm just back from the range, observing while a new Howa Mini synthetic stocked rifle was first shot. First impressions are that the tupperware stock is OK, and the magazine and hardware is also only OK. It has a slender 22" (?)barrel, but didn't heat up quickly, and appeared to group well out to 300 yards with 103gr Hornady Hunter ammo. We mounted a 2.5-10x SWFA ultralight scope on it, and it will make a nice hunting rifle. I think I would prefer the walnut stock, but that's me.
My Howa mini shot good out of the box with Black 105s I let it get a bit hot while playing around with some freindly competion with the family. I went through 35 rounds that afternoon so I cleaned the bore. Nothing crazy just brush and patches hoppes and clean patchs blah blah blah just a normal cleaning. nothing special. This rig wont group anything now. I can get noslers to play nice with varget but the accuarrcy just poof is gone.

This has the package deal optic and I am thinking this is the whole issue I just didn't have anything that size to change to check. I got in a new bushnell to see this week. I had hopes but I dont want to invest in the chassis and build if this base barrel is bad from over heating. the round count overall is 356
When you take off the optic, double check the mounting rail (or rings/bases but the ones I've had, grr, BO, etc have a rail). Howa and others have a tendency to not tighten them down.
Clean off the oil, tighten to IIRC ~18 inch pds, and use some blue loktite.
No loktite for the rings of course.

Come to think of it, never did like the nikko stirlings. Took them off and put a vortex on them.
I went with a barreled action as I did not think I would be satisfied with a factory tupperware stock. Went with a Stocky's VG offering. Still found myself replacing the bottom "metal" with Jefferson outdoors bottom metal. Plus one, on the Jefferson outdoors bottom metal. I tried the BDL offering & the CZ mag option. The CZ mag has been my preference. Then I am a CZ 527 guy with ample magazines.

A gripe not mentioned above that came into play for me was the bolt face chewing up brass. Some lapping compound on the face of a spent cartridge placed in a cordless drill resolved that issue for me.

As I mentioned earlier, I favor the CZ527. Thus I rebarreled a CZ527 in 7.62 x 39 to 6mm ARC. This has been my favorite 6mm ARC to date. I really like the CZ527 trigger.
(02-04-2024, 11:48 PM)grayfox Wrote: When you take off  the optic, double check the mounting rail (or rings/bases but the ones I've had, grr, BO, etc have a rail).  Howa and others have a tendency to not tighten them down.
Clean off the oil, tighten to IIRC ~18 inch pds, and use some blue loktite.
No loktite for the rings of course.

Come to think of it, never did like the nikko stirlings.  Took them off and put a vortex on them.

This is a relief I just cant not figure it out with different loadings factory ammo etc...  So keep it simple stupid should have been my first thought.    I have a bushnell prime I got a steal on a closeout,  I will remove the mounts maybe go with the DNZ rail and mount this new little bushnell and see what I have.  Thank you for the reminder to never trust factory mounted optics Big Grin