Starline brass
anyone having any problems with starline brass with top level loads, my 1X fired brass are pretty much junk after resizing.
on the left is a 3X fired Hornady, right is 1X fired starline with the same load. look just above the rim.
[Image: vVpUHwt.jpg]
Small base die? Looks shorter in the neck than the Hornady case. I've never used starline but just got 100 of them to try, usually convert Hornady 6.5 grr to arc.
just a standard hornady custom die
What do they look like before resizing?
#FJB
No issues here with upper end, bolt action loads after 4 firings in my Howa mini or my Pacnor barreled CZ527. Using a mighty armory full length sizing die, in my case.

Looks like you should dispose of your brass, Send the Virgin brass my waySmile

JS1122: Seriously, what rifle system are you using your brass in? Are you working with upper Gas gun loads or Bolt gun loads?
(11-14-2023, 11:11 AM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: No issues here with upper end,  bolt action loads after 4 firings in my Howa mini or my Pacnor barreled CZ527. Using a mighty armory full length sizing die, in my case.

JS1122: Seriously, what rifle system are you using your brass in? Are you working with upper Gas gun loads or Bolt gun loads?
Its a gas gun, and it is a max book load from hornady's gas gun data sheet, but the hornady brass takes thee same load in stride.
my hornady brass is on its 3rd loading with the same load.
The starline brass has, IIRC, a slightly smaller interior volume. So using the "book max" hornady load is probably putting your brass over the Saami limit. That's why it is "faring poorly" so to speak.
When building a load any difference in components, from primer, to brass mfr, to even powder lot#, you don't simply put your load from an earlier work-up (let alone a max book load) and expect things to go well. Need to work up from a minimum or lower load first. And watch your MV, if you go over-max (as adjusted for barrel length) then you are above the pressure limits that the book (in this case Hornady) got for its MV/load... even if you are below that "book max."
Same barrel for both the Hornady and Starline load? Interesting you would have different brass effects.
:: 6mmARC Target Cartridge with Hunting Capability :: 6.5 GRENDEL Hunting Cartridge with Target Capability :: 
:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
(11-14-2023, 10:47 PM)js1172 Wrote:
(11-14-2023, 11:11 AM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: No issues here with upper end,  bolt action loads after 4 firings in my Howa mini or my Pacnor barreled CZ527. Using a mighty armory full length sizing die, in my case.

Its a gas gun, and it is a max book load from hornady's gas gun data sheet, but the hornady brass takes thee same load in stride.
my hornady brass is on its 3rd loading with the same load.

Like mentioned here No reason to expect two diffrent manufacturers, Brass to perform exactly the same. More often than not, I am running right at 1 grain below max listed  bolt gun, load in my rifle. If you like send some my way & Ill run a test in a bolt action system.
Any chance you have chronograph data for the Hornady & the Starline brass, loads?
Interesting, I'm not seeing any issues with mine. How far are you setting back the shoulders? Try backing off on shoulder setback.
I am your uncle!