Anyone used Hornady Black on game
Using the 105 grain BTHP?
Give Hornady a call & ask why the 105's are not marketed as a hunting round. Simply not the correct bullet for the job.

Phone: 1-800-338-3220
Phone: 1-308-382-1390

Can it be done? yes

Can anything go wrong? Yes

Should you try it? I would not. Recipe w a high probability of a poor experience.

Study up differences in hunting projectiles VS target projectiles.
(12-06-2023, 10:25 PM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: Give Hornady a call & ask why the 105's are not marketed as a hunting round. Simply not the correct bullet for the job.

Phone: 1-800-338-3220
Phone: 1-308-382-1390

Can it be done? yes

Can anything go wrong? Yes

Should you try it? I would not. Recipe w a high probability of a poor experience.

Study up differences in hunting projectiles VS target projectiles.
I have used many match bullets for taking game with few issues. I know the differences. Regular hunting bullets can have issues also. Today I did a jug test with the bullet pushed to just under 2600 fps. Went through 3 gallon milk jugs, destroying the first two and splitting the third. it missed the fourth jug but went into the berm. Any bullet that gets through 3 jugs has enough penetration for deer. I also tested the 100 gr. Speer BTSP at the same velocity and found it in the third jug. Jugs were set up in front of my 100 yard berm and shot from 100 yards. After deer season the hog wars will begin anew and some testing on them will ensue. Many people have reported good results on deer using the 105 gr. HPBT out of 243 rifles. As for asking Hornady I'm sure they want to sell their more expensive bullets and if they have any military contracts surely do not want their match bullets labeled as hunting bullets.
You're free to use what you want, but the issue with the 105 hpbt match bullets is not the penetration, it is whether they have enough expansion to do adequate internal damage for a quick, humane kill inside the animal.

Some match bullets, like the 123 Eldm with the grendel, are moving slowly enough and are soft enough that most times they seem to perform well in hunting apps. And some really good shooters use a "varmint" bullet (the TNT 90 gr 6.5) as a pig bullet... 'course they mostly hit the hog behind the ear for a cns shot.
In a 243 Win the 105 could be moving fast enough to fragment once inside the deer...
A much wiser choice would be to use a bullet in 6Arc designed - or at least known and proven - to be a proper hunting round. Again, for a cns shot, head shot, or high spinal shot, even a 105 would do the trick. But why would you want to put a pencil hole through a broadside -- "good penetration"? Like I said, it's your choice...
(12-07-2023, 02:20 PM)grayfox Wrote: You're free to use what you want, but the issue with the 105 hpbt match bullets is not the penetration, it is whether they have enough expansion to do adequate internal damage for a quick, humane kill inside the animal.

Some match bullets, like the 123 Eldm with the grendel, are moving slowly enough and are soft enough that most times they seem to perform well in hunting apps.  And some really good shooters use a "varmint" bullet (the TNT 90 gr 6.5) as a pig bullet... 'course they mostly hit the hog behind the ear for a cns shot. 
In a 243 Win the 105 could be moving fast enough to fragment once inside the deer...
A much wiser choice would be to use a bullet in 6Arc designed - or at least known and proven - to be a proper hunting round.  Again, for a cns shot, head shot, or high spinal shot, even a 105 would do the trick.  But why would you want to put a pencil hole through a broadside -- "good penetration"?  Like I said, it's your choice...

The bullet definitely expanded but then my hunting of feral hogs is usually at night and CNS hits are what I do. The pretty big airspace in the front of the bullet and a relatively soft jacket make this bullet usable generally. In fact in doing some searching it appears to have a following of both hunters and target shooters. However I was only asking for anyone here with experience using it started at 6ARC speeds.
I'm sure they will chime in if they have that experience.
My usage of them has only been on paper.
I learned my lesson early on in my coyote hunting days. I will never hunt with match bullets.
I am your uncle!
I used the Sierra 53 grain Matchking on some vermin that bullet was one tough bullet. Not all are like that.
If I had no other choice and absolutely needed to use the the 6mm ARC with 105 grain bullets, I would be striving for High shoulder or high shoulder shot. Or better yet, I would strive to get my hands on a real hunting bullet.
Well it's not like I have to get perfect bullet performance. I have had very good performance out of Hornady's 75 gr. BTHP out of a 223 on feral hogs and deer both. Seems like 30 more grains of bullet weight would only make things better.
If this seems to be the ethical choice to you, & you choose to not utilize better options available, these are decisions only you can make for yourself. Wish you well which ever way you decide.

For me & my deer hunting, Ill be reloading a all copper hunting bullet for such an application more often than not.
(12-14-2023, 02:06 AM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: If this seems to be the ethical choice to you, & you choose to not utilize better options available, these are decisions only you can make for yourself. Wish you well which ever way you decide.

For me & my deer hunting, Ill be reloading a all copper hunting bullet for such an application more often than not.
I had very bad experiences using mono bullets in the past. The early Barnes X bullets really turned me off them.
I would think that for hunting game a “unleaded” bullet would be the best option, IMHO. Why? Since we are looking at bullet fragmentation inside the animal my concern is ingesting small lead fragments when eating the meat. So, for that reason I prefer copper bullets despite their cost. Propaganda??? https://www.ehn.org/lead-ammunition-in-m...08170.html
"I had very bad experiences using mono bullets in the past. The early Barnes X bullets really turned me off them."

Mono bullets are completely impact-velocity sensitive. But the greatness of this land is each shooter's power to choose for himself.
My preference if a mono, is something more like the ttsx's of Barnes, plus stay at distances above the min opening by ~150 or so (Barnes testing is in water which is harder thus shows lower opening, than gel or flesh). But I'll use either type, depending on what I'm doing.