Leverevolution?
Is this powder worth investing in an 8# if on sale?
NO!!!! you need to send it to me!!! for safe disposal!!!
lol.
Just kidding!
Lever is the go-to for most 6Arc loads.

Just be aware that in hot weather it may spike on you - believe I saw some of that at 90 degF couple months ago. Has some temp sensitivity.
I haven't seen a lot of slow-down at the lower temps but I haven't been in too much of that, so caveat also if your hunting temps go down below, say, 30 deg F.
(12-18-2023, 04:08 PM)Diesel Pro Wrote: Is this powder worth investing in an 8# if on sale?

I think it depends on what bullets you want to shoot.  For the heavier bullets, it is one of the favorites for some reloaders.  For lighter bullets, I think there are better powders.
Not looking like there are going to be many offerings in heavy varmint bullets, but I may try something in the 100+ range.
88 berger varmint in my 20" AR, 2889, 13.1 sd, 2841 better, 8.4 sd.
With Lvr, 2.200".

I was going to try it with 75 Vmax but have been too busy on other loads.
Powder Valley has a little bit of a sale on the 8# jugs FYI. I grabbed one plus a single of AR comp and some 75 Vmax
I bought a # over the weekend at a gunshow for $45; been wanting to try with some heavier projo's.
Lever under heavies is doing very well in my 16" Rebby Lilja. Under a minute with the Hornady 105 BTHP and and just over with the 105 RDFs. Running fast with 29.5grs @ 2580-ish. Can you tell which one is my first shot of the day? LOL! 

[Image: 20231215-072241-1.jpg]
Nice shooting but OMG! 2850 from a 16" AR...?
That seems like, sunspot hot! Be careful.
Edit to add: maybe I misread it, it now says 2580...
I got out to shoot a bit Saturday with the grandsons. I didn't have enough time to do a lot of my stuff as I was getting them set up with their 10/22's and new Christmas scopes. I had them ringing 4" steel from 100yds off my portable bench.

At any rate, no chrono data, but I sent some down the tube. I have a Labradar, but it was right around 30-32 degrees out and enough fog/mist in the air that my bench top started to ice over. What I can report is that the 31.6 gr max loads with 87 Vmax seem to cycle my Cobalt pretty reliably. First shot single fed on an empty mag locked open after the shot so I stacked them in and cycled through the rest. I believe that the final round did not lock open, but they all fed.
I have had some trouble at times with lever and the 30-32 deg temps/mist/fog, on the final shots - sometimes the bcg is maybe just a bit too gummed/fouled/whatever up to cycle freely. Not every time but sometimes.
Everything clean with the gun. Cobalt said they would send me some buffer weights and springs to test. We'll see what shows up. Unfortunately the weather is only going to get colder for a while now. I do hope to get back out though and get dialed in better. I picked up a Sig Tango MSR 1-6 on holiday sale and was using that. It did not seem to want to respond to clicks though like it should so I need to revisit that as well. Not sure I'm going to get the precise point of aim that I prefer for development from this optic though...
I'll mention one other thing that has seemed to help (I say "seemed" b/c haven't tested it a lot yet but so far so good) in the bolt/bcg/sluggish cycle category, is I got some hornady 1-shot clean/lube can - not the reloading one (which is red) but the black can. It dries and leaves a thin dry lube surface that doesn't attract moisture as much as normal gun oils... nice and slick for inner parts.
Anyway, I once had a bolt hang up (in a TC bolt gun 7-08, not AR) but it almost spoiled my early morning hunt in ~30 deg weather and dampness, click-nobang. Quietly try to cycle bolt, then click-nobang. That deer was very patient and waited for me to go thru 4 times of this before I got stuff to work!! That culprit was Rem-oil, which I promptly banished. But as a result I'm a bit more sensitive than some guys on this topic.
Sorry I have some very iron-clad opinions on some oils out there... even for cars but I digress!
I can add just a small bit of information to this thread. I think the LeverEvolution is just fine and can certainly produce a good load. I just didn't get the velocity out of my 18" Shaw as everyone was raving about. My gun likes to run the 103ELD-X at about 2565. It took me 3 less grains to get there with AR Comp than with LeverEvo. I can also confirm that high pressure can sneak up on you a little with LeverEvo. I would advise going up in 0.1gr as you approach the top end.

Others, in my opinion, worth trying with the 105 class bullets are: Match Rifle, IMR3031, A2495, BL-C2, N540 and W748. All of these will give you a pretty full case and efficient burn.

I also use Hornady One Shot extensively on my AR's.
Eezox is top of my list for gun lube. I love the needle dropper bottles. Just started using it as CLP rather than just a lube after cleaning. Tri Flow is another fave but haven't gone beyond lubing my sizing dies lightly before sizing yet. Both handle heat and cold well and actually become more of a dry type lube that doesn't attract dust.

My cycling issue is just not enough gas with light bullets, but a can will take care of that.

On lever workup I have a ladder from 31.6 down in .2 increments. I'll probably explore any potential sweet spots with .1gr increments just for good measure. Doubt I will try past 31.6gr

I have a pound of AR comp here as well. Not really looking to push heavy bullets at this point. Maybe Nosler accubond if I decide to hunt game with it, but otherwise Vmax/Blitz type frangibles.

On Lever
Let us know how the ladder goes. I ran into pressure at 29gr with the 105’s.
Hodgdon has 28.5 as max for LVR under 103’s so not surprised you are seeing pressure signs with 29 under 105’s. I was able to safely get to their max, 28.2, under 107’s at 46 degrees.
(01-04-2024, 08:56 PM)icallitmaize Wrote: Let us know how the ladder goes. I ran into pressure at 29gr with the 105’s.

Ran into pressure at 29gr in a gas gun or bolt action?
(01-04-2024, 08:56 PM)icallitmaize Wrote: Let us know how the ladder goes. I ran into pressure at 29gr with the 105’s.

My ladder is with the 87 Vmax FYI and 31.6 shows as max.  I've sent a dozen down the tube without incident so far, but no chrono data yet.
Gas gun. 103’s