suppressed ?
Thinking of putting a suppressor on my 525 bolt. Anybody use them and if so which ones do you recommend ?

Thanks
about 2-3 yrs ago I pitched in, a tbac ultra 7 (7") 30 cal. 30 cal is a multi for me, it can handle smaller bullets too.
But tbh nowadays I wonder if at my age, it is worth it. You plunk your money down, go through all the paperwork, then wait for a year.
A thousand bucks more or less, 1 year later, can buy a lot of earplugs and muffs.
I've shot with it a few times, but haven't really got into it.
It doesn't completely silence the blast, you have to still wear hearing protection. Cuts it down to about 135 db, which will still damage hearing.
Heats up fast and hot, to use it you need your adapter tight on the muzzle with rokset, which is about the only thing that can stand the heat. Not even loktite red. This means you most likely have to leave it on the muzzle (I found a way to get it off but it's a pain and not the thing to go on, then off, then on again etc). There are kinds of adapters, like the area 419, which again, seems cool, but now you're in to multiple threadings and will one wiggle even that little bit, throwing your accuracy off (happened to me)? My conclusion is you pretty much have to go all-suppressor for that rifle. Tbac has a brake on its adapter but it isn't much of a brake, once you've used some of the VG styles that really help.
But if you want to go the route, the tbac (thunder beast) ultra is a very nice setup.
I have several cans and use them on my 18” and 13” 6ARCs, as well as all my other rifles.

Some still need hearing protection. The 22 rimfires don’t, and the subsonic 300blk is OK without also. I find the recoil reduction to be almost as important as noise. It allows me to spot my shots easier and to get off second shots quicker.

Thunderbeast has a great reputation. I have a SilencerCo Omega 300 and love it. My AAC 762-SDN-6 is nice, but I hated the 51T mount and had it changed to SilencerCo ASR style.
(01-31-2024, 01:44 AM)grayfox Wrote: about 2-3 yrs ago I pitched in, a tbac ultra 7 (7") 30 cal.  30 cal is a multi for me, it can handle smaller bullets too.
But tbh nowadays I wonder if at my age, it is worth it.  You plunk your money down, go through all the paperwork, then wait for a year.
A thousand bucks more or less, 1 year later, can buy a lot of earplugs and muffs.
I've shot with it a few times, but haven't really got into it.
It doesn't completely silence the blast, you have to still wear hearing protection.  Cuts it down to about 135 db, which will still damage hearing.
Heats up fast and hot, to use it you need your adapter tight on the muzzle with rokset, which is about the only thing that can stand the heat.  Not even loktite red.  This means you most likely have to leave it on the muzzle (I found a way to get it off but it's a pain and not the thing to go on, then off, then on again etc).  There are kinds of adapters, like the area 419, which again, seems cool, but now you're in to multiple threadings and will one wiggle even that little bit, throwing your accuracy off (happened to me)?  My conclusion is you pretty much have to go all-suppressor for that rifle.  Tbac has a brake on its adapter but it isn't much of a brake, once you've used some of the VG styles that really help.
But if you want to go the route, the tbac (thunder beast) ultra is a very nice setup.
I was thinking I could carry in my pack and put it on in the blind just to be a little quieter in the field. Truthfully maybe 20 shots thru it in a years time. 
For me I just turn my hearing aids all the way down  Big Grin

(01-31-2024, 03:55 AM)SBRSarge Wrote: I have several cans and use them on my 18” and 13” 6ARCs, as well as all my other rifles.

Some still need hearing protection. The 22 rimfires don’t, and the subsonic 300blk is OK without also. I find the recoil reduction to be almost as important as noise. It allows me to spot my shots easier and to get off second shots quicker.

Thunderbeast has a great reputation. I have a SilencerCo Omega 300 and love it. My AAC 762-SDN-6 is nice, but I hated the 51T mount and had it changed to SilencerCo ASR style.
I shoot a ruger #1 and a CZ527 that has the mag removed and a single shot adapter in so second shot for me is not as important .I was mainly thinking about shooting one deer and then waiting for the others to return for a second deer in the freezer. Thinking lower noise faster return time.

I was hoping to try one but have not found a place near me that has rentals .

Thanks for the reply
Rentals may be tough... I've never heard of that for an NFA item...

I had a couple trips where I shot a deer (from a stand), (no suppressor), then about 30 min later they start showing up again. Got a second one.
Happened to me twice, maybe three times.
Not that I have 40 years of success mind you, so small sample size.
(01-31-2024, 03:16 PM)grayfox Wrote: Rentals may be tough... I've never heard of that for an NFA item...

I had a couple trips where I shot a deer (from a stand), (no suppressor), then about 30 min later they start showing up again.  Got a second one.
Happened to me twice, maybe three times.
Not that I have 40 years of success mind you, so small sample size.
First time I went hunting after a long break, My grandson and I (his first time ever ) Walked in sat down in the blind 5 min later he shot first deer, less than 5 later I shot my first deer ,  30 min later he got his second and less than a min later I got my second. 
We were on a 2 day hunt so we spent the rest of that day and all of the second day just enjoying the time together and watching deer play. 
That's a hunt I will remember the rest of my life.

I have watched a lot of YouTube videos of suppressors and of night vision attachments to add to my scope . Early morning and late evening light makes the last and first 30min of sitting in a blind hard since I can't see but it is legal shoot time. 

Oh well always looking at new toys that might be fun
For every wallet in the blue jeans, there is a toy on the shelf...
lol!!! Know the feeling for sure!!
I am 62 and have been shooting 59 of those years. I have permanently damaged my hearing and the ringing in my ears is distracting at times. There is no way I am letting my son grow up shooting and wind up with the same issues. A can is cheap compared to hearing damage.

I also shoot a lot of sbr’s. I own more of those than standard sized rifles. I shoot all of them suppressed. If you ever shoot a 11” 223 unsuppressed you won’t question the value of a can.

I also hunt suppressed. There are many benefits to hunting suppressed the biggest being not destroying my ears on a snap shot. While hunting suppressed I have seen many instances where the can made the difference in getting an animal vs not. Case in point: I took my son to AK for a caribou hunt. For what ever reason he missed his first two shots on his caribou. The group knew something was up but that’s it. They came right to us where my son then made a good shot on his caribou. Likewise, I shot my deer at 305 yds this year. There were 5 bucks in the group and when my buck was hit, heart shot, they all just stood there looking at him. If my son had a tag he could have easily shot another buck.

YMMV but I have no desire to shoot anything unsuppressed any more.

As far as which can? I like cans in the 11-15oz range. When they get heavier they negatively change the balance of a rifle unless it’s an sbr.
(02-01-2024, 03:55 AM)SpeyRod Wrote: I am 62 and have been shooting 59 of those years. I have permanently damaged my hearing and the ringing in my ears is distracting at times. There is no way I am letting my son grow up shooting and wind up with the same issues. A can is cheap compared to hearing damage.

I also shoot a lot of sbr’s. I own more of those than standard sized rifles. I shoot all of them suppressed. If you ever shoot a 11” 223 unsuppressed you won’t question the value of a can.

I also hunt suppressed. There are many benefits to hunting suppressed the biggest being not destroying my ears on a snap shot. While hunting suppressed I have seen many instances where the can made the difference in getting an animal vs not. Case in point: I took my son to AK for a caribou hunt. For what ever reason he missed his first two shots on his caribou. The group knew something was up but that’s it. They came right to us where my son then made a good shot on his caribou. Likewise, I shot my deer at 305 yds this year. There were 5 bucks in the group and when my buck was hit, heart shot, they all just stood there looking at him. If my son had a tag he could have easily shot another buck.

As far as which can? I like cans in the 11-15oz range. When they get heavier they negatively change the balance of a rifle unless it’s an sbr.
Thanks for the input . At 72 my hearing is already shot (to many turbine engines and machine guns) but I am interested in the less noise while in the blind part. 
But unless I can try one out I don't think there is one in my future 

Thanks to all that answered
(02-01-2024, 12:43 PM)Bassfish1952 Wrote:
(02-01-2024, 03:55 AM)SpeyRod Wrote: I am 62 and have been shooting 59 of those years. I have permanently damaged my hearing and the ringing in my ears is distracting at times. There is no way I am letting my son grow up shooting and wind up with the same issues. A can is cheap compared to hearing damage.

Thanks for the input . At 72 my hearing is already shot (to many turbine engines and machine guns) but I am interested in the less noise while in the blind part. 

There are shops that have ranges so you can test cans. Our local shop has range days twice per year and will bring cans on request. But honestly, if you buy a Socom or tbac you are almost guaranteed to be happy.
(02-01-2024, 12:43 PM)Bassfish1952 Wrote:

and at our age we need to get the paperwork started! The speed that the ATF works we will be lucky if it clears before our kids inheritances kick in! I have a can sitting at the dealer I have been too lazy to find my trust and get started.
8 months plus is what they've been saying, BUT I also heard that the ATF hired a contractor to help with the backlog so some are coming through in 1/2 of that time. We'll see I just finished the paperwork. Definitely simple enough with a dealer that has a kiosk for silencer shop.
(03-19-2024, 05:18 PM)Diesel Pro Wrote: 8 months plus is what they've been saying, BUT I also heard that the ATF hired a contractor to help with the backlog so some are coming through in 1/2 of that time. We'll see I just finished the paperwork.  Definitely simple enough with a dealer that has a kiosk for silencer shop.

Curious, on a trust or personal? Our shop got a personal one back in a week recently. Amazing. FWIW, if you get a can on you personally an heir can transfer it with no tax stamp. That helps and may be an option to those who do not want a trust.

Let us know what it took to clear when done.