CZ 527 conversion to 6ARC
I built a gas gun 6ARC a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoy shooting this cartridge.  This site is one that I regularly keep tabs on, and now I thought it was time to join up.

I have been wanting to build a bolt gun to complement the gas gun and reload a common cartridge for both. The CZ527 really piqued my interest, but since they are no longer being made I thought I'd go the Howa mini 1500 route. But I also started monitoring a guntrader group in my state just in case....  Well, behold, now I am the owner of a CZ527 in 6.5 Grendel.

I know there are several here who have made this conversion.  Pac-nor seems like one of the popular routes to take.  I've checked out their website and there are a number of options available to make decisions on.  Therefore I thought it would be prudent to ask about what options did you chose and would you recommend? My use will be largely target plinking with a round of deer hunting in the fall.  I favor a bit longer barrel, 20" or better. Anyone using another barrel maker? Finally, if you had to do it over again, what would you have done differently?

I'm retired and I toy decisions are considerably more restricted, but I have the time to patiently put this together (or at least I think I do).  So this will take a while for completion.  In the interim I will enjoy my gas gun.

Thanks
Welcome to the forum traildog! I may call you by OTD or something, shorthand due to some aging fingers lol! Also retired, and like doing these projects.
Yes, several have done the conversion. For me I took the uintah route, got a 22" bolt action upper for AR lower, really happy with it.
I did do a conversion on my howa grendel, using a preferred barrels tube, again, really happy.
[attachment=795 Wrote:OldTrailDog pid='6927' dateline='1709069602']I built a gas gun 6ARC a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoy shooting this cartridge.  This site is one that I regularly keep tabs on, and now I thought it was time to join up.

I have been wanting to build a bolt gun to complement the gas gun and reload a common cartridge for both. The CZ527 really piqued my interest, but since they are no longer being made I thought I'd go the Howa mini 1500 route. But I also started monitoring a guntrader group in my state just in case....  Well, behold, now I am the owner of a CZ527 in 6.5 Grendel.

I know there are several here who have made this conversion.  Pac-nor seems like one of the popular routes to take.  I've checked out their website and there are a number of options available to make decisions on.  Therefore I thought it would be prudent to ask about what options did you chose and would you recommend? My use will be largely target plinking with a round of deer hunting in the fall.  I favor a bit longer barrel, 20" or better. Anyone using another barrel maker? Finally, if you had to do it over again, what would you have done differently?

I'm retired and I toy decisions are considerably more restricted, but I have the time to patiently put this together (or at least I think I do).  So this will take a while for completion.  In the interim I will enjoy my gas gun.

Thanks
I did a 7.62x39 to 6arc conversion and it worked perfectly . Pac-Nor Barrel , 24" match grade and special contour . 
When I started looking for a different stock I was told by everyone that they did not make stocks for the cz527 carbine. So I had Pac-Nor copy the 7.62 barrel out to the end of the stock and from there maintain that to the end of the barrel.  I think it is .69, it makes for a very nice shooting rifle. 
Turns out the carbine has a block built into the barrel and the stock is squared off around that so I could have done differently . But that barrel has turned out to be very accurate so I guess it all turned out good.
Only thing I would do different is thread the barrel , I am sending it off now to have that done

Good luck on your CZ build.

Attached Files Image(s)

Congratulations on landing the CZ 527 find. Sounds to me like a barrel length in the 22 to 24" length may be fitting for your intended use. My 1st was a light contour 22" barrel. Expect I would really like a moderator & intend on doing a 2nd CZ 527 in 6mm ARC with a 22" Varmint contour threaded for a can.

Lots of ways to go. Only you can decide what fits your use.
Thanks a lot for the replies and advice. Very nice pic Bassfish. It gives me hope. I am really hoping to capitalize on other's experiences. Therefore I value your build experiences and thoughts. Unfortunately, I have the ability to head off down a rabbit trail and end up making the task more difficult, filled with "wish I haddas", "gulp, that ain't gonna work", or "how much!".

I also considered the Uintah route, but if memory serves me right they went from offering the action only to offering a complete upper. I also would check out AP occasionally to see if they were doing anything in their Solus line, nope. I also was wondering about the stock options and thanks Grayfox for relaying your experience. And yes, a threaded for a can is a requirement.

OTD is fine and has happens often on other forums I participate in. Usually accompanied by expletives ;-)
(02-28-2024, 01:38 PM)OldTrailDog Wrote: Thanks a lot for the replies and advice. Very nice pic Bassfish. It gives me hope.  I am really hoping to capitalize on other's experiences.  Therefore I value your build experiences and thoughts. Unfortunately, I have the ability to head off down a rabbit trail and end up making the task more difficult, filled with "wish I haddas", "gulp, that ain't gonna work", or "how much!". 

I also considered the Uintah route, but if memory serves me right they went from offering the action only to offering a complete upper. I also would check out AP occasionally to see if they were doing anything in their Solus line, nope.  I also was wondering about the stock options and thanks Grayfox for relaying your experience.  And yes, a threaded for a can is a requirement.

OTD is fine and has happens often on other forums I participate in.  Usually accompanied by expletives ;-)
Also aside from the barrel I bought a bolt with a bigger knob, makes all the difference in the world when hunting with cold hands or gloves. Forget which one I bought but it had tactical in ad and 2 types a  round cylinder and a bigger knob I elected to go with the knob because it seemed to fit with the way my gun looks

Show us what you got after it's done  Big Grin
Bass I have done that on several builds, that bigger Tac handle really helps in leverage, makes the action-feel go from "tough" to easy-peasy. Seems a common $$$-cut type design "feature" is to put a short handle small ball type of bolt on the action... ruger, howa, savage, they all pretty much do it.
I'd like to plumb your thoughts on stocks/chassis. I've gone back and forth. Initially, I thought of following greyfox's route and sending the action/barrel to Pacnor to copy the contour to the end of the forearm and then 24" with threaded 5/8 end. My thoughts were that the OEM stock would then work for either the Grendel or Arc barrels, i.e. keeping things flexible.

But I prefer a more pistol style or 90* grip and I'm thinking I like the Boyd AT-one style as it is kind of like the Magpul PRS Gen 3 adjustable on my gas 6ARC. I've kick the tires at several other stock sites and it seems Boyds has some nice looking stocks in the style I favor and quite a bit less expensive than other stock or chassis options.

That is a long way around of asking when you guys wrestled with what stock/chassis you were going to use what was your solution or 'wish-I-would-haves'. I am also factoring in that I'm not going to spend beau coup dollars for a top end chassis as that would be beyond my resources and plumb idiotic for my purposes. Thanks
I am not a fan of the Boyd At-One stock.  I find the width of it to be a tad bit narrow.  However, Boyd's thumbhole stocks are nice.  The Bell & Carlson composite stock is nice on the CZ527, which is the exact stock that CZ utilized on some of its specialty Varmint 527. 

I've owned several CZ527's over the past decade.  The only two that I have kept are both sitting in the composite stock.  I like the ruggedness of the stock as well as the improved ergonomics of the vertical grip.  HS Precision and Bell & Carlson are the manufacturers contracted by CZ to build their composite stocks.  HS Precision was the original manufacturer and then the contract was given to B&C.  For the record the stocks are identical for all practical purposes.

MDT has a Chassis
https://mdttac.com/lss-xl-gen2-chassis-system/
I wish I had picked up a 527 American Grendel that day... Cash in hand wanted it it was on shelf... I walked away. 6mo later they was discontinued....

I have looked at the 600.. Not nearly as impressive to me.

Nice build!

CW