Powder and Primers Shelf Life ?
I have Brass and bullets but have not gotten into powder and primers yet. How long will they keep ?  It doesn't do me any good to have brass and bullets if I can't make it go bang.
I have ammo that has been around for 15 years it still shoots but I'm not sure I would want to have to depend on it.

Thanks
Others may weigh in on this as well, but from what I know, it depends mostly on how environment-controlled that shelf is.
In an air-conditioned basement, low on moisture and not hot from the sun, it presumably can last 10-15 years, powder mostly. Primers I haven't seen anything on, but I'd imagine they are the same.
Powder that has gone bad seems to present itself as either bulging cannisters or a bad smell when you open it.
I have some powder that is 10, maybe 15+ years old, from the early 2000's, mostly h414/760 and some blc-2, mainly b/c I don't use them as less temp-sensitive alternatives are available. But the 1 or 2 cans of blc/760 I've opened, they seem to be ok as far as smell and no bulging. I do have a little bit out in the garage but temperatures there don't get above 90 mostly... if I ever had to use them I would do the smell test first.
Don't know if this helps or not. Primers don't stay around long enough for me to worry about them. I always store them in A/C.
I have used primers that were 30+ years old. Powder can last indefinitely if stored properly. Ball powders will smell different than extruded. If older, extruded powder smells like ether, its fine. Last fall I loaded up some WW296 that had to be 30 years old, and it was fine. I still have some AA#5 and #7 that is that old, and just fine.

I have seen factory ammo split necks with age, but it must have been most of 100 years old.
Thanks

At 72 I don't think I have to worry about 30 years but I am trying to stock up with all I need for me ,, the grandkids can worry about later . Big Grin

Thanks for the info , I think I have asked before but didn't act on it. I have 2 temp and humidity controlled cabinets for storage  so only time I will have to worry is if a hurricane knocks out our powder for a while .
Even if a hurricane nocks the power out your powder and primers will be fine if the don’t get wet. When I stated loading in the 90’s there were people still loading off of surplus powders from WWII. Keep them dry and limit exposure and you should be fine.
Thanks for all the replies . I have enough brass and bullets so now stocking up on powder and primers .
Haha yup properly stored we will have ta get back to ya on actual shelf life. But it might be my kids kids replying...

I have primers from 60's work as fine as any bought today. I have steel cans of powder still going too.

How do ya know if its bad? Well Primers wont work and powder will smell rancid. Cant really describe more. But smell your powders and they have a mostly plesant, chemical smell and if bad will NOT BE pleasant smelling. Also steel cans can rust and you will find a fine orange dust wafting out of the can if ya pour some out. If bad, just sprinkle on your lawn. Its usually largely nitrogen and your lawn will appreciate it.

CW