6mm ARC - "Optimum 6mm" & Powders & Lapua Brass
Just stating up front, I am the developer of the 6mmAR, the 6mmAR Turbo and the 6mmAR Turbo 40, all based off the 6.5 Grendel case.  It was no surprise that someone (Hornady in this case) ultimately commercialized a 6mm cartridge similar to the 6mmAR.  What I did not expect was to see the name of the cartridge I named as a part of the name of the commercial cartridge (i.e. 6mm ARC vs my 6mmAR).  I guess I should be flattered that someone thought enough about what I created to copy it, but in another sense what Hornady has done by making the name of their cartridge so similar to mine is confuse a lot of people as to the differences between the two.

So here's the rub - the 6mm ARC is essentially very close to a 6mmAR, but the 6mm ARC gives up 2 gr of water capacity to the 6mmAR (6mm ARC has a 34 gr water capacity vs 6mmAR that is 36 gr of water capacity) and this occurs because the body of the 6mm ARC case is about .027" shorter than the 6mmAR, and the overall case length is .030" shorter.

I have heard statements that the 6mm ARC is the "optimum 6mm" for an AR-15 cartridge, but I do not agree with that because the AR-15 platform can handle a longer and larger case with that case head, with better capacity, better velocity, and give up nothing anywhere else in terms of accuracy, reliability and functionality (i.e. our 6mmAR Turbo 40 has shown that and the T40 has a proven record in the mid-range and long-range match circuits of 600 and 1000 yards respectively).  When you can push the 105 - 108 gr 6mm bullets out at 2800 fps with .5 MOA accuracy - - now you have a real long range contender.

Regardless of the above, I won't take anything away from the 6mm ARC - - like it's big brother the 6mmAR, the 6mmARC is inherently accurate as all get out, it can feed with super reliability out of an AR-15, and it has the capacity to shoot the 105 - 108 gr bullets with excellent velocities out of an AR-15 while maintaining superb accuracy.  When you top it all off with the plethora of great 6mm bullets in the marketplace, as well as the availability of good magazines, great brass for it, and now factory ammo for the 6mm ARC, how can you lose?

From extensive testing, the powders that I have found to be best with the 6mmAR and the 6mm ARC, with bullets in the 90 - 108 gr range, especially for magazine length loadings of 2.265" OAL are:  H4895, RL15, AR Comp, VVN140 and VVN540 (with my personal preferences being H4895 and N140).  The reason I say these powders is that they are the slowest burning (stick) powders that will allow you to get to a max pressure load (highest velocity) before you transition into a compressed loading that starts to sabotage consistent accuracy.   There are some ball powders that will give superb velocities but if you looking for true consistent accuracy, they typically just never make the grade over the wide ranges of temperature, humidity and atmospheric pressures one might be shooting in.  I also never found more compressed loads to shoot with consistent accuracy either, and that's one reason why Varget is not on my preferred list of powers (i.e. mostly too bulky for magazine fed loads with big bullets - when you get to the point where the velocity starts to get in a decent spot, you're typically compressing the load too much - and the 6mm ARC is worse than the 6mmAR there because of its smaller capacity).  When I say consistent accuracy I am talking about consistency tight 10 shot groups.  If you're ok with a 1.5 MOA gun then you may be ok with ball powders and heavier compressed loads.  When you hear a stick powder crunching as you load your bullets, it's too compressed and Varget is notorious for that in the 6mmAR and the 6mmARC.  Powders like Benchmark, 8208XBR, and some others in that burn range work ok but they typically pressure up too fast and too high with the big bullets, especially since their burn rate is faster - - ok for varmint loads with lighter bullets, but not optimum with the heavies.

As for brass, I love Lapua brass, and that brass is very consistent and has the hardest case head and body, yet with a very well annealed neck and shoulder.  In the 6mmAR, the 6mmAR Turbo and the 6mmAR Turbo 40 I have never found better brass.  Hornady is decent brass but I have not found it can handle the pressures Lapua brass can.  The truth is you can rather easily make 6mmARC brass from 6.5 Grendel brass.  Take your 6.5 Grendel brass and lay out the cases on newspaper in a line side by side with the mouths pointing away from you, then use Hornady OneShot spray lube to spray the neck and shoulder area of the cases, let them sit a few minutes and roll them a half a turn and spray the neck and shoulder area again, let them sith a few minutes, then run them through your Hornady 6mm ARC sizing die.  What you will then have is a 6mm ARC brass case that's .030" too long in the neck area - so you need to trim it to around 1.490" OAL.  I hate trimming but I do it when I need to - so I do it - and you can make yourself some truly great brass for your 6mm ARC.  You can do that with Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass, with Hornady 6.5 Grendel brass, or Starline 6.5 Grendel brass - - I've done it with all of them, but they will all need to be trimmed when all is said and done.

Today's testing using an 6mm ARC upper I built up with a 16" barrel (4 groove cut rifled barrel 1:7.5" twist) with a SAAMI 6mm ARC chamber:

26 gr of H4895, CCI BR4 primer, Berger 105 gr BT, Lapua reformed and trimmed 6.5 Grendel brass, 2.265" OAL magazine fed = 2453 fps - .505" 5 shot group - accuracy excellent.

27 gr H4895, CCI BR4 primer, Berger 105 gr BT, Lapua reformed and trimmed 6.5 Grendel brass, 2.265" OAL = 2565 fps = .457" 5 shot group - max load - can go higher but looking at the brass and flatness of primer, that's about as high as I would want to go - and accuracy was great.

27 gr H4895, CCI BR4 primer, Berger 105 gr BT, Hornady reformed and trimmed 6.5 Grendel brass, 2.265" OAL = 2572 fps = .637" 5 shot group - absolute max load - can go higher but looking at brass and flatness of primer, that's about as high as one might consider going.  Hornady brass showing more pressure signs than Lapua brass (e.g. some signs of "flowback" starting of brass into extractor and ejector recesses in bolt face - not bad, but visible upon close inspection - brass would not be good for multiple reloads with a load this hot).

Going to put together 20" and 24" barreled uppers and I am optimistic the 24" upper will yield the best velocities (likely 2700-2750 fps with the 27 gr H4895 loading, with the 20" being likely about 75 fps slower).

Picture shows two 6mm ARC cartridges, with Hornady reformed and trimmed 6.5 Grendel brass on left and with Lapua reformed and trimmed 6.5 Grendel brass on right.  Other pic shows .457" 5 shot group from 27 gr. load of H4895 with Lapua brass noted above.  Other pic shows upper with heavy walled upper receive and side charging handle, etc.

Hoping this is helpful to some.

Best regards - Robert

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks for the info. I've looked at your web site quite a few times looking for load data. Before the ARC came out I was going to go with the 6mmAR or a variant but choose to go with a 1-7 twist 6PPC as I had dies and brass for that already.
Your history sort of reminds me of Tesla and Edison. Smile
Every time I want to try 4895 it seems too bulky to get to the wanted velocities for the long range shooting I'll someday try. RL15 was giving great accuracy and low S.D's but gave pierced primers using cci 400's and major primer cratering with 450's. Lever seems to me to be #1, CFE 223 #2 for the 103-108 grain bullets so far. I've been testing Win 748 with the Sierra 90TGK and it shows potential, got a retest ready for a likely velocity node.
What is your take on the Hornady published load data?
Shocked 
6mmAR...  I have a 100 count box/bag of Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel unfired brass coming from Optics Planet (tracking says today). IIRC, AA uses Starline brass. I already have some unfred Lapua brass. I'll resize some of both to 6 mm ARC & see how they compare in my rifle (whenever I get my barrel...  Rolleyes ).

Have you seen the price of Nosler 6.5 Grendel brass? Sacré bleu! [Image: shocked.png]

Have you tried Leverevolution powder? I've seen posts here & there where it was a reloader's preferred powder for 6mm ARC & it's a ball powder. Just wondering...

I used to use H4895 for reloading .308 Win from way back when I shot High Power/Service Rifle matches. Got some great loads with 168/175 grain bullets. I've got less than a half pound left. I guess I need to get some more. I've got a full can of IMR 4895. Have you tried that?
The trick is growing up without growing old. -- Casey Stengal
Rob welcome and glad to hear from you! I will confess I looked at your 6mmAR's for quite a while, but just couldn't pull the trigger on it quite... I was looking for a Saami cartridge, I have so many irons in the fire that I wasn't sure I could get all the way set up and tweaked in one of yours... but admire them just the same.
Robert Whitley is in the house ! Not sure how you found our little forum since google doesn’t recognize it in a simple search ...

I was on the bandwagon early with 6-ARC, fell off at the Proof / Hornady Black 105 gr crossroad ...

I then went with what I could - 243 LBC using Hornady 6mm Predator dies

Sorry , I’ve done the 6mmAR before and couldn’t handle the cost of dies and to me that stands as probably the only advantage the 6-ARC has over 6mmAR - cheap and functiional dies....

Anyhow , welcome , and THANK YOU for inventing the original 6mm gas gun rifle !

Quick question for you:

I’m on reloading #3 of Lapua cases in 243 LBC and my primer pockets are loosening up already - powder is LvrEvolution - 90 grain game changer.

Will any of your optimal powders blow the primer pockets that quick when loaded to max loads? Or are they pretty much pressure friendly and less apt to destroy Lapua brass than ball powders ?
6mm AR  -  Really a great post.  Thanks.  I've been using the Powders you have mentioned above and they have worked great for me.  I'm shooting the 22" Unitah Precision Bolt Action Upper in an AR-15 Lower.  My results have giving me .5 MOA with low SDs and I'm very happy with the velocities i'm getting (105-108gr at 2750FPS).  I'm now trying the Sierra 95gr TMK.  However, i'm trying to figure out the COALs for them.  I am using the Lapua brass (converted from Grendel).

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome, Robert!

The world of 6mm AR15s owes you a debt of gratitude for REALLY getting the ball rolling on the 6mms in the AR.

The commercialization of a "6mm Grendel" variant was inevitable — I'm surprised it took so long. I agree that the 6mmAR, with just a bit more capacity, is more ideal, but I also understand Hornady's argument about keeping the shank of the heavies out of the powder column and completely in the neck. Maybe that's overrated as an accuracy feature?

Anyway, again, welcome — and thanks for your good info here!
:: 6mmARC Target Cartridge with Hunting Capability :: 6.5 GRENDEL Hunting Cartridge with Target Capability :: 
:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
(10-20-2020, 03:41 PM)KRYSTOFILUS Wrote: Welcome, Robert!

The world of 6mm AR15s owes you a debt of gratitude for REALLY getting the ball rolling on the 6mms in the AR.

The commercialization of a "6mm Grendel" variant was inevitable — I'm surprised it took so long. I agree that the 6mmAR, with just a bit more capacity, is more ideal, but I also understand Hornady's argument about keeping the shank of the heavies out of the powder column and completely in the neck. Maybe that's overrated as an accuracy feature?

Anyway, again, welcome — and thanks for your good info here!
Hi Krystofilus:

Thanks!

I sent you a p.m. - how does one fix the 90 degree rotated pics that I posted on this thread?  They were straight up on this end so I do not know what's happening.

RCW
Rob, your pics are straight up in my browser........
Yes, they are correctly oriented in my browser, as well.
:: 6mmARC Target Cartridge with Hunting Capability :: 6.5 GRENDEL Hunting Cartridge with Target Capability :: 
(10-20-2020, 05:06 PM)KRYSTOFILUS Wrote: Yes, they are correctly oriented in my browser, as well.
Weird  - - They don't even show up on my iPhone and my wife's iMac, but I have an older iMac and they show up oriented 90 degrees rotated (i.e. sideways).
Tried it on my iPhone and the photos did NOT show up. Only three empty boxes.

It could be the forum software, in that case, isn't interacting correctly with various operating system versions.
(10-20-2020, 02:07 PM)skyrep Wrote: 6mm AR  -  Really a great post.  Thanks.  I've been using the Powders you have mentioned above and they have worked great for me.  I'm shooting the 22" Unitah Precision Bolt Action Upper in an AR-15 Lower.  My results have giving me .5 MOA with low SDs and I'm very happy with the velocities i'm getting (105-108gr at 2750FPS).  I'm now trying the Sierra 95gr TMK.  However, i'm trying to figure out the COALs for them.  I am using the Lapua brass (converted from Grendel).
Kool rifle - - I absolutely love the Unitah Precision bolt action uppers.  I have a 6.5 Grendel one with some extra barrel extensions to make a 6mmAR barrel for it and maybe a 6mm ARC too.  The Grendel upper shoots great - - very accurate.  I have one with a .223 bolt face and it's in 300 Blackout - with subsonic loads shooting the 220 Sierras it is scary accurate - - you shoot 3 shots and look through the scope and cannot decide whether you're only seeing one bullet hole or three.
Robert
Thanks for your wealth of knowledge and your pioneering of the 6AR... Smile
Been building ARs for customers for 17 yrs now,many calibers come in,shine some and fall away. The ARC has the Military backing to keep it improving. similar to the 308 etc.The current supply problems with primers is keeping shooters from experimenting at a normal pace. Our AR's are modified to remove all of the movement between uppers and lowers without wedging or worse a jackscrew forcing separation at the rear. I'll keep posting as the weather improves and allows testing.
Welcome aboard Badger! (I usually abbreviate so as not to challenge my old fingers...)
Sounds like we might have a smithy in our midst! This forum is sort of a junior partner to the 6.5 Grendel family, whose forum is 65grendel.com, as the 6Arc springs from the Grendel klan!
I ordered 6.5 Grendel Lapua brass and resized it with the Hornady die set based on the suggestion above.

Everything went well until I went to seat the Hornady 108 ELDM in them.

I'm crushing the cases. I have readjusted the die several times and have no change. It seems that I can slowly get the bullet to seat on the first one when I keep making fine adjustments until I get to m seating depth. Then the very next one crushes when it cams over.

I use a 6mm expander mandrel after sizing and before trimming. I even did it again just in case of spring back. Nothing seems to help.

The Hornady brass that I have been using continues to seat just fine.

It acts like it is crimping then seating and pushing the case down but I did not adjust it to crimp. I never crimp the Hornadys either.

I do not lube when I am seating in a case full of powder.

Has anyone else seen this with the conversion using Lapua brass.

BTW, This is for my gas gun.
Twocuts, Do you have a picture of the sized brass? I have a thought but it would be easiest to just see it.
#FJB
(07-06-2021, 11:40 PM)twocuts Wrote: I ordered 6.5 Grendel Lapua brass and resized it with the Hornady die set based on the suggestion above.

Everything went well until I went to seat the Hornady 108 ELDM in them.

I'm crushing the cases. I have readjusted the die several times and have no change. It seems that I can slowly get the bullet to seat on the first one when I keep making fine adjustments until I get to m seating depth. Then the very next one crushes when it cams over.

I use a 6mm expander mandrel after sizing and before trimming. I even did it again just in case of spring back. Nothing seems to help.

The Hornady brass that I have been using continues to seat just fine.

It acts like it is crimping then seating and pushing the case down but I did not adjust it to crimp. I never crimp the Hornadys either.

I do not lube when I am seating in a case full of powder.

Has anyone else seen this with the conversion using Lapua brass.

BTW, This is for my gas gun.

I think I solved this. That Lapua case is thicker by .03mm. I got it working by using graphite on the bullet before I seated it. Seems to be working now.
I resized some Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass to 6mm ARC as well. I had no problems seating Hornady 103gr ELD-X bullets but I used a Wilson inline, arbor press bullet seater die instead of the Hornady seater. I don't know what would have happened if I used the Hornady seater.

I did notice the Lapua brass was a little heavier/thicker than Hornady or Starline brass. Sizing it down is gonna make the case necks walls even thicker. What is the actual diameter of your 6mm mandrel? The diameter of the neck expander in my Hornady sizer die is .241". If it's larger than that, because of the thicker brass, it could cause a too tight fit between the brass & the inside diameter of the seater die neck area.
The trick is growing up without growing old. -- Casey Stengal