Benchmark & 95s
Figured I'd get things rolling around here as we wait for Hornady's Load Data (I'm guessing lawyers are to blame)!

I saw lots of talk of folks talking of trying 95 grain hunting bullets in 6ARC on the 6.5G forum so I figured I would share my experience with my 243 LBC, 95 grain SMKs and Benchmark (BM). The .243 LBC is a 6 Grendel with a slightly different chamber, so effectively the 6ARC with the shoulder 0.03" farther out, so it's safe to assume what combos work for the 243 LBC will work for 6ARC with slightly lower powder levels (and diligent load workup)

BM is easily the powder I use the most - for 55 grain NBTVs in .223 (which I also use for high volume practice) (3150 out of a 20"), 70 gr NBTVs in my 6x45 (2980 out of a 24") and 95 grain SMK in the 243 LBC (2725 out of an 18"). I also used it with great success with 110 gr Varmageddons in my now sold .308 RPR, pushing them at 3330.. All the barrels aside from the RPR are BHWs so they might scoot a little above average. I find BM to be very easy to work with (small kernels that my Chargemaster likes and that are also easy to trickle kernel by kernel n a hand trickler for my truly anal loads  Smile , relatively good temp stability and great accuracy with "light for caliber" bullets. I put what Hodgdon says about BM at the end of the post since the black background on this forum isn't easy to work with on a tablet.

The 6ARC lies between the 6mm PPC and 6mm BR Remington so it's gotta work, right?  Load data for those cartridges is what we have used for 6 Grendel, afterall. 

To get to my charge of 27.4 grains I started way low and worked up. Implied max for 95s in 6 BR Remington is 28.5 grains (averaging the max for 90s and 100s), so it's not a light load, but I get no extractor marks with the gas turned off (I do get swipes due to timing with it in (18" with MLGS)) and the primers look fine (I'm still dying to see what Hornady publishes!)

Accuracy is phenomenal. This was the first 3 from when i was adjusting the scope (off Bipod)

A few clicks of elevation and I think I found zero!

Only shot a few 5 shot groups that day and have since only used it for steel. This is the one I saved. The first 3 grouped nicely and then I fell into my habit of gripping too hard and StoneHenged the 4th.

Barrel is a 1:8 twist. 10 shot SD for the 2725 fps is 12 fps with a single Chargemaster weighing only. If I trickled onto a balance beam like I do with my Precision loads, I'm sure the SD would be down to the 6-8 range

I've thought of trying 70 gr NBTVs with BM but haven't gotten around to it. I'm sure the accuracy would be phenomenal but I am a little anal about twisting bullets faster than needed - especially Varmint bullets.

Well there you go - something to think about while you play the waiting game!

I can't seem to remove the "Attached File". That's 110 grain Varmageddons at a Nosler Max load of BM at 3330 and was during load development. The group measured 0.156" - I measureD the hole in the plywood under the target for accuracy. 

From Hodgdon's website:test 

Hodgdon Benchmark, as the name implies, is an Extreme Extruded propellant developed for precision cartridges. As such, it is ideally suited for benchrest and small varmint cartridges like the 6mm PPC, 22 PPC, 6mm BR, 223 Rem. and 222 Rem. Additionally, Benchmark performs superbly in the 204 Ruger

Attached Files Image(s)

That right there is some good shooting.

Do you know if BHW will be chambering the 6 ARC? I got one of the last runs of BHW Grendels headspaced for a .136 bolt. It will be interesting to see if they start offering that as an option again.
Subscribing, good info and shooting!
""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""