Got my upper today
UPS guy dropped my upper off today, Uintah told me it would be 5 to 6 weeks so they could build it and get it shipped out. It only took them 17 days to have it at my door. That's pretty good turn around in my book during these times of civil unrest.

The first thing I did to it was stripped it down and removed the barrel so I could remove the Durakote from the barrel. I am going to have the bolt and barrel Nitrided after it is broke in so the Durakote had to go. I used a wire wheel on a cordless drill and followed up with 1000 and 1500 grit wet sanding and it came out with a polished look.

Barrel fit to the upper was an interference fit and was quite snug, had to heat the upper to remove and reinstall tapping it lightly with a non marring hammer.

Then I bore scoped the barrel and gave it a good cleaning, they fired a few rounds through it as it was pretty dirty with carbon fouling and a little bit of copper. Next I will blueprint it with all the chamber measurements so I can load up some precision rounds. Also got myself a new induction annealer so I can get proper neck tension.

I have not received my lower from them yet but I used another that I have. It has an MBT2 trigger in it and it seems to work just fine, but they sent a Velocity 3 lb single stage with the upper.

If the weather cooperates I might get to the range on Sunday.

Attached Files Image(s)

If you can not see the tyranny of having a gun ban enforced by men with guns... Then you fail to understand why the second amendment was written in the first place.
Looking good!!! Can't wait til mine gets here.
In the meantime I will be working on the break in of my new 20" monster 6Arc barrel, plus I have a new howa 6.5 Grrr to break in. Both with new optics so went to the range today, had a good initial session with both.
I'll leave that durakote on, don't plan on doing any nitriding, but I'll probably not shoot as many rounds per year as you do. I'm thinking it will be fun however, and hope to put it into my 600-1000 yd target play-status. I say "play" b/c I'm not real experienced beyond about 300 yds... but there is a 1000 range 45 min from the house.
This is good news! I ordered my Uintah 6mm ARC upper 17 days ago, today! Will I get it next week? I sure hope so but with my rotten luck, who knows? Huh
The trick is growing up without growing old. -- Casey Stengal
Went to the range today, can't say it was a pleasant trip... the place was flooded from the snow melt and the rain last night and today.

But the new bolt action rifle performed better than anticipated. Put 50 rounds down the tube to break it in so I can send it to the shop to get it Nitrided.

I shot some five shot groups and it was shooting about .5 to .75 MOA with factory Hornady Black 105 grain. I was kinda set back at the accuracy of this ammo out of this gun. Way beyond the norm.

The last group I was messing with the dope on the scope to see how much one click of the windage knob  moved the point of aim, so it is actually two groups, one on the left side of center and the other on the right side. The out lying shot in the last picture is the first shot before I zeroed the scope, at least it was on paper.

Attached Files Image(s)

If you can not see the tyranny of having a gun ban enforced by men with guns... Then you fail to understand why the second amendment was written in the first place.
Man. Setting quite the standard for break ins!!
Nice shooting.
Dino11,

nice shooting.
Question: the Hornady 105's, did you happen to measure the COAL on them. Are they with the old coal (too long) or the new ones with the correct specs?

The ones I have on hand are bought when they had the incorrect COAL. However, they do shoot well out of my Uintah Bolt Upper, and my Savage 10 Bolt Gun. Have not yet from the new 20" Monster Gas Gun yet.
They measure 2.205 they were just purchased less than a week ago. I had my fair share of the older 2.45 ones.

You can reseat the bullets to 2.200 if you start having problems. I measured my chamber before I put the first shot down the barrel and the longer 105's probably would have shot through this rife, chamber measured 2.255 OAL with the Hornady 105, and 2.315 with the Nossler RDF 105 OAL before it would start pushing into the lands.
I'm measuring the chamber in my 20" monster and so far the hdy 105's would go to ~2.274 to the lands, plus or minus a couple. (2.269, 2.272, 2.279 for three bullets/ random)... so 2.200 or even 2.245 would both seem to work in the monsters.
Dino11
thanks for the info. My 20" monster measured 2.276 (+ or - a thousand). For my Savage 10 Bolt measured 2.267 (+ or - a thousand). I've re-seated a box to 2.200 to try out and see how they shoot. Another box to 2.250 and see how they shoot. Just waiting on the weather to cooperate. Hoping the 20" Monster Semi-auto to shoot good. It is ready for breaking in, again waiting on this weather to clear out.

this is how my Savage 10 came out.
Skyrep that Savage looks like it has an AI style bottom metal... how or what are you using for mags to feed and ...... well, why are they feeding fine for you when grendels couldn't feed worth a <darn> in the savage 10 I tried to build a few yrs back...???
(jealous)
I like the Savage, more on the line of what I truly wanted. I had to settle on the Uintah, not that it was a bad choice. I already have to many AR style rifles. But after taking it to the range and shooting those groups with factory ammo I was pretty much content with my choice. I did not even really take my time with the shots, the gun just felt natural in my hands and I conformed to it really well.

Dropped the barrel and the action off at the shop to get it Nitrided today, they said seven to ten days out. They are local to me, there were three crates of Kelbly fluted actions ready to be picked up in the service area. I lifted the lid on one of them and they looked like pieces of art work.

This Nitride process they do is really special, it is such a deep black, shiney and smooth. You would have to hold a part in your hands to really know what I am talking about. Only your high end manufactures use these folks, it's a little pricey.
Grayfox - that is an Original Bob Sled A.I. - 308 that you see in the Magwell. Using it to load one round at a time (for load development). The Magazine that i'm using is the MDT Mag SA-12 RND 6BR. It has been working without any issues. I've also used the MDT Polymer .224 Valkyrie / 8 round magazines. I've got a Grendel Bolt Action, however, it's a CZ 527 Varmint MTR. Only one magazine that works is what came with it and only holds five rounds.
Note: the bolt face that i'm using in the Savage is the PTG PPC Bolt Face.
I've still got the ptg ppc bolt face I used...
Gotta ponder this.
I like fiddling with savages, they have a setup I can deal with.

I am also still eagerly waiting for my uintah... too!
Got my Uintah 6mm ARC upper today!  Big Grin   Still waiting for the buttstock I wanna put on it (might stick on my GI A1 stock in the mean time while I wait - or not). The stock should get here Thursday. I just need a little patience... Rolleyes
OK. Big-time decision time. My uintah gets here tomorrow.
I already have the lower, 3# velocity trigg.
BUT...............

What scope do I put on? I have 3 in hand to choose from., all MOA (I like MOA).
4-16x44 Viper HST, sfp
6-24x50 gen 2 Athlon Argos BTR, ffp
4-14x44 PA ffp

I'm ok with either ffp or sfp, I can use both of them
I also have a 3-18x44 Strike eagle, it's on another but I can swap out if it needs to be.

I was kind of thinking the Argos, but I have an HST on my 308 and it does well......

what to do
what to do
!!!
I'm gonna use a Leupold Mark 4, 30mm tube, 4.5-15x50 on mine & the trigger UP shipped with my upper.

I mounted my upper on the lower I'm gonna use with my PF barrel when it finally shows up. It has a Wilson Combat S1 trigger. It's not on Uintahs "Do not use" list but it's not on their OK to use list either. I pulled the trigger with the bolt open & then closed the bolt to see if the hammer would drop. I tried it several times & it never did drop.

I have a question. Is the bolt hold-open after last shot necessary? I'm gonna leave it in place... just wondering.
(03-11-2021, 03:16 AM)Old Bob Wrote: I'm gonna use a Leupold Mark 4, 30mm tube, 4.5-15x50 on mine & the trigger UP shipped with my upper.

I mounted my upper on the lower I'm gonna use with my PF barrel when it finally shows up. It has a Wilson Combat S1 trigger. It's not on Uintahs "Do not use" list but it's not on their OK to use list either. I pulled the trigger with the bolt open & then closed the bolt to see if the hammer would drop. I tried it several times & it never did drop.

I have a question. Is the bolt hold-open after last shot necessary? I'm gonna leave it in place... just wondering.
The bolt catch will get in the way if you want to single feed some of the sexy long bullets
Received the upper today. I was worried when I saw the ups shipping wt.... 9 lbs! Whoa this must be a heavy heavy motorscooter... but now in hand I weighed the rifle all together with scope, and 9 lb 13 oz. So not too much different from any other rifle I've got. The barrel shape is straight, IIRC a 0.81" diameter but even at 22" it's not too different from other bolt-action rifles.
Won't get to shoot it for a couple of days, have Dr appts and stuff for a few days.
Today was a good day for me as well. My lower came in and I picked up my barrel, bolt, firing pin and muzzle brake from getting nitrided.

I was pleasantly surprised when they realized who I was and gave me a 50% discount on the work. I was quoted 250 and they let me have it for 125 out the door. I am a close friend and shooting buddy of the folks at Rubber City Armory, whom these folks own the business. They are going to do my Odin barrel for 100 bucks next week. Now I have to get it back together and hit the range.

Things must be turning for the better ammo wise, I stopped at the gun shop around the corner from my FFL and they were totally stocked with primers, powder and bullets. They still had purchase limits. But their were several thousand primers and bullets and a pretty good variety of powders. I stocked up on some reloading components. Get it while you can type of thing.

Attached Files Image(s)

Very pretty, it would make me feel bad on the first scratch or ding!