Case sticks after firing
(09-27-2022, 04:23 PM)BluntForceTrauma Wrote: Pan, the best contact for technical questions at H&M Metal Processing (BlackNitride.com) is "Bear" or Pat. Though they're busy, they're friendly and knowledgable. H&M's office number is (330) 745-3075.

The deal with nitriding an assembled barrel is that the one metal in the barrel extension and the other metal in the barrel might have different rates of expansion under the extreme heat of the salt bath process. I don't know, exactly, what happens when this happens, but the nitriders recommend against it.

Alwie, sounds like you had your assembled barrel nitrided as a unit and had no problems?
BFT, thanks for the information. I would have responded sooner, but we had a hurricane scare, and I had some other issues arise after that.
I will check with the guys at H&M when I get closer to needing their services. All sorts of delays of late.
I did hear from another source that the primary concern in treating an assembled AR barrel is the possibility of the barrel extension loosening due to the above mentioned difference in expansion of dissimilar alloys and the heat treat temps of same. Sounds like it worked out for Alwie though.
I had them do the barrel on my Uintah bolt action gun and I didn't have any issues, The barrel on that gun is built like an AR with a barrel extension.
If you can not see the tyranny of having a gun ban enforced by men with guns... Then you fail to understand why the second amendment was written in the first place.
(10-16-2022, 10:36 AM)Dino11 Wrote: I had them do the barrel on my Uintah bolt action gun and I didn't have any issues, The barrel on that gun is built like an AR with a barrel extension.
Thanks Dino. Good to hear.
Barrel, bolt, firing pin, and muzzel device done by them.

Attached Files Image(s)

If you can not see the tyranny of having a gun ban enforced by men with guns... Then you fail to understand why the second amendment was written in the first place.