New to 6mmARC
Hello All,

Glad to come across this forum after picking up a Monster 20" from SixFiveArms. I started shooting long distance a few years ago when I went to TX to shoot pdogs. My first time I took a bolt 17HMR, 556 and 308 shooting out to 500y. They worked but then I was introduced to 22-250 and things just snowballed. The following year, I returned with a bolt 17WSM, 22-250 and Semi 6.5 Creedmoor. I was able to reach out and touch a pdog @ 550y with a 22-250 and jack rabbit @ 750 with 6.5 Creedmoor.

I was happy with the progress but not happy lugging all the rifles (3 cases) to and from the airport. In the search for a better alternative, 224 Valkyrie got me interested and I invested in it. I was not able to go the following year and then the next year COVID hit. At the start of the pandemic, since I couldn't get to TX, I found a local farm that had groundhogs and pest birds and that's where I continued to chase the urge and set new personal records.

Where I am, I like to use 22LR Standard Velocity in my CZ457 with a suppressor. It lets me shoot all day without annoying any of the people around me. My longest shots last year were 121y on a groundhog, 101y on a pigeon, 90y on a sparrow. During the fall and winter, I got into hunting rabbits, coyotes and rats at night (you can only hunt at night in my area using 22 rimfire only. I could have used 22 magnum but I wanted to go dark and go quiet so I continued using standard velocity suppressed along with my custom built AR15 in 22LR (Beyer Barrels) with a Bering Optics Super Hogster R. I ended up setting new records for myself, 150y on a coyote at night/thermal, 131y on a rabbit at night/thermal, 137y on a starling daytime/thermal, 100y on a rat (night/thermal).

During this time while hunting at night, I became more familiar with my gear (NODS and Thermal). Being restricted to 22 rimfire sucks. I am hoping COVID ends and I can get back to TX and do some hunting on pdogs (day time) and now have the itch to hunt coyotes / hogs (night time) since I have all the gear now to my understanding there's no restriction on how you hunt them in TX - This made me review my stagnant 224 Valkyrie build (the fad just fizzled out) and down this new path as I wanted something that was lighter than my AR10 in 6.5 Creedmoor but has more terminal ballistics than 556 / 224 and 6mmARC seems to fit the bill.

My plans are to run a 17 Hornet for 0-350y and the 6mmARC 350y to 1000y - This way I won't have to lug three rifle cases around at the airport and can get away with just one. Worse case, if I can't fit both rifles into a single case then I'll run two ARs | 556 and 6mmARC since I can take the two apart fairly easy.

I intend to use Hornaday 58gn VMAX for the varmints and the Hornady 103gn ELD-X for the coyotes / hogs. Please let me know if this isn't a good idea.

Long intro but wanted to fill you guys in where I as coming from and where I'm trying to get to. Always chasing that next record and I hope learn a lot from this community and be able to give back as well as I venture down this new path.

-J

Below are my current rigs that I use to hunt on the farm.
CZ 457 in 22LR
Custom AR15 in 22LR

Attached Files Image(s)

Glad to have you aboard!
I like the 103 for sure, although my intended is deer...
For long light and fast you can also look at the 75-95 class bullets.
If you already reload it will be a bit easier to get loads you want.

Edit to add, for going out to 1000 you may need to look at the 105-108 class bullets and high BC's.
Love that CZ 457. I have a Savage MKII FV-SR that shoots wonderfully, but is rough and fails to extract often. I might have to sell it and upgrade.

How does the AR 22 shoot? And what are the particulars on it?
(04-21-2021, 01:49 PM)SBRSarge Wrote: Love that CZ 457. I have a Savage MKII FV-SR that shoots wonderfully, but is rough and fails to extract often. I might have to sell it and upgrade.

How does the AR 22 shoot? And what are the particulars on it?

AR22 uses Beyer’s Barrel that is a dedicated 22LR Match AR15 barrel. The build started with CMMG 22LR bolt and barrel. The barrel is inconsistent so I dumped it and went with the matched Beyer’s.

Using a 22 buffer plug keeps the BCG from moving, added the CMMG deflector ejector kit, CMMG anti bounce kit, Better Mag adapter to retain BHO and use SW 15-22 mags. Using a UTG Super Slim Pro 15” Handguard with SilencerCo Sparrow. Optics are a Bering Optics Super Hogster R Thermal 2.9x. Aero 2 stage trigger and a custom made external 10K mah battery pack and mount. 

The CZ out shoots everything but I need a semi that was closer to 1moa is favorable conditions to be able to rounds down range 0-150y on a coyote for night hunting.

(04-21-2021, 11:34 AM)grayfox Wrote: Glad to have you aboard!
I like the 103 for sure, although my intended is deer...
For long light and fast  you can also look at the 75-95 class bullets.
If you already reload it will be a bit easier to get loads you want.

Edit to add, for going out to 1000 you may need to look at the 105-108 class bullets and high BC's.

I was considering the 58gn VMAX but also saw the 75gn VMAX. The intended close range targets 0-600 are varmints. I wanted a heavier GM bullet for hogs and was considering the 103gn ELD-X for 0-400 Hogs. 

This build will mainly befor varmint and predator/pest hunting in a smaller package that can be broken down and easier to fly to TX.