ARC failure to eject (Update)
I have been shooting centerfire rifles and handloading for several decades but this is my first AR build.  I do have an Armalite 5.56 Match so I'm familiar with the function of the AR.  

Now to my issue(s), this build is a new 20 inch Monster barrel, a PSA Bcg mated to a BCM upper on top of the lower from the Armalite 5.56 with the A2 stock and standard buffer and spring.  I'm using Starline 6.5 Grendel brass sized and fireformed down to 6 ARC, a process that was fairly straight forward.  First set of 40 rounds were the initial fireforming, feeding through three differnt mags. was flawless as was chambering and firing.  The problem is that about every third round is a failure to eject mostly a stove pipe but a few double feeds.  The ejection pattern was basically from 1 to 4 o'clock, but it was hard to tell when shooting by myself and the bench set-up.

I fired the second set of 40 fireforming yesterday basically with the results.  The powder charges are middle of the road Hornady gas gun loads with 70 to 95 grain bullets.  Is the gun over-gassed?  I was advised that the 20 inch barrel with my lower would be fine, is it?   The ejector spring has good tension and when a round does eject it does so with authority.  Could the extractor be a problem, hanging on to the brass to long?

Rifle is showing some real potential accuracy wise, but need your thoughts on how to correct my problem

Update:  I did some of the massaging of the ejector geometry and ran another 35 rounds through the rifle this weekend.  First two rounds were abject failures to eject!  I thinking I just made things worse but continued to shoot and for whatever the ejection began to improve.  The next ten rounds only two FTE's and then ran 15 without an issue!  However loaded the last two rounds in the box and of course had another stovepipe.  The ejection pattern also looked better.  I am waiting on a new monster bolt with the hopes of getting to that complete reliability.

Thanks for all the valuable input from the members.
If the brass that is ejected properly "with authority" means that it being flung far and hard (presumably farther and harder than your Armalite upper), then yes, it sounds like it is overgassed and the bolt is returning before a round has the chance to pop up and the brass has a chance to eject. An adjustable gas block is the easiest and best remedy. Going with a heavier buffer or spring probably isn't a good option since it would affect the function of your Armalite upper. I stay away from that solution personally since it results in a harder return to battery than dialing down the gas (a harder return can/will throw your sight picture off more). Even with the chance that being overgassed isn't the problem, it's a worthy upgrade for a better shooting experience. But then again, some people think I'm nuts for how how much I play around with my operating systems.
It's somewhat common in the Grendel world that new bolts with new extractors will need the extractor modified to work correctly. What bolt and extractor are you working with LaMan?
Also if the extractor has a rubber doughnut on the spring end, I've been told taking it off is beneficial.
Snipping a coil or two off the ejector spring may help out.
Best of luck!
(05-04-2021, 04:53 AM)Lemonaid Wrote: It's somewhat common in the Grendel world that new bolts with new extractors will need the extractor modified to work correctly.  What bolt and extractor are you working with LaMan?
Also if the extractor has a rubber doughnut on the spring end, I've been told taking it off is beneficial.
Best of luck!
The BCG is a Psa grendel bolt head, purchased so I could get the gun up and running while waiting on a Monster bolt.  
The extractor does have the o-ring which I will remove and I'll research on how to modify the extractor.  I also think I'm headed towards an adjustable gas block, I like the idea of being able to fine tune the gas system.

Anyone have a  recommendation for a good adjustable gas block?
(05-04-2021, 12:25 PM)LaMan Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 04:53 AM)Lemonaid Wrote: It's somewhat common in the Grendel world that new bolts with new extractors will need the extractor modified to work correctly.  What bolt and extractor are you working with LaMan?
Best of luck!
The BCG is a Psa grendel bolt head, purchased so I could get the gun up and running while waiting on a Monster bolt.  
The extractor does have the o-ring which I will remove and I'll research on how to modify the extractor.  I also think I'm headed towards an adjustable gas block, I like the idea of being able to fine tune the gas system.

Anyone have a  recommendation for a good adjustable gas block?
Superlative Arms : https://suparms.com/collections/adjustab...mpingement

or

Aero Precision: https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/adjusta...ow-profile
The trick is growing up without growing old. -- Casey Stengal
My guess is it's the problem described in THIS YOUTUBE VIDEO by Johnny's Reloading Bench: Corners on new extractor are too sharp.
:: 6mmARC Target Cartridge with Hunting Capability :: 6.5 GRENDEL Hunting Cartridge with Target Capability :: 
:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::