Savage Axis II 6mm ARC 22" Barrel.
If I recall correctly, it may be the new throat cuts the copper and sort of atomizes it and as it cools farther up the barrel it deposits the copper there. So as your throat smooths out the copper should foul much less. Fire lapping could speed up the process if that is what is happening.
Well, I just joined up here and have a Savage Axis II on the way. Many years ago, a varmint class shooter and friend advised me to use the classic Kroil and Sweet's break-in on Savage barrels -- you know, shoot one, clean with Sweet's, then Kroil, shoot two ...
Hoping this will properly season the barrel.
After reading this thread I am hoping to dodge the primer and feed issues -- if brass ever becomes available.
Welcome to the forum!
Savage barrels shoot well, for the Axis rifles what I have been doing prior to break in is to use some JB bore paste on a patch or two, run them back and forth to smooth out the innards of the pipe in the shop before you head out, then clean it out with some kroil (or bore gel) and oil and dry swabs. Then do the shoot 1, clean 1, etc for 10-20 rounds...
The JB's smooths out the steel interior. For high end or match barrels it isn't needed but for rack grade like Axis, I do this.
Note also that hornady has both gas gun and bolt action load data. Also, be sure to do oal tests on the bullets you want to use, since different bullets and different chambers may have a need to seat fairly short, which you might not be used to. Even though the mag may seat out to 2.300 or whatever, some pills like the 105 Hdy bthp may need to seat at 2.200 give or take, etc etc. Long sleek, secant-ogive bullets typically can seat out farther than the more conventional tangent ogive ones.
Thank you Grayfox. I'll give my rifle the JB treatment prior to shooting for break-in. I have had good luck with every Savage barrel that has passed through my hands. It was seeing the Hornady bolt gun data that convinced me to go the Axis route instead of buying an upper. I realized I may end up with Howa envy if they really do introduce their short action in this caliber, but I intend to make the Axis shoot.
Ordered a couple of boxes of the 108 ELD ammo from Optics Planet just to have some brass.