Bullets favored for hunting from the ARC
I have been experimenting with 5 lead free bullets thus far, and have 2 more id like to try. Do not intend on taking anymore than 3 rifle deer this season. Reality is ill likely give no more than two of these a try.

Tried these so far.
80 grain Hornady CX - lighter than id prefer & low bc that may be a factor at distance

85 grain Lehigh Defense controlled Chaos. I have seen where some have had positive performance with this one & would like to try this one myself.

87 grain Absolute Hammer, Touted for completely diffrent engraving pressure characteristics & supposedly more velocity Lets just say I am hopeful on the velocity side of things. Experimenting with 5 propellants. WIP Notice BC is not addressed so Ill see for myself. May end up giving this a try.

Next 2 fall in a similar category IMHO as more velocity would be preferred. Tried the 90 grain E-tip & inside of 200 yards will be fine though she needs a bit more velocity at distance IMHO.

Tried the 95 grain LRX & feel the ARC capacity case may be lacking for this one. Expect she will work OK though Id prefer a bit more velocity. This bullet simply impedes on the powder capacity more than Id prefer.

A few more I hope to experiment with, include the 83 grain Shock Hammer and the 90 grain CX

90 grain CX was hoping for availability.
LRG, I once fired some Berger 140 Hunters and Hornady 140 SST into a soft dirt bank at 850 yds from my 6.5 creedmoor, they were traveling just over 2700 fps. The Bergers were iffy as to expansion but the SSts did expand. In my tests, mostly into wet Montana mud hollow point bullets tend to bend at long rang and not expand. I try not to use hollow point hunting bullets past 300 yards. Now for 6ARC I believe you will be hard pressed to reach 300 yds with any bullet and still retain 1000 Foot pounds, which is the old standard for deer size game. New bullets and fast twist rifles may be an ecception for that 1000 LBS rule and may perform at lower velocities. You'll just have to find some Montana gumbo mud to test in- Ha, Ha!
There are a couple, first one I've got from my uintah (22") is 100 tgk bullet, 2716 fps MV and 1034 ke at 350 yds (500 msl').
Although the 100 tgk is nowadays scarce as hen's teeth. And 103 eldx, 2733 fps as MV, and 1004 ke at 400 yds.
But not many loads like this, as you state...
both are poly tipped, hunting bullets.

Wife and I both love the MT, ID, and WY country...!
Question 
(03-15-2023, 11:47 PM)MTMAN Wrote: LRG, I once fired some Berger 140 Hunters and Hornady 140 SST into a soft dirt bank at 850 yds from my 6.5 creedmoor, they were traveling just over 2700 fps. The Bergers were iffy as to expansion but the SSts did expand. In my tests, mostly into wet Montana mud hollow point bullets tend to bend at long rang and not expand. I try not to use hollow point hunting bullets past 300 yards. Now for 6ARC I believe you will be hard pressed to reach 300 yds with any bullet and still retain 1000 Foot pounds, which is the old standard for deer size game. New bullets and fast twist rifles may be an ecception for that 1000 LBS rule and may perform at lower velocities. You'll just have to find some Montana gumbo mud to test in- Ha, Ha!

22" bolt gun mind you. Getting 2780 fps at the muzzle with the 108 grain Elite Hunter. Berger calculator is suggesting the bullet is still delivering 1004 ft lbs at 500 yards. This based on my average hunting elevation of 1800 feet above sea level & a 30 deg day that would be common for deer hunting weather in a common area I hunt.

If the elevation was changed to sea level Id back off to 450 yards to achieve 1026 foot lbs on target.

Range Card
(03-12-2022, 01:21 AM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: Sorry to agree that imy experiences with cup & Core bullets are largely bullets have been disappointing @ least in terms of weight retention. Yet my goal of high retained weight may certainly also be seen as a negative in some respects. Second day of deer season last fall I recognized an opportunity at the largest whitetail deer I have seen during rifle season.

Conditions on that second morning of season were not conducive to getting a shot opportunity on the brute that morning. I opted to back out un detected & come back for an afternoon / evening hunt. I also opted to switch to the most accurate  & heaviest cup & core hunting bullet I have worked with to date in the 6mm ARC. This was really open country & 300yards plus shot opportunity were likely.

The 80 grain TTSX will be a great option IMHO inside of 200 yards with a bolt action 6mm ARC. My confidence in that 80 grain TTSX may start to faid rapidly over 200 yards & as the hunt is close to what could be closet controversial property lines. If I really need a DRT result Il generally prefer a premium heavy for the 6mm caliber, cup & core hunting bullet.

If the all copper bullets were more cost effective I just might be able to practice enough to trust the 6mm TTSX to a greater degree.

I recently acquired another cup & core hunting bullet that Ill be putting to the testing regimen for accuracy & integrity. really looking forward to nicer weather to further test the 100 grain TGC.

I'M NEW TO THE GAME CZ, BUT YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY SPEER 105 GR. 6MM SPITZER THE BC IS LISTED AT .490 AND THEY'VE WORKED VERY WELL IN A 1 IN 9 TWIST 6MM REMINGTON.
with a 22" bolt gun (I have one), and the 103 eldx you can get lever to go up to ~2730's and even varget up to the low 2700's... put those into your ballistics and see what they give ya.
With lever theoretically you can go higher up to ~2800 but I stopped here on a decent node.
300 yds (2733 mv), 2245 fps and 1153 fpe still remaining.
Interesting perspective shared on proper hunting bullet selection. Granted not geared toward 6mm hunting bullets for the most part, still a very interesting line of thought that may not follow much of the marketing trend as of late.
Taken with a grain of salt generally good info IMHO. I did see couple rather minor errors regarding Guilding metal, & drive bands vs grooves W Hammer bullets. Otherwise spot on IMHO. Not bad food for thought at the very least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnR1SZlcfSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmpiEVQBJNY&t=633s
(07-14-2023, 03:04 PM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: Interesting perspective shared on proper hunting bullet selection. Granted not geared toward 6mm hunting bullets for the most part, still a very interesting line of thought that may not follow much of the marketing trend as of late.
Taken with a grain of salt generally good info IMHO. I did see couple rather minor errors regarding Guilding metal,  & drive bands vs grooves W Hammer bullets. Otherwise spot on IMHO. Not bad food for thought at the very least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnR1SZlcfSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmpiEVQBJNY&t=633s
So based on what he said a bullet that expands and passes thru is preferred to the bullets that so called enter and expand explosively. sSince I am not a fan of lead cores I picked up on what he said about the Hornady GMX but not sure I got it right.

Controled expansion plus velocity gives the energy to effect a clean kill AND a bullet constructed to hold together long enough to penetrate are the key to long distance hunting and applies to reg ranges too

Based on this,working with the 90gr CX in Hornady's line and the 87gr Absolute Hammer, the 88gr Shock Hammer, the 101gr Hammer hunter and the 90gr Hammer HHT along with most of Barnes bullets would be worth doing in the smaller 6ARC ?
The CX will be very effective up to the distance, point the velocity drops below a point that allows adequate expansion. You can do your own test I suppose. Tough I would research velocity loss at distance. Example, if you have 3000 fps muzzle velocity with a 90 grain CX. Near sea level this 3000 FPS muzzle velocity erodes to a little over 2300 FPS at 300 yards. What I would call attainable velocity in a 22" bolt action rifle. Attainable muzzle velocity from a 18" gas gun load would be lower than listed above, we may expect.

Randy suggest a minimum Impact velocity of 2300 FPS with the Copper bullets as a rule of thumb. I'll agree with this lower threshold. With the example above I would expect that 90 gr CX to offer good terminal performance out to 300 yards. This is providing you have the capability to deliver the bullet in the vital zone in your field conditions.

As your muzzle velocity varies or your altitude varies adjusting your distance threshold can be adjusted accordingly.
I think this negativity about cup and core bullets is over blown. Years ago I hunted a lot with a 243 loaded down to just over what the average loads for the ARC are running. I used the 90 and 85 grain Speer bullets and had nothing but good results. I was loading down a bit because where I was hunting a very long shot was 200 yards the average being less than 100. Surprisingly I got a lot of exits with these bullets, accuracy excellent and muzzle blast much more pleasant. I am not saying the bullets did not shed some lead just that they killed well. I am planning on testing the Speer 85 gr. BTSP from my 6AR this year pushed to an easy 2900 fps and expect good results. Plus no worries about narrow wound channels. If I were hunting an area where I would normally have to shoot over 300 yards I would pick a bigger cartridge. I like a minimum of 2000fps impact velocity and I do not wish to experience poor bullet performance with the animal way out there with a head start on leaving the area.
(07-16-2023, 03:12 PM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: The CX will be very effective up to the distance, point the velocity drops below a point that allows adequate expansion. You can do your own test I suppose. Tough I would research velocity loss at distance. Example, if you have 3000 fps muzzle velocity with a 90 grain CX. Near sea level this 3000 FPS muzzle velocity erodes to a little over 2300 FPS at 300 yards. What I would call attainable velocity in a 22" bolt action rifle. Attainable muzzle velocity from a 18" gas gun load would be lower than listed above, we may expect.

Randy suggest a minimum Impact velocity of 2300 FPS with the Copper bullets as a rule of thumb. I'll agree with this lower threshold. With the example above I would expect that 90 gr CX to offer good terminal performance out to 300 yards. This is providing you have the capability to deliver the bullet in the vital zone in your field conditions.

As your muzzle velocity varies or your altitude varies adjusting your distance threshold can be adjusted accordingly.
I thought I had read 2000 FPS at impact but with the 90gr CX and all of the Hammers I'm above 2300 fps at impact as long as I keep it below 300yds. My 24" pac-nor Match grade barrel gives me a little help and my gun range is about 15'-20' above sea level and I hunt in the mountains at about 545' above sea level Big Grin .
I am really interested in that 101gr hammer . Since I'm doing single shot and not worried about Mag. length . I think it will fit but I ordered 15 just to have a hands on check. 
If I can get it to fit I plan on starting with the load data for the 103ELDX and see what works up. I can't find anything on that bullet in 6arc

I have about 50 different loads worked up with the Hornady and Hammer bullets different loads but all with LR powder for now just have to get where I feel well enough to go shoot. I may have to get my grandson to hang targets for me  Rolleyes
in the 6mm arc I am of the opinion that with all copper, 90 grains is the point of diminishing returns in the 6mm ARC, Anything more & velocity loss due to lack of case capacity may be starting to be, detrimental. Perhaps I am wrong on this, though this is where my gut, & my 45 years of reloading is pulling me. Not quite enough steam in the boiler room for this one.

Are the 95 grain plus offerings worth a try? By all means give it a try & report back. Though the 101 gr hammers recommend a 7 twist. The 7.5 twist of our 6mm ARC will fall a bit short if you have a standard twist.

I had picked up some 70 hammer hunters & 83 grain shock hammers in the past. Expect I'll roll with one of these this season.
(07-17-2023, 02:59 AM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: in the 6mm arc I am of the opinion that with all copper, 90 grains is the point of diminishing returns in the 6mm ARC, Anything more & velocity loss due to lack of case capacity may be starting to be, detrimental. Perhaps I am wrong on this, though this is where my gut, & my 45 years of reloading is pulling me. Not quite enough steam in the boiler room for this one.

Are the 95 grain plus offerings  worth a try? By all means give it a try & report back. Though the 101 gr hammers recommend a 7 twist. The 7.5 twist of our 6mm ARC will fall a bit short if you have a standard twist.

I had picked up some 70 hammer hunters & 83 grain shock hammers in the past. Expect I'll roll with one of these this season.
You may be right BUT I'm new and having seen on paper that the 101 at 2800fps gives better or the same  downrange energy that the 87 or 90gr does at 3000fps + I would like to put hands on 
Take one with my OAL gauge and see how it all fits together, how far into the case it fits and what I can do with different powder

I did go to the twist cal. you mentioned and it is within specs so we'll see

Big Grin
.243 Cal-101g Hammer Hunter
MAKE SURE YOUR BARREL TWIST IS FAST ENOUGH FOR THIS BULLET BEFORE ORDERING

In stock and ready to ship!

(1 customer review)
$22.00 – $104.00

Required minimum twist is 1-7″ or faster

Bullet length is 1.32″
[attachment=708 Wrote:         CZ527 Guy pid='5931' dateline='1689631052'].243 Cal-101g Hammer Hunter
MAKE SURE YOUR BARREL TWIST IS FAST ENOUGH FOR THIS BULLET BEFORE ORDERING

In stock and ready to ship!

(1 customer review)
$22.00 – $104.00

Required minimum twist is 1-7″ or faster

Bullet length is 1.32″
I didn't play with it enough to find the exact temp it went from green (good) to yellow (marginal ) This was from JBM so depending on temp I wanted to see for my self I just bought 15 to play with

Attached Files Image(s)

How about bullets for varmint hunting? Been using the 58gr. VMAX with good results out of my 1-8 twisted barrel.
90 grain CX does more than fine at short distances. Took two small midwest doe's this fall. Terminal performance left nothing to be desired IMHO. Expecting fine performance to 300 ish yards based on what I have seen so far.
(11-30-2023, 04:00 AM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: 90 grain CX does more than fine at short distances. Took two small midwest doe's this fall. Terminal performance left nothing to be desired IMHO. Expecting fine performance to 300 ish yards based on what I have seen so far.
That's what I'm hoping. I'm taking 90GMX to hunt this year then will switch to CX. Loads are almost identical shooting them out of my gun. We'll see how they do on Hogs this weekend.
I still want to play with Hammer but will hunt the Hornady till I use them up.
I'll post pictures if I get one.
Look forward to your account & photos.
New to the forum and new to the 6ARC, but not new to reloading. Gun= Cobalt Kinetics AR SPR Elite 22" 1:7.5 Have'nt put any down the pipe yet, but initially it wil be factory loads.

For a game load I'd be really curious to see if the Nosler 90gr Accubond will work out in a load or not. I really like the Accubond bullet in my 260 bolt and actually use Nosler factory loads they work so well.

Really would like to set up a varmint load using a Hornady Vmax, Sierra Blitzking, or Nosler Ballistic tip varmint. From an old 243 project I have 87 Vmax and some lighter ones as well. Some SBK that I don't recall the weight on.