Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Savage 110 Switchback 6mm Arc
Sportsman Warehouse specific model Savage 110 Switchback, heavy 22" barrel, strange brake and limited accufit stock.
Rob's Reloading review has out of the box test and another test with a chassis using 87 v-max.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWwF3PcSGcA
They have this in stock at my local S.W. for $499.99 so I think I will get one (talk me out of it if you think this is a bad idea.)
If you do pick one up, I'd like to see your opinions on how well (or not) it feeds, after doing a decent number of fired rounds. Feeding is the one main issue I have with the mini-cartridges in savage like greendel and 6Arc. 223 does fine of course, but the savage detachable mag for our little guys... has been problematic for me in the past.
Maybe they have fixed it, idk...
It's a boy! My first Savage. I'll give details about max oal that will fit in the mag and how it does with dummy rounds, and range reports when the weather is better. As others have noted the stock forend is a bit squishy, gap on each side is not even but is free floated, it passed the paper check. Brass smears on the bolt face indicated it was test fired. Bore cam on uncleaned barrel shows no horror but there may be a bit of concern on the crown. I'll check again after cleaning.
I like savages, they are/have been all shooters for me.
Kind of economical <moa-ish rifles that you can customize piece by piece.
I am envious, I want a bolt action in 6 arc. My wife said if I buy another gun she gets another cat. Right now I'm hiding an upper in a case so she doesn't see it. I can agree with grayfox on the accuracy of savage rifles. I have a savage hog hunter in 223 with handloads it will print dime size three shot groups at 100yds if I do my part.
O.k., I had some ejection problems with my dummy rounds. The fix was to stone/polish the extractor edges so that it didn't bind in it's slot.
Max mag c.o.a.l. is 2.435" or so, plenty big. The three round mag is somewhat difficult to load the rounds in. Good news is it's fairly easy to single feed into the chamber. Scope rail screws were only 10 inch pounds so I re torqued all action and scope rail screws.
Scope is mounted and it's ready to go to the range.
I just posted about my new Switchback Savage 6mm arc in the ammo thread. This thing shoots great and the barrel is the easiest to clean that I have ever owned. The stock is not the accustock and I have ordered an Oryx chassis that is due next Tues. This rifle is a bargain at $499 (sale price) and even at the $549 price. Check it out at Sportsmans Warehouse online as it is their exclusive model. The 6mm ARC is going to rule the AR 15 world and be big in bolt competition shoots. I am a Viet Nam vet and can tell you that the the 6mm ARC will be a big deal on the battlefield.
Old Marine, saw your post on the other thread. It will be nice to compete for the smallest group size and compare load data.
I tried to order one yesterday, it was going to be to much trouble. The FFL they wanted to send it to was pretty far away, and way to expensive for me. So I said naw not going to do it for something I don't really need.

FFL they wanted to send it to wanted $75, my guy charges $25 and he's like 10 min away. I'll just save my $$$ for a true precision rifle. I have to many now, went out yesterday and bought an add on safe for my pistols
If you can not see the tyranny of having a gun ban enforced by men with guns... Then you fail to understand why the second amendment was written in the first place.
Dino11, I hope you get your rifle. My Wilson die is due to arrive today and am anxious to get to loading. Been shooting Hornady black and match and it is not consistent with flyers in almost every group. I used a Lee collett die on 6 cases but had to use a little force to start the bolt closing as the shoulder was just a bit tight ater one fireing. Made two loads, one 70gr balistic tip and the other hornady 87gr vmax. Used aa2230 -30gr and 29gr- and both 3 round groups were between .5 and .6 moa and loaded both at 2.100. These were random loads from data from the Hornady bolt gun load data and only give me a hint as to the potential for this rifle. I will share what I learn and hope to learn from others.
Posting this info source as he is using a 6 ARC Savage Switchback.  Rob's reloading 3 or 4 other 6 ARC tests.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cJaIfd8CJA

Attached Files Image(s)

Here is pics of my first range trip with the Savage.  It was cold, 30 degrees and patchy fog, overcast.  This is fireforming with Hornady converted brass using 65 v-max with Accurate 2200 and 108 ELD-M with CFE 223.  No break in cleaning at the range, I shot 15 v-max then 15 108's testing if it's copper removing properties would let me skip that.

and pic #3

Attached Files Image(s)

Lem, looks like you got a shooter. I have around 250 shots through my Switchback and it keeps getting better. Using 28gr W748 and 29gr CFE223 my groups with the 105 and 108 Hornadys are all under 1/2''. I am getting under 1'' with the lighter bullets using AA2230.
I am finding that pushing velocity tends to open the groups with most bullets. One exception being the 87 VMax w/29 gr AA2230 shooting .6 @2950. On cleaning my barrel after 35/45 shots I need 3 wet Hoppes #9 each followed with a couple dry and then 3 wet patches with sweets copper solvent followed again with 2 dry and finish with 91% isopropyl. Very easy barrel to clean if you are not shooting the Hornady factory loads as they are serious soot producers.
Old Marine, very encouraged that you are getting good results.  There are many critics of CFE 223 and my opinion was that it wasn't that great but if further testing continues to perform I might be buying a 8lb jug when prices drop some.  I cleaned my Savage with 4 wet patches of Hopes #9 to remove carbon and looked with the bore camera.  No copper from muzzle to about 18 inches, then med. to mild copper for the last 4 inches.  I'm going to shoot as it is my next range session with exclusive CFE 223 loads.

Attached Files Image(s)