Review: Savage Switchback 110 6mm ARC
After two weeks with the Sportsmans Warehouse exclusive ''Savage Switchback'' I will share my early thoughts on this rifle.
    It has a 22'' medium heavy barrel chambered for the 6MM ARC and weighs about 8#. The stock is the 110 base plastic one and is free floating but not the Accustock. I think this stock is used for the sport contour barrel as there is very little space between it and my rifles heavy contour barrel. After 60 rounds I have cleaned the tube 10 times and find it the easiest barrel to clean I have ever owned.
     I did not measure the triggers pull but guess about 4# with a clean break. I ordered and installed the Savage varmit trigger spring and will measure pull as soon as my gauge arrives; it feels about 1 and a 1/2# and is much improved over the stock spring. I have not shot the rifle with the light spring installed.  20 moa  picatiiney is standard.
     Shooting it is enjoyable as the recoil for the arc feels almost zero. I removed the muzzle break as it increases muzzle blast and changes POI; a cap is on the way. Accuracy shows real promise as I have three 5 round groups just over 1/4'' and two 3 round groups just over 1/2.''  Hornady Black for the 5 shot groups shows this ammo is very good with 2691 average velocity. The 3 shot goups are 2 different hand loads using AA2230 with Noslers 70gr. Balistic TIp and Hornadys 87gr. V Max. 
     I have ordered the MDT Oryx chassis because the stocks forend will lay on the barrel if the front rest is too far forward and this opens the groupings. Also, the stock magazine is horrible and it is a nightmare to load. There are no cycling issues with the gun so far.
     In summery what you get is the Savage 110 action and a very good barrel. I think the trigger is good if the lighter spring is used. The stock is good enough for hunting but not for the precision long distance shooting I want for targets and varmits. I am very happy to have this bolt gun chambered in 6MM ARC.
What type of mag will the oryx chassis use for you? The switchback uses a typical savage dbm, is that right? Nice writeup, I too am a savage fan.
(Although I must confess my latest, a bergara, is much smoother and really nice! had to splurge one time I guess).
Hey grayfox,the switchback uses the standard single stacker Savage holding 3 for the arc, the oryx uses the AICS MDT magazine that is very good. I do have a Tikka lite in 6.5 CM and that action is smooth as butter, best I have ever used. I wish the Savage bolts were as smooth.
I just picked the Switchback 110, rebedded into the Oryx Stock. took it to the range today..... OMFG. put 20 rods through it so far during the break in process. I am very happy with this rifle so far. No cycling issues. Used Hornady Match Ammo today.
Question regarding how finicky the 110 Switchback is, or is not in terms of how reliable a wide variety of ammo will feedi from the mag. I expect all currently factory loaded ammo to feed ok at a minimum. Though I am curious as to how the Spire point bullets will feed in terms of reliability or with most any bullet choices to be reloaded?
(01-30-2022, 10:31 AM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: Question regarding how finicky the 110 Switchback  is, or is not in terms of how  reliable a wide variety of ammo will feedi from the mag. I expect all currently factory loaded ammo to feed ok at a minimum. Though I am curious as to how the Spire point bullets will feed in terms of reliability or with most any bullet choices to be reloaded?
CZ, the Savage stock with its magazine is Okay and does leave a small ding on the lead point from the ramp but the Oryx chassis with the 308/6.5 mag is clean. Overall, the rifle cycles pretty good for a Savage but I did need to remove the extractor and smooth the edges so it would not stick. Another site Switchback owner passed that on for me.
(12-19-2021, 01:38 PM)Old Marine Wrote: After two weeks with the Sportsmans Warehouse exclusive ''Savage Switchback'' I will share my early thoughts on this rifle.

Excellent review.  My Switchback came in last week and I took it out for some break-in.  My review would be very similar to yours except I had some minor cycling issues which I expect to go away as the action breaks in.  Nothing alarming.

Stock - you are dead right.  I have a MDT GRS chassis coming for precision work.  That was my original plan.  I wanted wanted a longer barrel than the tactical offered but the Axis was not threaded so it was put.
Barrel - Hunters should get the Axis.  The Switchback barrel is too heavy for anything but stand hunting.
Accuracy - Stupid accurate despite the stock an shooting off sandbags with no rear support. A better stock and shooter would easily get 1/2 MOA out of the box.
Finish - It is definitely a low cost finish.  I’ll definitely be careful with my anti rust strategies including wiping it down with a little oil before I put it away.  

Muzzle Device - Savage used nuclear grade Lok Tite.  I couldn’t get it off and the gunsmith I took it to said it was really hard to get off. I now have an Area 419 adapter which I will use to mount a suppressor.

Bottom Line: I have a 6ARC precision rifle with a 22” threaded barrel. Exactly what I wanted to trynPRS with.

(12-19-2021, 01:38 PM)Old Marine Wrote: After two weeks with the Sportsmans Warehouse exclusive ''Savage Switchback'' I will share my early thoughts on this rifle.

Excellent review.  My Switchback came in last week and I took it out for some break-in.  My review would be very similar to yours except I had some minor cycling issues which I expect to go away as the action breaks in.  Nothing alarming.

Stock - you are dead right.  I have a MDT GRS chassis coming for precision work.  That was my original plan.  I wanted wanted a longer barrel than the tactical offered but the Axis was not threaded so it was put.
Barrel - Hunters should get the Axis.  The barrel is too heavy for anything but stand hunting.
Accuracy - Stupid accurate despite the stock an shooting off sandbags with no rear support. A better stock and shooter would easily get 1/2 MOA out of the box.
Finish - It is definitely a low cost finish.  I’ll definitely be careful with my anti rust strategies including wiping it down with a little oil before I put it away.  

Muzzle Device - Savage used nuclear grade Lok Tite.  I couldn’t get it off and the gunsmith I took it to said it was really hard to get off. I now have an Area 419 adapter which I will use to mount a suppressor.
Good to hear these reviews.
I have a 22" uintah and it is really nice. Currently have a VG6 gamma on the end as a brake but just got in an area 419 adapter so will be trying my suppressor out. My first trial with the adapter is my 300 hamr, but more will follow like the uintah and a couple more. I'm setting up so I can switch between brake and suppressor at the range.

Most time if a brake is causing POI shift it's because they used a crush washer, which places a skewed torque on the barrel end. Better to use jam nut or accuwasher, something that is flat on both sides. And re-useable!
I have an Axis II, and want to put it in an Oryx chassis. What is the bolt spacing on the Switchback? The Axis II is 4.800 and I don't believe the Oryx chassis supports this spacing. Or is their enough room to re drill the chassis to accomodate the 4.800 spacing?

Any help with this matter will be greatly appreciated.
If you can not see the tyranny of having a gun ban enforced by men with guns... Then you fail to understand why the second amendment was written in the first place.
If I were considering the Oryx chassi Id give serious consideration to other actions as well. Savage 110 & Howa mini, come to mind.
Dino check that spacing against the Savage LA, IIRC the Axis is a LA for everything just shortening up via bolt followers and such.
I also think that MDT has some chassis for the Axis itself. IDK if the oryx is but look at their drop-downs for model type.
Yep, just looked at the oryx website they have both Axis LA and Axis SA, Axis II and plain Axis are same spacing. Axis II is just adding in the accutrigger but action is the same.
MDT's LSS-gen 2 also has Axis. the lss-xl does not.
got a MTD Oryx on order today and it was on sale for $365 at Optics Planet. Now I need to get a mag to replace that pathetic 3 round think that the Switchback came with. However, I can't see paying $70 bucks for a 10 round mag. Does anybody make a 5 round mag for the 6 ARC? I hope so.
Does the MDT LSS-XL GEN2 CHASSIS fit the Savage 110 Switchback in 6mm ARC? Brownells web site indicates that it does: https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifl...=100035280

And here I see that MDT states the same thing: https://support.mdttac.com/hc/en-us/arti...Savage-fit-
My guess is for any savage 110 that lss-xl for that model (model110SA) will fit; however you are probably going to need an AICS mag for it. That mag part is the one that has me stumped, I know of 3 mfr's that do 223 style AI mags, but when I tried them they worked to varying degrees. So for the 6Arc in Sav 110, I just don't know how it works or not.
Would be interesting to me b/c I like the mdt's and savages... I have a couple in 243/6.5 CM/ 308.

email mdt, they've always been helpful to me.
I think the only option now is the MDT mags for 6mm ARC: https://mdttac.com/6mm-arc-mdt-metal-magazine-10-rnd/

or the 12 rd mags …. https://mdttac.com/6mm-arc-mdt-metal-magazine-12-rnd/
I bought the 224 Valkyrie AICS mag cause I'm cheap, nay, frugal. Love the 6ARC.
I've now ventured into the CZ world with a 600 Alpha in .223. 24" barrel with a 1:7 twist. If it doesn't rock the 223 world, my plan is to have it rechambered in a 22ARC.
    It has a 22'' medium heavy barrel chambered for the 6MM ARC and weighs about 8#. The stock is the 110 base plastic one and is free floating but not the Accustock. I think this stock is used for the sport contour barrel as there is very little space between it and my rifles heavy contour barrel. After 60 rounds I have cleaned the tube 10 times and find it the easiest barrel to clean I have ever owned.
     I did not measure the triggers pull but guess about 4# with a clean break. I ordered and installed the Savage varmit trigger spring and will measure pull as soon as my gauge arrives; it feels about 1 and a 1/2# and is much improved over the stock spring. I have not shot the rifle with the light spring installed.  20 moa  picatiiney is standard.
     Shooting it is enjoyable as the recoil for the arc feels almost zero. I removed the muzzle break as it increases muzzle blast and changes POI; a cap is on the way. Accuracy shows real promise as I have three 5 round groups just over 1/4'' and two 3 round groups just over 1/2.''  Hornady Black for the 5 shot groups shows this ammo is very good with 2691 average velocity. The 3 shot goups are 2 different hand loads using AA2230 with Noslers 70gr. Balistic TIp and Hornadys 87gr. V Max. 
     I have ordered the MDT Oryx chassis because the stocks forend will lay on the barrel if the front rest is too far forward and this opens the groupings. Also, the stock magazine is horrible and it is a nightmare to load. There are no cycling issues with the gun so far.
     In summery what you get is the Savage 110 action and a very good barrel. I think the trigger is good if the lighter spring is used. The stock is good enough for hunting but not for the precision long distance shooting I want for targets and varmits. I am very happy to have this bolt gun chambered in 6MM ARC.

Your results are very similar to what I am getting with my Savage-Axis-II-6mm ARC rifle with a 22" sporter barrel. When I used the Hornady 105 grain ammo I was getting 1/2" groups at 100 yards also.

When I reloaded using the Hornady 105 grain BTHP bullet to the same OAL I had my best groups with 26.8 grains or RL-15 compared to the Varget and BL-C2 I tried. The best groups were at ~ 0.2". My "Quickload" software estimated that my MV was ~2608 fps. I added a cheek rest and a Harris bipod, but I shoot tighter groups off of a bag.

I use a relatively inexpensive Riton 5-24*44 scope mounted on a 20 MOA scope rail.
I put my Switchback into a Oryx chassis and now use AICS mags and love it!! Shoots great and little to no recoil.
How does  one get the trigger guard off the Switchback? I got the action screws but the trigger guard does not want to come off.
Found the screw under the bolt release button …. Sad