New member from Maine
Hello members,

I just ordered parts to build a 6 ARC upper.  I'm here to learn more about my new favorite AR rifle cartridge and am enjoying the forum already.  Happy Holidays to all! Big Grin

arcfan
Welcome arcfan & Happy Holidays back at ya! We're all still learning about this new cartridge. It'll be a fun ride! :-)
The trick is growing up without growing old. -- Casey Stengal
Welcome arcfan!

What are you building? Short thick-woods hunting gun? Defense-oriented maybe? Long range target?
(12-20-2021, 03:06 PM)SBRSarge Wrote: Welcome arcfan!

What are you building? Short thick-woods hunting gun? Defense-oriented maybe? Long range target?
Thanks for the welcome!

Long range target.  The performance improvement that the 6 ARC brings to the AR-15 platform is what sold me, it's that simple.  The AR-15 platform is pretty much a must have item to me and the extra punch is very welcome for shooting up to 1000 yards.  I have a 20" Ballistic Advantage Premium Series barrel and Geiselle SSA-E trigger, and I'm not sure yet about scope, I like the Vortex Venom at the moment.  I'll shoot mostly steel and a few targets, all very casual and just for fun.
(12-20-2021, 08:16 PM)arcfan Wrote:
(12-20-2021, 03:06 PM)SBRSarge Wrote: Welcome arcfan!

Thanks for the welcome!

Long range target.  The performance improvement that the 6 ARC brings to the AR-15 platform is what sold me, it's that simple.  The AR-15 platform is pretty much a must have item to me and the extra punch is very welcome for shooting up to 1000 yards.  I have a 20" Ballistic Advantage Premium Series barrel and Geiselle SSA-E trigger, and I'm not sure yet about scope, I like the Vortex Venom at the moment.  I'll shoot mostly steel and a few targets, all very casual and just for fun.

....just got an e-mail from Arken Optics about the release of their new EP5 scopes, 5-25x56, FFP, Japanese HD Glass, you might want to check out their site www.arkenopticsusa.com
Thanks for the heads up, one of those would be great too!
(12-20-2021, 08:16 PM)arcfan Wrote:  and Geiselle SSA-E trigger / I'll shoot mostly steel and a few targets, all very casual and just for fun.

I'm slightly behind you thanks to the holidays... Have you put that trigger into a lower yet?

I'm shopping for a trigger myself and saw that, but the heavier first stage seems counterintuitive to me. Any feedback would be great if you're so inclined.

Without knowing any better, I'm pretty sold on the Timney Targa 2 stage, though I don't yet know which one.

Pretty much the same purpose for me and looking forward to working up loads, poking little groups in paper and whacking steel as far away as this sea of trees allows. 

Cheers...
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
Hi GRH,

Now I'm delayed, we're tied.   

I can't imagine getting a better trigger for an AR target gun and I don't mind the 2 stage at all so far, like it's not even there.  Your pull with this level of trigger will become muscle memory and second nature in no time anyway.       

I've already been using the 3 lb. total pull Geissele SSA-E trigger for several months with a 223 Wylde upper.  I like this trigger very much, it was an instant accuracy and fun improvement, and I would get another one if I was to build another gun for a similar purpose.  I'm watching to see if we get a 22 ARC or something close, and commercialized.  For me personally, this is a straight out AR target trigger but no doubt there are more than plenty who could run this and do well with it in either a combat or competition situation. 

I've also tried the SSA trigger which has a slightly heavier overall pull, 3.5 pounds total if I remember correctly.  This trigger would have worked very well too, and not being used to either trigger at the time when I first tried them, the extra .5 lb. pull probably wouldn't have been noticeable had I not tried the triggers back to back.  The 3.5 pounder was great, but 3 pounds was perfect for me. 

The Geissele will go with the 6 ARC range/fun gun, and I'll get something heavier for the 223W, which now becomes the primary defense gun.  I'll probably try an ALG ACT, which is an improved mil-spec trigger which has little if any lighter pull than full mil-spec, but with hopefully an improved break.  I think they claim 4.5 to 6 pounds typical.  Meanwhile I'll just go back to the mil-spec trigger I originally used as comes standard in the Anderson Manufacturing LPKs, which wasn't terribly terrible.

I very much recommend the Geissele video on their triggers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypb5HXdDJhc  I've watched this a few times and now that it's come up again will probably watch it again soon to confirm the next trigger choice for the 223W.  This guy speaks our language, very smart, and is totally decent about it.  I picked out the SSA-E from watching this video, it sounded perfect for me and I've always been very happy with my choice.

I don't know anything about the Timney model you mentioned but I put a single stage Timney in my Savage 110, which is primarily for target/steel, adjusted to 3 pounds, and love it for what I do. 

I had access to a 1000 yard shooting spot for years and shot lots of paper and steel at measured ranges of up to the 1000 yards.  I had a couple of pretty good factory triggers but nothing aftermarket in all that time.  Either of my triggers, the Geissele or Timney I have now, are better than I'll ever need them to be and better than any factory trigger I've ever had by at least some margin, so to me the bottom line is if one couldn't do it with either the Geissele or Timney trigger like we're talking about here, he couldn't do it with any trigger.

To be fair I can't keep up with all of the trigger offerings there are now and don't even try so there are possibly better choices than this.  Take care.
(01-04-2022, 05:12 PM)arcfan Wrote: Hi GRH,

Now I'm delayed, we're tied.   

I can't imagine getting a better trigger for an AR target gun and I don't mind the 2 stage at all so far, like it's not even there.        

I've already been using the 3 lb. total pull Geissele SSA-E trigger

For me personally, this is a straight out AR target trigger but no doubt there are more than plenty who could run this and do well with it in either a combat or competition situation.  

I'll probably try an ALG ACT, which is an improved mil-spec

Anderson Manufacturing LPKs, which wasn't terribly terrible.

I very much recommend the Geissele video on their triggers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypb5HXdDJhc  I've watched this a few times and now that it's come up again will probably watch it again soon to confirm the next trigger choice for the 223W.  This guy speaks our language, very smart, and is totally decent about it.  I picked out the SSA-E from watching this video, it sounded perfect for me and I've always been very happy with my choice.

I don't know anything about the Timney model you mentioned but I put a single stage Timney in my Savage 110, which is primarily for target/steel, adjusted to 3 pounds, and love it for what I do. 

I had access to a 1000 yard shooting spot for years

To be fair I can't keep up with all of the trigger offerings there are now and don't even try so there are possibly better choices than this.  Take care.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I were action shooting a single stage would make sense, but I want a two stage for for something that will primarily be a range gun, and whacking the occasional coyote.

The Timney Targa triggers are both two stage, 2+2lb and the choice of straight or curved trigger. One is a "long" pull and the other is "short" pull. That's the only description given and I'm not entirely sure what they mean by that so I guess I should just give them a call.

I did look at the ALG ACT also and it looks like a nice affordable upgrade from mil-spec for your everyday/action shooter. Right now I have "enhanced" triggers from PSA and they are pretty decent, they're still kinda heavy but at least they have distinct stages and and a clean break.

I don't know a lot about Anderson other than like PSA, they have huge USA machine shops full of CNC machining centers. PSA's sister company is DC Machine that makes everything including barrels for many other places and are simply branded at manufacturing. So how can it all be the "junk" some say it is?

If I had access to 1K yds I wouldn't know what to do with myself! We had a place that I could get 200 from, but over the years they have all been gated off or houses planted on them. Now I'm looking at getting into a club I was a member at long long ago. Of course now, no one knows who I am so I have to do all the hoop jumping to get back in.
At least I'll have a place to get 150yd from to shoot in peace and work on my loads without all the transplant massholes calling the the PD. I live on a short dead end dirt road with 100's (if not 1000's) of acres of woods behind me and almost every time I shoot in my yard the PD does a driveby. This sure isin't the NH I grew up in anymore. (rant over)

Thanks for the info, I haven't watched the vid yet but I will, I appreciate any help I can get so hopefully I only need to buy once.
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM