Need a new bolt. Recommendations
StoneHendge that's very interesting. Sounds like the PF type 2 bolt that I have has the pivot pin location of a type 1. I can see how a mistake like that could happen.
One of the best bolts I have used, the Black Nitride+ treatment makes this bolt very durable and easy to clean.

https://rubbercityarmory.com/product/6-5...bolt-only/

Lifetime warranty to boot.

Edit to add

http://blacknitride.com/

These folks do Nitriding for some of the biggest names in the firearm industry, Kelbly, LMT, Origin, ect... They have the best thing going in Nitriding gun parts, they also own Rubber City Armory which is right across the street from their main headquarters in my home town of Akron, Ohio. This stuff is so slick you don't even need to oil the parts they will not gall with no lube, and wipes clean with a paper towel. Do your homework and research these guys.
If you can not see the tyranny of having a gun ban enforced by men with guns... Then you fail to understand why the second amendment was written in the first place.
(01-23-2022, 08:14 PM)popgun Wrote: StoneHendge that's very interesting. Sounds like the PF type 2 bolt that I have has the pivot pin location of a type 1. I can see how a mistake like that could happen.
That's exactly what I was thinking - or calling it a Type 1 bolt with Type 2 lugs......
#FJB
Yes Thanks StoneHedge for taking the time for your measurements.

Dino11 I have heard good things on Rubbercity products before, especially their BCG's. Thanks
(01-24-2022, 12:33 AM)popgun Wrote: Yes Thanks StoneHedge for taking the time for your measurements.

Dino11 I have heard good things on Rubbercity products befoned out really nice and re, especially their BCG's. Thanks
I had them Nitride the barrel and bolt on my Uintah bolt gun. it turned out really nice and should last a long time. I had it done because it shoots sub MOA and I wanted to keep that accuracy for as long as I can. But I am considering selling it to get a custom built bolt gun.

Attached Files Image(s)

If you can not see the tyranny of having a gun ban enforced by men with guns... Then you fail to understand why the second amendment was written in the first place.
Looks very nice! Do you plan on a 6ARC for a bolt gun or something else?
Nice Black Nitride job Dino! How many break-in rounds did you fire through the barrel before you had it nitrided?
The trick is growing up without growing old. -- Casey Stengal
Problems with the Maxim bolt too. It has a hard time grabbing Lapua brass which has .002-.003" thicker rim .057" compared to Hornady at .054"

...FWIW, after initial firing of my gasser build (approximately 50 rounds) , a thorough inspection of my Ballistic Advantage BCG showed NIL wear of any kind. I have no idea if Aero/BA is manufacturing their BCG's or OEM sourcing from another. I paid particular attention to the backside of the bolt lugs after popgun's post of the peening he experienced. I typically lightly lube the backside of the bolt lugs, especially for a new builds 1st outing so that may (or may not) mitigate that problem. Old habit from my Army armorer training.

...Being new to the Grendel/6ARC space, I was curious about the thin walls of the bolt face, so again that was closely inspected. All was good to go at this point. I was impressed at how easily the nitrided BCG & bolt wiped clean after sitting for 3 days post range session, very impressive, its my 1st nitrided BCG.

...one thing I noted during the 1st 5 rounds I fired, I did so with the SLR AGB completely closed and manual extraction took some effort. Those casings should be as close to an exact conformance to my chamber so I can record measurements for future fine tuning of my dies (converted Starline 6.5G brass). Manual extractions were normal as I opened up to final full functioning setting @ approx 3:30/4:00 ejection pattern, which I prefer.

...I did not have a muzzle device installed during that outing, just a thread protector, was curious to see how much recoil & jump would be encountered. Felt recoil was negligible, but there was enough movement to disturb sight picture thru the scope. I'm going to put a spare 6.5 VG6 Gamma on for the next outing to gauge the difference.
(01-24-2022, 12:26 PM)popgun Wrote: Looks very nice! Do you plan on a 6ARC for a bolt gun or something else?

I'm going to get one of the Defiance Badrock 6 ARC bolt action guns.
Quote:Nice Black Nitride job Dino! How many break-in rounds did you fire through the barrel before you had it nitrided?

I put 200 break in rounds through it first, 30 of those rounds were the Tubbs Final Finish to polish out the barrel then hand lapped with JB bore paste and Kroil. Then had to break it in again after I got it back. I am going to sell the rifle very soon, need to get my order in it is a 12 week wait for them to build it. Going to use it in PRS class this summer. I may offer it with the optic as well or in different configurations. Rifle has 650 rounds through it now and shoots .5 MOA or better with my hand rolled stuff in different weights. Has a Hyper Fire 2 stage trigger with a 2lb second stage, rifle is in pristine condition.

I will take some pictures and post them up, I don't have any since the barrel was Nitrided of it put back together.
(01-06-2022, 02:37 PM)popgun Wrote: Thanks Bob, that's exactly what I was thinking. The Maxim, PF appear to be available and opticsplanet "shows" JP bolts in stock. Now the question is which one of those. I don't have a problem spending a little more on the JP if I'm getting what I pay for and it's actually in stock. I don't like wasting money either.
We have been very pleased with our JP bolts thus far. you definitely are getting what you pay for with them. We are working on a 6ARC barrel project and we are exclusively running these bolts. Chamfers and surface finish are 2nd to none, no machining marks, rough edges, etc. We do have a few in stock still at MAP so you wont find them cheaper. If you're still looking check out our site! 

https://www.beercitybullets.com/parts-components
(02-04-2022, 12:37 AM)BeerCityBulletsLLC Wrote:
(01-06-2022, 02:37 PM)popgun Wrote: Thanks Bob, that's exactly what I was thinking. The Maxim, PF appear to be available and opticsplanet "shows" JP bolts in stock. Now the question is which one of those. I don't have a problem spending a little more on the JP if I'm getting what I pay for and it's actually in stock. I don't like wasting money either.
We have been very pleased with our JP bolts thus far. you definitely are getting what you pay for with them. We are working on a 6ARC barrel project and we are exclusively running these bolts. Chamfers and surface finish are 2nd to none, no machining marks, rough edges, etc. We do have a few in stock still at MAP so you wont find them cheaper. If you're still looking check out our site! 

As badly as I need a bolt I won't order from a website with no phone number or address. Thanks
Just ordered bolt number 4 from Rubber City Armory. What a mess this has been. I will NEVER do any business with PF in the future, the worst costumer service and arrogant attitude. I haven't heard back from Maxim, so I'm not sure if they will refund my money or not. Ordered a Ballistic Advantage bolt from VTsupply and was sent a $30 cheaper Faxon, so sent that back.
(02-25-2022, 03:37 PM)popgun Wrote:

As badly as I need a bolt I won't order from a website with no phone number or address. Thanks
That is understandable. I'm sorry to hear about your experiences elsewhere. Our reason for not having a phone number or address posted currently is we are exclusively e-commerce and do not have a retail location. We wanted to avoid any confusion for anyone local that may be looking to stop in. I will include that information to this post however and would love to address any other concerns with our site as we are looking to build a reputation on trust. We sincerely do appreciate the feedback!

Phone: (616)788-0391
Return Address: 436 Cedar St. NE Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Instagram: beercitybulletsllc
I have an aero bolt that is doing the exact same thing. I have worked up some hot loads but not shooting them constantly. Only for load work up. Looks like jp it is for me
(02-27-2022, 03:02 PM)Jurive Wrote: I have an aero bolt that is doing the exact same thing. I have worked up some hot loads but not shooting them constantly. Only for load work up. Looks like jp it is for me

Looks like number 5 will be a JP for me too. I just received the Rubber City bolt and the bolt face depth is only .133" maybe .134". Went to check headspace and a case sized to 1.188" is snug with my previous bolts, I went down to 1.186" and the bolt was an effort to close and I fought to get it back open. So that led me to check bolt face depth.
(03-01-2022, 11:58 PM)popgun Wrote: Looks like number 5 will be a JP for me too. I just received the Rubber City bolt and the bolt face depth is only .133" maybe .134". Went to check headspace and a case sized to 1.188" is snug with my previous bolts, I went down to 1.186" and the bolt was an effort to close and I fought to get it back open. So that led me to check bolt face depth.

...Popgun, is that the shoulder datum you are referring to?  Have you measured any of your fired cases to see how much they blew out to?
(02-26-2022, 06:54 PM)BeerCityBulletsLLC Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 03:37 PM)popgun Wrote:

That is understandable. I'm sorry to hear about your experiences elsewhere. Our reason for not having a phone number or address posted currently is we are exclusively e-commerce and do not have a retail location. We wanted to avoid any confusion for anyone local that may be looking to stop in. I will include that information to this post however and would love to address any other concerns with our site as we are looking to build a reputation on trust. We sincerely do appreciate the feedback!

Phone: (616)788-0391
Return Address: 436 Cedar St. NE Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Instagram: beercitybulletsllc
OK Beercity I just put in a order. I hope I can get it by Friday and would pay the extra shipping to do it. Thanks
(03-02-2022, 12:06 AM)r.tenorio671 Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 11:58 PM)popgun Wrote: Looks like number 5 will be a JP for me too. I just received the Rubber City bolt and the bolt face depth is only .133" maybe .134". Went to check headspace and a case sized to 1.188" is snug with my previous bolts, I went down to 1.186" and the bolt was an effort to close and I fought to get it back open. So that led me to check bolt face depth.

...Popgun, is that the shoulder datum you are referring to?  Have you measured any of your fired cases to see how much they blew out to?
Yes shoulder datum measured with a Hornady headspace comparator using the correct 350 adapter. I didn't resize and fire any rounds with the Rubber City bolt (that's what I was about to do and why I was checking fitment), I don't want to crush my brass down that far to make it work and it's not properly made regardless. With my Aero bolt fired Hornady brass would measure right at 1.191" before the bolt was damaged. That dimension grew a little and is what caused me to closely inspect my original bolt.

r.tenorio671 the 1.188" in the first post you replied to was resized to that dimension.
Oh, and the ejector pin in the Rubber City bolt looks like somebody chucked it up in a drill and ground a bevel on the end against a rock. Sorry for the rants. ?