What are the premium 6mm ARC barrels?
Hey guys.  I have a CMMG Endeavor 300 in 6mm ARC with their factory 20" barrel.  I'm going to continue some testing and load development for it as soon as the weather warms a bit but so far I'm not excited with the accuracy of the barrel. I don't think it's going to be a keeper.

So, if a person wanted to get a really nice AR-15 barrel, maybe 22-24 inches to swap into this CMMG AR15 what brands should I consider?  I'm looking for target shooting steel hopefully out to 1000 yards. I'd like to to be able to put the majority of my shots onto a full size IPSC steel target at 1000 yards if that's possible.

I saw on youTube a guy posting about his Mos Tek 6mm ARC barrel getting shots on target out to a mile with factory Hornady ELD match ammo. I wasn't familiar with that brand but that seems like maybe something I would consider.

Thanks!
Compass lake cuts barrels from Bartlien, Krieger, Douglass and one or two more. Top shelf custom, but approx 10 week or longer wait.

Off the shelf, Rainier Ultra match is very nice and I'm sure the Proofs are really nice. No personal experience with them but always very good things being said of them.
I can vouch for the Lilja's sold by Six Sigma. https://sixsigmaarms.com/products.php?d=63

The most accurate barrel I've ever owned was a carbon Proof Research.
#FJB
Precision Firearms barrels get good reviews. They use Criterion, Krieger & Bartlien barrels for 6mm ARC AR tubes...

https://www.precisionfirearms.com/48m8/b...m-arc.html
The trick is growing up without growing old. -- Casey Stengal
....there are MANY reports of "Xbrand" barrel being accurate, OR inaccurate. Reports should be taken with a grain of salt, especially if the "report" didn't contain any real info and consisted of mostly the reporters opinion but no data results supporting their claim. Any brand could be a "hit or miss" situation as the installation process used by the installer has other significant factors that affect the outcome. Ammo used also is a big factor, i.e., commercial or handloads, with handloads having their own assembly process/components influencing the final result.

...among many of the posts/reports found, there will be some common name brands identified...again, look for supporting data in those reports. There are the "smatterings" of "lesser known" barrels that get reported on that if good data is included in the report, considerations should be given.

...a good brand name baseline "tube" isn't a barrel until machining operations occur....the best baseline can be ruined by improper machining.

....pricing, once your budget is determined, search the vendor sources and pick one that fits your budget, schedule and warranty/replacement/refund policy requirements/expectations.

BTW, I have yet to see a negative post/report on MOS-TEK products in regards to acuraccy results. What is notable is that MOS-TEK provides full customer "customization" of the tube they may wish to order, i.e., profile, gas port sizing, etc.

Full Disclosure: I have been using Ballistic Advantage barrels in multiple AR15 & AR10 calibers since 2012 and have yet to be disappointed in any of them. I also have Brownells/SATERN and ARP barrels that have been very good as well. ...I still have and use them.
(01-18-2022, 07:08 PM)Thelaststraw Wrote: Compass lake cuts barrels from Bartlien, Krieger, Douglass and one or two more. Top shelf custom, but approx 10 week or longer wait. 

Off the shelf, Rainier Ultra match is very nice and I'm sure the Proofs are really nice. No personal experience with them but always very good things being said of them.

Thanks! I will look into that.

(01-18-2022, 07:24 PM)StoneHendge Wrote: I can vouch for the Lilja's sold by Six Sigma.  https://sixsigmaarms.com/products.php?d=63

The most accurate barrel I've ever owned was a carbon Proof Research.

Thank you very much!

(01-19-2022, 01:56 AM)r.tenorio671 Wrote: ....there are MANY reports of "Xbrand" barrel being  accurate, OR inaccurate.  Reports should be taken with a grain of salt, especially if the "report" didn't contain any real info and consisted of mostly the reporters opinion but no data results supporting their claim.  Any brand could be a "hit or miss" situation as the installation process used by the installer has other significant factors that  affect the outcome.  Ammo used also is a big factor, i.e., commercial or handloads, with handloads having their own assembly process/components influencing the final result.

...among many of the posts/reports found, there will be some common name brands identified...again, look for supporting data in those reports.  There are the "smatterings" of "lesser known"  barrels that get reported on that if good data is included in the report, considerations should be given.

...a good brand name baseline "tube" isn't a barrel until machining operations occur....the best baseline can be ruined by improper machining.

....pricing, once your budget is determined, search the vendor sources and pick one that fits your budget, schedule and warranty/replacement/refund policy requirements/expectations.

BTW, I have yet to see a negative post/report on MOS-TEK products in regards to acuraccy results.  What is notable is that MOS-TEK provides full customer "customization" of the tube they may wish to order, i.e., profile, gas port sizing, etc.

Full Disclosure:  I have been using Ballistic Advantage barrels in multiple AR15 & AR10 calibers since 2012 and  have yet to be disappointed in any of them.  I also have Brownells/SATERN and ARP barrels that have been very good as well. ...I still have and use them.
Very interesting. Thanks!
Patrick, IMHO the refund/replace warranty of any barrel maker/vendor should be priority, regardless of the pricing. Many of the suggestions given already are known for consistently producing accurate barrels. Good luck!
A decent barrel chambered by a skilled smith will always be a 'decent' barrel. A top notch, as-good-as-it-gets barrel, chambered by a hack will be a paperweight. I agree that most everything mentioned so far will give you good results. You just need to decide if you want custom or off the shelf at this point really and you will be all set.

And as far as hitting an IPSC at 1000 yards...if you are up to the task your rifle will be hitting 66% IPSC at 1000. I speak from experience, and it was my first time past 600. I took mine to 1260 that day.
(01-19-2022, 11:07 PM)Thelaststraw Wrote: A decent barrel chambered by a skilled smith will always be a 'decent' barrel. A top notch, as-good-as-it-gets barrel, chambered by a hack will be a paperweight. I agree that most everything mentioned so far will give you good results. You just need to decide if you want custom or off the shelf at this point really and you will be all set.

And as far as hitting an IPSC at 1000 yards...if you are up to the task your rifle will be hitting 66% IPSC at 1000. I speak from experience, and it was my first time past 600. I took mine to 1260 that day.

Thanks a bunch. I have never had anything "custom" and so I guess I need to learn more about that.
Having a "custom" barrel made isn't like having a custom classic car built ground up or anything. Some barrel companies have really good craftsmanship and QC so even though they have inventory of barrels, they are high quality. Having a custom barrel spun up allows you less popular or very specific options. For example, I have a .223 Wylde barrel with an extended gas and 5/8 thread that are less popular in it's length and caliber. It can be a long wait though.

Every mfg name given above have off the shelf options that are most likely as good or better than what I have in my honest opinion. All I got that they didn't offer was having the exact profile, OAL/gas length combo and specific muzzle thread.
(01-20-2022, 08:55 PM)Thelaststraw Wrote: Having a "custom" barrel made isn't like having a custom classic car built ground up or anything. Some barrel companies have really good craftsmanship and QC so even though they have inventory of barrels, they are high quality. Having a custom barrel spun up allows you less popular or very specific options. For example, I have a .223 Wylde barrel with an extended gas and 5/8 thread  that are less popular in it's length and caliber. It can be a long wait though.

Every mfg name given above have off the shelf  options that are most likely as good or better than what I have in my honest opinion. All I got that they didn't offer was having the exact profile, OAL/gas length combo and specific muzzle thread.

Thank you!
I'm also a very happy customer of Compass Lake Engineering. Them and White Oak are top makers of match service rifle barrels and White Oak doesn't make Grendel or ARC barrels, at least not the last time I checked. They made my barrel from a Criterion blank. 22" with a +1" gas system.
(01-22-2022, 08:58 PM)popgun Wrote: I'm also a very happy customer of Compass Lake Engineering. Them and White Oak are top makers of match service rifle barrels and White Oak doesn't make Grendel or ARC barrels, at least not the last time I checked. They made my barrel from a Criterion blank. 22" with a +1" gas system.

....IIRC, when the 6ARC debuted, WOA had responded to an inquiry that their confidence in the 6.5 Grendel bolt durability/reliability (thin walled/breakage issues) was low, therefore they chose not to produce barrels for it (at the time).
(01-23-2022, 03:12 AM)r.tenorio671 Wrote: ....IIRC, when the 6ARC debuted, WOA had responded to an inquiry that their confidence in the 6.5 Grendel bolt durability/reliability (thin walled/breakage issues) was low, therefore they chose not to produce barrels for it (at the time).
 That's correct and it's been quite a while. I don't think WOA will ever get into the ARC barrel game. Even with the downloaded pressures I guess they don't want to risk it. They know boys will be boys and run em hot from time to time.
Sure like my Pacnor on the CZ 527. pretty sure they will spin up a AR barrel as well.
New here, so I'm late to the party.  I'll echo what others have said about who spins up the barrel is just as important, if not more, than the pedigree of the barrel itself.

I've had a several uppers done by Mike Milli of Dedicated Technolgies.  He uses Shilen blanks and all I've received have been excellent shooters.  My latest build I had him do a 20" medium contour straight flute in 6 ARC.  I sent him my bolt for head spacing and upper receiver to square up.  About a 6 month wait, but I knew what I was getting in return and was not disappointed.

Like another said, I've also had good luck with Ballistic Advantage, although I only have a test sample of one.
Tact - Telling someone to go to hell in such a manner that they enjoy the trip.