Vv n540??
N540. Has anyone tried this powder yet.
Nobody has tried this powder yet?
(01-28-2022, 06:11 PM)Jurive Wrote: N540. Has anyone tried this powder yet.
I have some and am planning on trying it with 90 gr TGK  and 105 gr Berger VLD hunting bullets when I get my AR put together.
This website has some N540 load data if you are willing to pay: www.xxl-reloading.com
N540 Has never been seriously on my radar. Suppose due to slim availability of the powder & load data for calibers I utilize.
I have some loaded for the range and will report back after. Didn’t want to waste any more time and money after I found out my bolt was jacked.
...check out this YT vid, info on N540 w/103 ELD-X with a bolt action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPJLDwCIr_U
Interesting video. Now I would like to see a video comparing N540 against LVR and CFE223.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid". Sgt Stryker
....this burn rate chart from "Reload Swiss"  shows a "linear" comparison between powders that may be helpful to folks..

YMMV

.pdf   Reload_Swiss-Burnrate_Chart_dt.pdf (Size: 1.1 MB / Downloads: 37)
Finally see this Propellant available at a price that nearly made me drop a duce. Better options out there from my perspective at todays high prices still less than 540 by a good bit.
While waiting for the omnipotent gods of shipping to bless me with parts to complete my upper, I have been powder modeling in an attempt to buy once, or at least weed the field.

Tac, W748, CFE223, Varget, A2520, BL-C2, LVR, H4350 and N540 all fall within acceptable parameters with expected give and take between them all.

As I usually find, Vihtavuori is the clear choice, but... times being the way they are and local availability being what it is I could not justify the cost even if I could find some.

I have no baseline yet to judge so I'll probably go with Tac Varget or W748, whichever I can get my mitts on first. Obviously there is no way to know what someones particular setup would actually like the best without trying.

If I saw some on the shelf with some extra cash in my pocket, I would absolutely love to try N540, but for now I have plenty of work to do first.
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
(03-18-2022, 09:55 PM)GRH Wrote: While waiting for the omnipotent gods of shipping to bless me with parts to complete my upper, I have been powder modeling in an attempt to buy once, or at least weed the field.

Tac, W748, CFE223, Varget, A2520, BL-C2, LVR, H4350 and N540 all fall within acceptable parameters with expected give and take between them all.

As I usually find, Vihtavuori is the clear choice, but... times being the way they are and local availability being what it is I could not justify the cost even if I could find some.

I have no baseline yet to judge so I'll probably go with Tac Varget or W748, whichever I can get my mitts on first. Obviously there is no way to know what someones particular setup would actually like the best without trying.

If I saw some on the shelf with some extra cash in my pocket, I would absolutely love to try N540, but for now I have plenty of work to do first.

....in a previous post I detailed my pressure tests with W748 & 105 RDF's and 8208XBR & 70 Varmageddons.  Both worked quite well and no pressure indications.

....if you load for other calibers with any of the powders you listed, and you have some on hand, it would be worth your time to test with it once you complete your build and before you purchase a powder "unseen".  Hodgdon's  "Load Data Center"  has an extensive list of powder/bullet combinations you can refer to, pay particular attention to a powders pressure rating (shown for MAX charge).

...LVR & CFE right now are "generally" aknowledged as the "kings of speed" if that is your goal, but for some folks the other aspects (temp sensitivity, clean/dirty. etc) are factors in their consideration, YMMV.
(03-19-2022, 01:40 AM)r.tenorio671 Wrote: ....in a previous post I detailed my pressure tests with W748 & 105 RDF's and 8208XBR & 70 Varmageddons.  Both worked quite well and no pressure indications.

....if you load for other calibers with any of the powders you listed, and you have some on hand, it would be worth your time to test with it once you complete your build and before you purchase a powder "unseen".  Hodgdon's  "Load Data Center"  has an extensive list of powder/bullet combinations you can refer to, pay particular attention to a powders pressure rating (shown for MAX charge).

...LVR & CFE right now are "generally" aknowledged as the "kings of speed" if that is your goal, but for some folks the other aspects (temp sensitivity, clean/dirty. etc) are factors in their consideration, YMMV.

I do have TAC and was planning on that first, but I'd like to also give Varget or W748 a try, at least I have a fighting chance of locating those locally if my timing is right.
I'm not too thrilled with what I've heard about LVR being really dirty and temp sensitive so I'm hesitant on that. I know someone that uses it so maybe he will spare me a bit for a workup if I ask nice.

With a 103gr Hornady all three powders show 2500ish fps at 10%+ below Pmax but obviously I'll start lower than that. They all have decent fill ratio and burn rate/ratio, it will probably just a matter of luck which I stumble across first.

Honestly I plan on sticking to 103/5/9 bullets because if I want something lighter I already have those choices in the same and other platforms. Also this is going to be an exercise in putting a "heavy" bullet down accurately and repeatably.

I don't have bullet jump or H20 capacity and some other details yet but things look quite promising so far.
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
There is a youtube 6mm ARC reloading video using v540 powder ….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPJLDwCIr_U
Got some great groups after getting my new jp bolt with the n540. .24 inches.

Here is a pic

Also the bottom right is a 58 gr vmax with h4895

Sorry guys that is the h4895 powder. Will get correct pictures later but will leave these because it preformed great as well

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice! Post some velocities and barrel length.
Been using VV N140 26.6 and 90 gr Barnes target bt Shot a .548
Also using TAC 25.9 108 ELD got a .460 100 yds AR 6MM ARC

Cannot figure how to load photos?