Quickload Filling/L.R. ?
I use Quickload quite often, but the Filling/L.R. boggles my mind. My loads say they are over 100% filled, thus slightly compressed. I measured from the top of the neck to the powder and this is just not the case.The base of bullet would not even be touching at the depths I load them at for the bullet I am using in the program. Just odd. Anyone else out there measure this? What I do is take a drill bit with a collar and drop it down until it rest on the powder then move and secure the collar at the top of the neck. Then, just bring it to the outside of the case. Kinda simplistic way of measuring, but it works. Going to do look at the case dimension part of the program and see if I can refine it a little to exactly my fire-formed case, of course after the .002" shoulder set back.
I use a like method that works well for me. Take a fired case, leave in the primer, don't size it. Put in the amount of powder to be tested and use the bullet to test. It should slip in and out of the case neck and sit on the powder column with a small amount of finger pressure. Measure OAL and at that measurement is where compression begins. I leave a variety of unsized case on my bench for this purpose.
(08-04-2021, 03:48 PM)KenC Wrote: I use Quickload quite often, but the Filling/L.R. boggles my mind. My loads say they are over 100% filled, thus slightly compressed. I measured from the top of the neck to the powder and this is just not the case.The base of bullet would not even be touching at the depths I load them at for the bullet I am using in the program. Just odd. Anyone else out there measure this? What I do is take a drill bit with a collar and drop it down until it rest on the powder then move and secure the collar at the top of the neck. Then, just bring it to the outside of the case. Kinda simplistic way of measuring, but it works. Going to do look at the case dimension part of the program and see if I can refine it a little to exactly my fire-formed case, of course after the .002" shoulder set back.
Since getting QL I've been disappointed in it's readouts compared to, say Johnny's on youtube, thus have now begun to only use it as a second sounding board to my actual results. About all I can add is that it gets me into a ball parkĀ figure of where I want to go
A wild flower growing up thru the cracks in the sidewalk. - Problem child