Poll: What Switchblock setup should I use for a 12" Faxon barrel?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
14.5"-16" for 5.56x45
0%
0 0%
12.5" for 5.56x45
0%
0 0%
11.5" for 5.56x45
100.00%
1 100.00%
10.5" for 5.56x45
0%
0 0%
12.5" for 6.8 SPC
0%
0 0%
Total 1 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

12" Faxon barrel with Noveske Switchblock
Looking at doing something different. I currently have an 18" Proof setup. Looking at doing a short ARC

I would like to run the Faxon 12" barrel because of the barrel being short and nitrided for barrel life/corrosion resistance. I do plan on running this both suppressed and un-suppressed and having a quick gas adjust would be nice. I am looking at going the Noveske Switchblock route. At the moment they only have 5.56 and 6.8 SPC "tunings" for the system. For carbine gas systems they have 14.5-16", 12.5", 11.5", 10.5" barrels in 5.56, and 12.5" barrels for 6.8 SPC. If I go with the Switchblock route, what setup should I use? I will message Noveske as well and see if they could possibly help.
The moment you've got it figured, you're wrong.
(04-10-2022, 07:49 PM)notagrendel Wrote: Looking at doing something different. I currently have an 18" Proof setup. Looking at doing a short ARC

I would like to run the Faxon 12" barrel because of the barrel being short and nitrided for barrel life/corrosion resistance. I do plan on running this both suppressed and un-suppressed and having a quick gas adjust would be nice. I am looking at going the Noveske Switchblock route. At the moment they only have 5.56 and 6.8 SPC "tunings" for the system. For carbine gas systems they have 14.5-16", 12.5", 11.5", 10.5" barrels in 5.56, and 12.5" barrels for 6.8 SPC. If I go with the Switchblock route, what setup should I use? I will message Noveske as well and see if they could possibly help.

...to be honest, I suggest an AGB that has a larger/wider & "finer" range of adjustment. 

My personal preference is SLR AGB's having used them since their Gen 1's, in multiple calibers and gas system types (pistol, carbine, mid & rifle).  Due the variances in the gas journals, I find the "clamp" type AGB's to encounter fewer problems with leakage and I personally have never encountered any "loosening" over the years.  I've also never experienced "carbon lock", but after use I run the adjustment screw out-in-out-in-out-in-original setting to "auger off" any carbon build up.
(04-11-2022, 12:14 AM)r.tenorio671 Wrote:
(04-10-2022, 07:49 PM)notagrendel Wrote: Looking at doing something different. I currently have an 18" Proof setup. Looking at doing a short ARC

...to be honest, I suggest an AGB that has a larger/wider & "finer" range of adjustment. 

My personal preference is SLR AGB's having used them since their Gen 1's, in multiple calibers and gas system types (pistol, carbine, mid & rifle).  Due the variances in the gas journals, I find the "clamp" type AGB's to encounter fewer problems with leakage and I personally have never encountered any "loosening" over the years.  I've also never experienced "carbon lock", but after use I run the adjustment screw out-in-out-in-out-in-original setting to "auger off" any carbon build up.
On my 18" proof build I run a SA AGB. While it works as intended, I also only shoot that thing with a silencer. One setting for one setup. Set it and forget it.

While it is nice to have infinite options, I would rather deal with no more than 5 settings (Switchblock has 3. Yay if it works.) Infinite options just means a PITA when going back and forth in the midst of almost 30+ settings especially under a handguard and I have to make more than ½ of a rotation and hopefully guess right the first time.

As for clamp vs set screw: I've done both, and the only one that came off was from a BCA upper I bought for less than $250 using a set screw design. In the end I might even have the setup retrofitted for a pinned gas block.
I was able to make contact with Noveske about the Switchblock test and they recommend either the 12.5" or 11.5" 5.56 variant. I will probably try out the 11.5" variant.

Also, I found out that the Midwest Industries Gen 2 Free Float 2-Piece Handguard Quad Rail AR-15 Extended Carbine Length will fit perfectly with the Switchblock.