Savage Axis II
Local gun shop near me sent a flyer stating that they have these on sale for $350.

Never having dealt with Savage, and only going by what I found on the internet these seem to be a pretty good rifle for the money.  want to use it to fire form cases and use for a general plinking bolt action.

Now the real question. It pnly comes with one magazine with a 4+1 capacity, that's a real turn off. After searching the web I can not find mags for this gun. I would settle for extra mags, or better yet at least a 10 round one. I know they do not offer the 10 rounder but wondering if anyone has used a different one with any success. I saw a thread were someone used a 308 AICS magazine. Can they be used and what modifications needed to be done.

I did find these, and was wondering if they might work.

https://badrockrifles.com/accessories/
If you can not see the tyranny of having a gun ban enforced by men with guns... Then you fail to understand why the second amendment was written in the first place.
Finding mags is definitely a problem. Sometimes at the big gun shows there's a big mag-vendor that has lots, maybe they might have one or 2.
Sometimes you can get mags, parts direct from savage arms, maybe give them a call.
I do see some Axis mags on ebay but they are usually 308's, one or 2 223's.

To do the conversion to AICS style you need the bottom metal and trigger guard, I know that works for the model 10/110's but have not looked at the spacing for doing it on an Axis. Then the MDT mag would probably work.

One other pointer, the model 10/110 mags are the same internals and metal box as the Axis, only difference is the bottom piece, so if you find any Axis mag (I personally stick with the short version, not any long-actions like 30-06, 270) and a 10/110 mag for the 6Arc you can swap bottom pieces and use it then in the Axis. Maybe then sell the swapped "10/110" mag that is left over. I have swapped 308 and 223's on the bottom metal to shift a mag over to either Axis or model 10's.
(05-11-2022, 11:04 AM)grayfox Wrote: Finding mags is definitely a problem.  Sometimes at the big gun shows there's a big mag-vendor that has lots, maybe they might have one or 2.
Sometimes you can get mags, parts direct from savage arms, maybe give them a call.
I do see some Axis mags on ebay but they are usually 308's, one or 2 223's.

To do the conversion to AICS style  you need the bottom metal and trigger guard, I know that works for the model 10/110's but have not looked at the spacing for doing it on an Axis.  Then the MDT mag would probably work.

One other pointer, the model 10/110 mags are the same internals and metal box as the Axis, only difference is the bottom piece, so if you find any Axis mag (I personally stick with the short version, not any long-actions like 30-06, 270) and a 10/110 mag for the 6Arc you can swap bottom  pieces and use it then in the Axis.  Maybe then sell the swapped "10/110" mag that is left over.  I  have swapped 308 and 223's on the bottom metal to shift a mag over to either Axis or model 10's.
Think I'm just going to wait for the Howa mini EXCL, It is supposed to release sometime this spring. Just looks to be the more logical approach to this, at least for me. They already have them in 6.5G, 7.62X39 and .223.
If you can not see the tyranny of having a gun ban enforced by men with guns... Then you fail to understand why the second amendment was written in the first place.
Much as I like savages in general, that's been my assessment as well.
The mini howa's are good shooters, I like the 20" HB style myself.

I've also thought about getting a precision barrel (like the ones uintah uses) and just throwing it on either a howa mini or savage. They have "howage" style with the barrel nut so you can set the headspace yourself.