Rebarrel a cz527
Have a CZ527 in 7.62x39 want to rebarrel to 6arc. Who is best to do this and what barrel twist to get and length . I go twice a year to Alabama for charity hunts for the schools , longest shot 250 yds plan on Hornady ammo the 103 gr ?  Right now deer is all I shoot but do plan on maybe some small meat hogs later.

Thanks for any help this will be my backup rifle I use a Cz557 in 6.5CR and I have great grandkids coming this year so this rifle will be their starter if they follow me and my grandson into the field.
Should probably look at websites or call the usual suspects...
mcGowen, preferred barrels, x-caliber, others... the key besides who actually makes CZ barrels, will be the lead time. Lead times can be 12-16-24 weeks so, so best get figurin' quickly. I don't recall seeing which ones actually make CZ barrels however.
As to specs, there are some fairly standard ones, like 7.5 twist rate (some folks go for 7 tw), I personally like the 20" in a bolt action. I'm working up some 100 gr Tgk's at high 2700's, easily shootable for kids as well. good for beyond even 250. 103 Eldx works too, as some 95 berger's if you want. Bullet selection is not always what you want but what you can get.
Talking about rifles you might want to think on getting a Uintah bolt-action upper, which goes on any spec AR15 lower. The cost for this upper will be ~comparable to your custom barrel and you could get it in and practice with it much sooner. That's the one I'm working up the Tgk's on. Super nice for the money.
(05-23-2022, 06:18 PM)grayfox Wrote: Should probably look at websites or call the usual suspects...
mcGowen, preferred barrels, x-caliber, others... the key besides who actually makes CZ barrels, will be the lead time.  Lead times can be 12-16-24 weeks so, so best get figurin' quickly.  I don't recall seeing which ones actually make CZ barrels however.
As to specs, there are some fairly standard ones, like 7.5 twist rate (some folks go for 7 tw), I personally like the 20" in a bolt action.  I'm working up some 100 gr Tgk's at high 2700's, easily shootable for kids as well.  good for beyond even 250.  103 Eldx works too, as some 95 berger's if you want.  Bullet selection is not always what you want but what you can get.
Talking about rifles you might want to think on getting a Uintah bolt-action upper, which goes on any spec AR15 lower.  The cost for this upper will be ~comparable to your custom barrel and you could get it in and practice with it much sooner.  That's the one I'm working up the Tgk's on.  Super nice for the money.
Thanks right now I just want a good barrel for the cz and a place that will install. I have a lot of lead time this will be an additional rifle for me and the great grandkid is due in a couple of months so maybe 8 to 10 years on them (now have 2 on the way ) I have heard of Pac-Nor but none of the ones you mentioned I'll get on checking them out
And I have picked Hornady ammo so will keep an eye out for some as I go along
I installed my own barrel though I believe Pacnor offers the Instal as well. Sounds like you would want or need to send them the barreled action. As I recall they do not want the liability of your stock.

So my experience was I ordered a factory light weight contour 22" SS bead blast finish barrel with a 1in 7.5 twist. This barrel was ordered near the 1st of the year 2021 & received late last summer. Sounds like for your use this barrel length / contour may treat you and the youth well.

Think I noticed another outfit that offered a criterion barrel for a reasonable price as well recently though I do not recall who.

Very satisfied with my sample of one pacnor barrel. If you do this the Pac Nor rout, spend the extra for their Super match grade. Makes for a fine shooting easy cleaning barrel like I have never experienced before. A real pleasure to clean.

https://pac-nor.com/barrels/

Personally if I would consider doing anything diffrent going forward I may go with a heavier contour & thread 5/8-24 for a silencer.

If serious Id say give them a call & see what there current lead time is looking like.
https://pac-nor.com/barrels/ you may wish to study options prior to calling though. https://pac-nor.com/barrel-order-form/
(05-23-2022, 12:45 PM)Bassfish1952 Wrote: Have a CZ527 in 7.62x39 want to rebarrel to 6arc. Who is best to do this and what barrel twist to get and length . I go twice a year to Alabama for charity hunts for the schools , longest shot 250 yds plan on Hornady ammo the 103 gr ?  Right now deer is all I shoot but do plan on maybe some small meat hogs later.

Thanks for any help this will be my backup rifle I use a Cz557 in 6.5CR and I have great grandkids coming this year so this rifle will be their starter if they follow me and my grandson into the field.

Deer below was taken at 254 yards with the 22" Pac-nor mentioned above.

Attached Files Image(s)

(05-23-2022, 10:10 PM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: I installed my own barrel though I believe Pacnor offers the Instal as well. Sounds like you would want  or need to send them the barreled action. As I recall they do not want the liability of your stock.

So my experience was I ordered a factory light weight contour 22" SS  bead blast finish barrel with a 1in 7.5 twist. This barrel was ordered near the 1st of the year 2021 & received late last summer. Sounds like for your use this barrel length / contour may treat you and the youth well.

Think I noticed another outfit that offered a criterion barrel for a reasonable price as well recently though I do not recall who.

Very satisfied with my sample of one pacnor barrel. If you do this the Pac Nor rout, spend the extra for their Super match grade. Makes for a fine shooting easy cleaning barrel like I have never experienced before. A real pleasure to clean.

https://pac-nor.com/barrels/

Personally if I would consider doing anything diffrent going forward I may go with a heavier contour & thread 5/8-24 for a silencer.

If serious Id say give them a call & see what there current lead time is looking like.
https://pac-nor.com/barrels/  you may wish to study options prior to calling though. https://pac-nor.com/barrel-order-form/
Sent an email to pac-nor their website says 6 months, I can live with that. 
Can the bolt for 7.62x39 be used for 6mm ARC or do I need to have it modified ?

Thanks
Same bolt head. I have a 7.62X39 and can feed both cartridges from the magazine. The 6ARC won't chamber of course. I'm thinking of changing my CZ to ^ARC too!
(05-24-2022, 04:38 PM)MTMAN Wrote: Same bolt head. I have a 7.62X39 and can feed both cartridges from the magazine. The 6ARC won't chamber of course. I'm thinking of changing my CZ to ^ARC too!
Thanks, I just got off from Pac-Nor Barrel
Going with same factory contour barrel in match grade , 24" barrel with recessed crown ( all data seems to be for 24" ) and their Cerakote coating installed by Pac-Nor
Currently looking at a 6mo wait time..

I could probably buy a new gun for the price BUT I really like the little CZ527 and since I decided for the 24" barrel I would have to settle for a shorter barrel in a different gun, I haven't seen one longer than 22"
BF1952:
24" sounds like you are looking at the Varmint contour. May require a modified barrel channel in your existing stock or have you planed for another stock. Factory CZ527 light contour should be right at 22" long whereas the Varmint contour runs 24" OAL

https://czusafirearmstore.com/cz-527-var...sor-ready/

Did you go with the threaded 5/8-24 to allow a Moderator option? Did you have a stock in mind?
(05-25-2022, 09:29 PM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: BF1952:
24" sounds like you are looking at the Varmint contour. May require a modified barrel channel in your existing stock or have you planed for another stock. Factory CZ527  light contour should be right at 22" long whereas the Varmint contour runs 24" OAL

https://czusafirearmstore.com/cz-527-var...sor-ready/

Did you go with the threaded 5/8-24 to allow a Moderator option? Did you have a stock in mind?
No staying with the factory stock and will wait to get everything back and see what it takes to put it back together. 
Plan on staying with a sporter barrel or lightest I can get away with. I shoot maybe 50 shots a year so I don't think it will be a problem and no threads again just going to use for deer from a blind once or twice a year up in Alabama/Georgia.
Pac-Nor standard barrel is 28" cut to what the customer wants, since all of the ammo I have seen shows data from a 24" barrel and my CZ557 , 6.5 Creedmoor is 24" I thought I would stay with that
CZ seems to have discontinued the 527 mini-action. To bad!
(05-27-2022, 12:25 AM)MTMAN Wrote: CZ seems to have discontinued the 527 mini-action. To bad!
I certainly share this sentiment.
Update
After reading on barrel contour here I talked to Pac-Nor and am going with the CZ Varmint contour still at 24". Still plan on the original stock but maybe a Boyds if I can get one that doesn't require much fitting
More comfortable with both the Varmint Contoure With the barrel length chosen.
From my experience regarding the Boyds Stock, No fitting required. I have a few Boyds stocks & may encourage consideration of the At One Stock. The adjustable LOP may come in handy for a variety of shooters.

While no Fitting would be required, While I have not chosen to glass bed any of my Boyds stock, I am sure A glass bedding job for the action & lug, would benefit accuracy in a noticeable fashion.  Same would be true for any wood stock I expect.
(05-30-2022, 07:35 PM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: More comfortable with both the Varmint Contoure With the barrel length chosen.
From my experience regarding the Boyds Stock, No fitting required. I have a few Boyds stocks & may encourage consideration of the At One Stock. The adjustable LOP may come in handy for a variety of shooters.

While no Fitting would be required, While I have not chosen to glass bed any of my Boyds stock, I am sure A glass bedding job for the action & lug, would benefit accuracy in a noticeable fashion.  Same would be true for any wood stock I expect.
Thanks I'll look into that stock
Did look at Boyds current offerings, Looks like they offer at least 3 stocks with the adjustable LOP. Suppose see if any of these suit your needs or taste.

BTW My experience with CZ527 in 6.5 Grendel. Worked with some heavier loads recoil did result in some splintering or failure in the rear of the aaction frame. Thus Id recommend not following my example in not bedding the action. Even though the 6mm ARC likely will have considerably less recoil than my 6.5 G reloads were subjecting the stock to.

You have roughly 6 months to look in to this. You may do well to glass Bed at least the lug of not the entire action. Just a consideration.

Bell & carlson offers another of my favorite consideration if you are not needing the adjustable LOP. Aluminum bedding block has a real plus IMHO.

http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?...ry_ID=1096
OK New question.
I contacted Boyds, they have NO stocks for the CZ527 Carbine. I think mine is a 527m.
What is the difference in a carbine and the American ?
Once the barrel is removed and a new longer barrel is attached does it change anything ?

From their website and got a text saying same
PLATINUM CZ 527 VARMINT, SHORT ACTION, DETACHABLE BOX MAGAZINE, BULL BARREL CHANNEL, ZZ It is your responsibility to confirm the dimensions of your firearm with the supplied dimensions of our part. Barrel Dimensions: Where the barrel meets receiver / Point A = .990" 9 inches in front of Point A/ Point B = .890" Center to Center of Action Screws: 5.5”; Over All Length of Part: 31 7/16" Comes with Boyds' 1/2" Rubber Recoil Pad. ATTENTION: THIS STOCK IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE CZ 527 M CARBINE MODEL. All finished stocks have been CNC inlet to Boyds' House Action. Variations may exist from firearm to firearm, minor fitting may be required to get that perfect fit to your firearm. Natural cosmetic imperfections such as minor knots, burls, heartwood, mineral lines or minor cosmetic fill work are not considered a defect and will be subject to the 12% restocking fee .

Thanks
I'd say, ditch the idea of boyds. the at-one is real "blocky" and hard to get a good purchase on with the trigger hand, imo, that's what I found when I tried it. The extra factor as far as vetoing the boyds is they don't make the stock for it. If theirs would fit your model they would be saying it.

I would recommend the B&C, solid from the get go, lighter than boyds and that internal aluminum chassis works very well for you. But in any case sounds like you ought to confirm with your mfr that their stock will fit you particular CZ action.

edit to add: using a longer barrel doesn't alter the fit (or not) of the action itself, only whether the barrel channel in the stock fore end is wide enough for whatever your new barrel will be.
(06-02-2022, 03:32 PM)grayfox Wrote: I'd say, ditch the idea of boyds.  the at-one is real "blocky" and hard to get a good purchase on with the trigger hand, imo, that's what I found when I tried it.  The extra factor as far as vetoing the boyds is they don't make the stock for it.  If theirs would fit your model they would be saying it.

I would recommend the B&C, solid from the get go, lighter than boyds and that internal aluminum chassis works very well for you.  But in any case sounds like you ought to confirm with your mfr that their stock will fit you particular CZ action.

edit to add: using a longer barrel doesn't alter the fit (or not) of the action itself, only whether the barrel channel in the stock fore end is wide enough for whatever your new barrel will be.
I'm. not one for working on guns and can find no gunsmiths in my area that receive a recommendation from the dealer I use. If I am not able to find a stock for the cz carbine and wanted to do it right with having my wood cz stock modified who would you guys recommend and what would you have done to it ?
Since I am going to ship it can be anywhere in the country.

Thanks