what scope for out to 300yds for hunting 6mmarc
Wondering on my cz527 only shooting out to 300yds max. most at 200yds or less and in south Alabama forested terrain what would you guys recommend for deer hunting from a stand. I currently have a Leupold VX-3I 1.5-5 x 20, a Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7x33 Hunt-Plex and a 3x9 not sure what make (came on the axisII rifle)
My eyes are not the greatest and at dusk it's a challenge to find the game but once I see it shot placement is easy. 
My thinking is the 1.5x5, use 1.5 to acquire and dial up to 5 if needed. Last year I shot the 2x7 and had it on 2 most of the time, did dial up to 5ish on one shot at 220yds
Is there any reason to need the 3x9 that my friends all have ?
Thanks
Sounds like any of your current scopes may be up to the task at hand. Seems the performance of the scope in low light may be as much of a consideration as anything. Expect you are in the best position to make that call.
Thanks , just thinking someone here might have a different outlook. I am going to hunt this year with the 1.5x5 and see how it goes, I really like the field of View on it and it seems to shine in low light
Late afternoon/evening and early morning, is where the good scopes outdo the regular ones.

And as for "which scope", it really depends on your eyes not anyone else's.

If you're comfortable and can make good clean shots with the scopes you have, then that's great.
My story is a bit different. Old eyes for sure but had cataract surgery before I could see really well. But I have a need to see and even count antler points/ see spread distances so I have chosen to go with a large magnification and larger objective lens. When going beyond 100 yds I also like a FFP scope... so I've gotten into several Vortex ffp scopes, with 44 or 50 mm objective lenses. The light gathering and extra magnification help me a lot in identifying if it's a deer I want to shoot... or not.
The shots you don't take are as important, IMO, as the one you do.
But it comes down to what to your eyes need for you to make good shots. No one else's eyes matter in the discussion.
(07-04-2022, 01:46 AM)grayfox Wrote: Late afternoon/evening and early morning, is where the good scopes outdo the regular ones.

If you're comfortable and can make good clean shots with the scopes you have, then that's great.
My story is a bit different.  Old eyes for sure but had cataract surgery before I could see really well.  But I have a need to see and even count antler points/ see spread distances so I have chosen to go with a large magnification and larger objective lens.  When going beyond 100 yds I also like a FFP scope... so I've gotten into several Vortex ffp scopes, with 44 or 50 mm objective lenses.  The light gathering and extra magnification help me a lot in identifying if it's a deer I want to shoot... or not.
But it comes down to what to your eyes need for you to make good shots.  No one else's eyes matter in the discussion.

All good points which leads to only the op can decide in the end.

Purchased my first, first focal plane scope early last fall. My impressions may be all wrong. lots of choices lots of price points ranging from KISS to the sky is the limit. up until last fall Id consider myself a KISS kind a scope guy. Took my nicest deer yet with that set up. to be honest any of my previous scopes would likely have done just fine.

Laser range finder was the most helpful glass for last seasons hunt to be honest.
+1 on the laser!!! keeps you honest plus gives the real distance so you can adjust.
I kilt that one, musta been, o 3-4-5 hunnerd/ nope, 75 yds!!!
(Apologies to the grammar-folks out there).
(07-04-2022, 02:25 AM)CZ527 Guy Wrote:
(07-04-2022, 01:46 AM)grayfox Wrote: Late afternoon/evening and early morning, is where the good scopes outdo the regular ones.

My story is a bit different.  Old eyes for sure but had cataract surgery before I could see really well.  But I have a need to see and even count antler points/ see spread distances so I have chosen to go with a large magnification and larger objective lens.  When going beyond 100 yds I also like a FFP scope... so I've gotten into several Vortex ffp scopes, with 44 or 50 mm objective lenses.  The light gathering and extra magnification help me a lot in identifying if it's a deer I want to shoot... or not.
But it comes down to what to your eyes need for you to make good shots.  No one else's eyes matter in the discussion.

All good points which leads to only the op can decide in the end.

Purchased my first, first focal plane scope early last fall. My impressions may be all wrong. lots of choices lots of price points ranging from KISS to the sky is the limit. up until last fall Id consider myself a KISS kind a scope guy. Took my nicest deer yet with that set up. to be honest any of my previous scopes would likely have done just fine.

Laser range finder was the most helpful glass for last seasons hunt to be honest.
I carry a range finder and a pair of binoculars , Have been told I need the cataract surgery but haven't had it done yet. Maybe something like a 2x10 or 2x12 with that I could do away with binoculars and just use the scope , Maybe
SOUNDS LIKE YOU WON'T BE SHOOTING FAR, AND AT LOW POWER FFP SCOPES MAKE THE RETICLE SO SMALL ITS UNUSEABLE FOR LONGER RANGES, ESPECIALLY IN LOW LIGHT SITUATIONS. MIGHT WANT TO STICK WITH 2ND FOCAL POINT SCOPES.
(07-05-2022, 08:33 PM)MTMAN Wrote: SOUNDS LIKE YOU WON'T BE SHOOTING FAR, AND AT LOW POWER FFP SCOPES MAKE THE RETICLE SO SMALL ITS UNUSEABLE FOR LONGER RANGES, ESPECIALLY IN LOW LIGHT SITUATIONS. MIGHT WANT TO STICK WITH 2ND FOCAL POINT SCOPES.
No nothing over 300yds and most at 200 or less . Last year I got 4 and the grandson got 2 but again nothing to far. But some of the stands we were in gave us a chance out to a little less than 300 so that is what I'm going for . I zeroed 2" high at 100yds before going and all our shots were right on without having to adjust for distance.
My shots were with the 2x7 and the grandson had a 3x9. My biggest problem was when he says Papa there's a deer and I say where . He says over there and I cannot find over there. Part was low light and me seeing what he saw , the other part was explaining what  over there meant and how to relay where to look to another person. We have that worked out now. My first time in 35 years or so, His first time ever. But it all worked out
Glad to hear! I have a grandson that wants to go this fall.... so I've got a huntin' buddy.

About that "over there..." took me several years to get my wife to be more specific, 'cause I couldn't understand (literalist that I am)... lol! There it is, it's right there don't you see? Turn there... (I'm driving and not looking at her obviously!!)