Factory ammo ?
Looking at the Velocity listed for factory ammo at Hornady It would seem that their ammo is loaded for Bolt guns. It says with a test barrel of 24" for bolt and  Gas gun is 18" barrel

Looking at their reloading data for bolt and gas , I cannot find a powder charge that would give what's listed on the site and what is supposed to be for a gas gun . 

Does barrel length change that much ? 

What am I missing

Reason I am asking, on YouTube a reloader was talking about how much can be done for the bolt guns since factory is loaded for gas guns but it seems the factory ammo is just 1 step down from MAX Load in their reload data for Bolt guns

Thanks
High MV numbers sell. Pure marketing. Most vendors use a 24" universal receiver type gizmo to do their loads, so yeah, Hornady shows 24" data.
I believe however, that all of their loads are limited to the 52000 psi limit for a gas gun, what with lawyers and all. Probably some % lower than straight 52K. Liability.
Also, they use powder by the barrel and not necessarily any cannister types available to us regular guys.
Thing with a bolt gun is you can load it up to a higher pressure, say ~60 ksi (I think Hornady says 62K on their pdf's). A bolt gun does not have the AR lugs and bolt and bolt thrust to deal with, so can go higher in pressure.
Finally, their barrel vs a 24" barrel that you have, well not necessarily the same nor will they yield the same MV. Same as far as accuracy, each barrel is different.
Only question of the Op's that I am noticing that may have not been adiquitly answered is regarding velocity attainable with reloading data available seems to be limited, in that we are not really seeing much more velocitie than factory loaded ammo, for AR pressure limitations.

Id say Ops observations are on point. Manufacturers have access to propellants, not available to the rest of us. Thus factory ammo can and does offer some impressive low pressure velocities. We bolt action reloader may achieve a bit more velocity with Leverevolution CFE 223 & perhaps Power pro 2000. Rest of the propellant line up factory ammo will match or exceed reloaded ammo velocity. Now for Accuracy and extreme spreads in velocity, Reloader generally seem to have an edge with consistent velocity.

Then If you are like me & wish for more choices in projectiles, this is where reloader really have an edge in this and other cartridges. Lead free options Is where this greater bullet selection fact is hardest to overlook. An observation that stands true for most all cartridges
I have been watching a lot of YouTube video lately on the 6arc and reloading. I was wondering about the difference in pressure for Bolt over Gas.
Then I bought the iPhone app. for Hornady reloading, both gas and bolt.
going on line to Hornady's Ballistics calculator using velocity printed on my ammo box in the bolt app. I can find that exact load information and it appears to be 1 step down from Max load with LR powder allowing only a 50 fps increase for reloading before reaching max allowed and LR and Accurate 2520 are the only loads that push up to 2850 fps which shows as max. All other powders reach max before or at 2800 fps

None of the loads listed for gas guns list a powder charge that high so how are the factory loads safe in a gas gun.

I thought I would find the info listed on Hornady's website and on the box would be for the gas gun as maybe it's max safe load instead of the reverse.

I know that fps is not the end all in reloading but I see weight of bullet and speed indicates down range killing power all other things being the same so other than being able to go with a lead-free bullet Hornady seems to have built almost the perfect HUNTING bullet

Where am I not seeing this right ?

Attached Files Image(s)

(10-05-2022, 01:30 AM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: Only question of the Op's that I am noticing that may have not been adiquitly answered is regarding velocity attainable with reloading data available seems to be limited, in that we are not really seeing much more velocitie than factory loaded ammo, for AR pressure limitations.

Id say Ops observations are on point. Manufacturers have access to propellants, not available to the rest of us. Thus factory ammo can and does offer some impressive low pressure velocities. We bolt action reloader may achieve a bit more velocity with Leverevolution CFE 223 & perhaps Power pro 2000. Rest of the propellant line up factory ammo will match or exceed reloaded ammo velocity. Now for Accuracy and extreme spreads in velocity, Reloader generally seem to have an edge with consistent velocity.

Then If you are like me & wish for more choices in projectiles, this is where reloader really have an edge in this and other cartridges. Lead free options Is where this greater bullet selection  fact is hardest to overlook. An observation that stands true for most all cartridges

Bassfish: Hornady is using propellants not avaiable to the average guy that allow higher velocities at lower pressure due to there specialized burn rates that the rest of us look forward to the day these propellants are avaiable to the common reloader.
Factory ammo is on the ragged edge of pressure in a gas gun. I have seen flattened primers and ejector swipe marks on it.

I'd love to get my hands on Hornady's powder. That stuff is leaps and bounds above anything we can get for this cartridge.
If you can not see the tyranny of having a gun ban enforced by men with guns... Then you fail to understand why the second amendment was written in the first place.
I was just curious about the pressures , I don't have a gas gun and was hoping their was a way to get more down range power than shown by Hornady.
On another note I emailed Hornady asking about a round for 6arc with the 90gr CX bullet. Nothing even on the planning table. So I am continuing with my 90gr GMX and CX load development .

Thanks for the insight