Help with a inexpensive build for hunting pigs

My Grandson wants to go pig hunting, I am a bolt or single shot kind of guy BUT he seems to think I should use an AR style rifle. 
He gave me this to build a pig gun with. So 6mm ARC but other than that I'm lost haven't shot a 16 since forever, it will only be used for hunting so want to keep it inexpensive and once put together will never be changed.

Where do I go from here ? Only thing I know is I like longer barrels but don't know what a longer barrel is on an AR rifle.

Thanks
For AR lengths I prefer a 20" or maybe an 18". The Hornady load data for gas guns is based on 18" so using that you're right in the ballpark as to see what to expect.
Sixfive arms (a vendor on here and really good guy) has barrels, reasonable and accurate.
Or there's ballistic advantage, or maybe faxon, these all are decent shooters.
The one guy on the grendel forum shooting hundreds if not thousands of hogs, uses an 18" mounted with a thermal plus suppressor.

Back to the 18" and 20", best gas length tubes IMO would be the rifle gas, some of these have intermediate or rifle+ somethings, but the rifle length is my recommendation.

If you want to get the upper all at once then there's cmmg, a bit pricey but a good one and one of the original vendors in 6Arc. Aero/BA may have one too, idk. Me, I get an Aero upper receiver and just build them. You've got the upper recevier so you're off to a good start.

Joebob ooutfitters.com has lots of parts and are good guys also to deal with.

Handguards: Midwest industries is probably the best, but joebob will have some others, more of generics but I've used several and they all work fine. Most HGs will come with their own barrel nuts, thing I like about a barrel nut is when you don't have to time it, just use some antisieze and torque it properly.

standard screw-type low profile gas block, or an adjustable one, take your pick.

You should really consider getting a better trigger, a drop in - I like the ones at 2.5# but to each his own. barrel, trigger, and scope are the top three for accuracy sake. Spend your money there and get the other stuff nice but economical to hold it all together.
For lots of these parts, joebob is your friend, there's other good places to look also but can't go wrong with joebob.
For barrels I have an 18” Odin (about .75moa) and a 12” SixFiveArms (about 1.2moa), all with factory ELD-M and ELD-X ammo. SixFiveArms also has 16” and 20” pipes that will do you well for pigs without the NFA headache of my 12”and will probably group tighter. The SixFive Arms will be wayyyyy less expensive; enough so you can buy a LaRue MBT, or Schmid trigger (SixFive Arms carries the Schmid) to put into your lower.

If you’ll be hunting cooler/cold weather, think about a carbon fiber handguard. It won’t suck the warmth out of your hands like a metal one will. And if you shoot some fast magazines they won’t burn your hand. I’ve used Coda Evolution and TacStar and like both.

I’d think about replacing the butt stock with one with better cheek weld for an optic.

After the barrel and trigger, put the rest of your coin to a good optic.

ETA: For a straight hunting gun, think about a 6.5 Grendel

And lastly, buy a Traeger to smoke the pig!
(02-02-2023, 01:12 PM)grayfox Wrote: For AR lengths I prefer a 20" or maybe an 18".  The Hornady load data for gas guns is based on 18" so using that you're right in the ballpark as to see what to expect.
Sixfive arms (a vendor on here and really good guy) has barrels, reasonable and accurate.
Or there's ballistic advantage, or maybe faxon, these all are decent shooters.
The one guy on the grendel forum shooting hundreds if not thousands of hogs, uses an 18" mounted with a thermal plus suppressor.

Back to the 18" and 20", best gas length tubes IMO would be the rifle gas, some of these have intermediate or rifle+ somethings, but the rifle length is my recommendation.

If you want to get the upper all at once then there's cmmg, a bit pricey but a good one and one of the original vendors in 6Arc.  Aero/BA may have one too, idk.  Me, I get an Aero upper receiver and just build them.  You've got the upper recevier so you're off to a good start.

Joebob ooutfitters.com has lots of parts and are good guys also to deal with.

Handguards: Midwest industries is probably the best, but joebob will have some others, more of generics but I've used several and they all work fine.  Most HGs will come with their own barrel nuts, thing I like about a barrel nut is when you don't have to time it, just use some antisieze and torque it properly.

standard screw-type low profile gas block, or an adjustable one, take your pick.

You should really consider getting a better trigger, a drop in - I  like the ones at 2.5# but to each his own.  barrel, trigger, and scope are the top three for accuracy sake.  Spend your money there and get the other stuff nice but economical to hold it all together.
For lots of these parts, joebob is your friend, there's other good places to look also but can't go wrong with joebob.
Thank you this helps a lot.
To add suggestions on what grayfox said about triggers, I'd recommend the Larue MBT.  Excellent trigger for $80 and if you're not familiar with how to install, just Google it.  Another trigger would be Rock River Varmint or National Match.  I have multiples of both an like them.

You could also go with a "cassette" type drop-in which is the easiest to install, but a little more $.
Tact - Telling someone to go to hell in such a manner that they enjoy the trip.
(02-02-2023, 02:52 PM)SBRSarge Wrote: For barrels I have an 18” Odin (about .75moa) and a 12” SixFiveArms (about 1.2moa), all with factory ELD-M and ELD-X ammo. SixFiveArms also has 16” and 20” pipes that will do you well for pigs without the NFA headache of my 12”and will probably group tighter. The SixFive Arms will be wayyyyy less expensive; enough so you can buy a LaRue MBT, or Schmid trigger (SixFive Arms carries the Schmid) to put into your lower.

If you’ll be hunting cooler/cold weather, think about a carbon fiber handguard. It won’t suck the warmth out of your hands like a metal one will. And if you shoot some fast magazines they won’t burn your hand. I’ve used Coda Evolution and TacStar and like both.

I’d think about replacing the butt stock with one with better cheek weld for an optic.

After the barrel and trigger, put the rest of your coin to a good optic.

ETA: For a straight hunting gun, think about a 6.5 Grendel

And lastly, buy a Traeger to smoke the pig!

(02-02-2023, 08:25 PM)yotesniper66 Wrote: To add suggestions on what grayfox said about triggers, I'd recommend the Larue MBT.  Excellent trigger for $80 and if you're not familiar with how to install, just Google it.  Another trigger would be Rock River Varmint or National Match.  I have multiples of both an like them.

You could also go with a "cassette" type drop-in which is the easiest to install, but a little more $.
I'm going to show this post to my grandson and go over it all to do my build. Should be fun.