SixFive vs Shaw barrel
I am looking to upgrade the factory barrel on my ATI and want something to give a little better velocity. Would you reccomend the SixFive 20" or a Shaw 22" for both velocity and accuracy? I handload so the only factory ammo I will be using is to get more brass
Welcome to the forum.
I haven't heard of ATI before, what kind of barrel is it, and what issues are you having?
You're sure it's the barrel, right?
SixFive makes a good barrel, I have one. Have not shot any Shaw barrels...
Thank you, I'm not having any issues other than some sooty cases most likely due to the mid length gas system, which i could probably fix with an H2 buffer or adjustable gas block. The barrel is an 18" and I am unsure of who makes them, you can buy the complete rifle for $600. I am mainly looking to pick up a little velocity to reach out a little farther. No real complaints on the current barrel, it has a tight chamber and shoots sub MOA factory ELDMs.
Both will give some extra fps by being longer... one advantage the sixfive has, is it's designed with a tad more freebore to allow better seating of some of the tangent ogive bullets. Now faxon and uintah (I have all three) also have the same feature more or less. Some earlier barrels by (?? it's discussed on here somewhere, but it's 2:30 am and I just let the dog back in lol, so memory is still sleepy) had a tighter, tougher chamber freebore to use. Made seating pills like the 105 hornady bthp real short, ~2.200 or less. These 3 however allow seating out to ~2.220 with an OAL to lands of ~2.277 for that bullet. Secant ogives like 107, 108, eldx 103 are all fine, with max to lands of 2.300+.

Watch for rifle length gas on these barrels, a 20" with rifle gas is fine, some mfrs want to go to rifle+1 or 2... might be good but for a 20 I haven't seen any need for that. For a 22" that's a different story. Also twist rate. 1:8 is a min, 1:7.7 or 7.5 is better. 1:7, not really needed but that's just my opinion.

As I recall each inch of barrel in 6Arc gives you something like ~30-35 fps so a 20 would get you around 65-70 more than you're getting with an 18. Hornady has a comparison chart on their pdf of the gas gun 108-110 loads. You can kind of extrapolate to the lighter pills from its 108-110 "data by barrel length."
This is good information, I currently have a 1:7.5 and am looking to stay with that or 1:7 and will definitely be loading 103-112gr projectiles. I have read on some barrels being "faster" than others at the same length and was not sure if one of these fits the description. I want to stay at or above 2550fps with the 112gr Match Burners is the main goal
here's that hornady pdf of 108-110 gr, with the adjustment tables below.
For an estimate your 112 will run maybe 20 fps slower, but adjust up to 20" values for a 20" barrel length.
AR gas gun data.

Attached Files
.pdf   Hdy_6mm-ARC-gas-108-110gr-data.pdf (Size: 140.81 KB / Downloads: 11)
(03-07-2023, 03:55 PM)grayfox Wrote: here's that hornady pdf of 108-110 gr, with the adjustment tables below.
For an estimate your 112 will run maybe 20 fps slower, but adjust up to 20" values for a 20" barrel length.
AR gas gun data.
I really appreciate it, going by that at max load they would almost match my needs with the 18, assuming max charge is accurate in my barrel
(03-07-2023, 01:49 AM)grayfox Wrote: Welcome to the forum.
I haven't heard of ATI before, what kind of barrel is it, and what issues are you having?
SixFive makes a good barrel, I have one.  Have not shot any Shaw barrels...

American Tactical Imports. Importer of ...umm... "inexpensive" clone firearms.
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
(03-08-2023, 02:29 PM)GRH Wrote:
(03-07-2023, 01:49 AM)grayfox Wrote: Welcome to the forum.
SixFive makes a good barrel, I have one.  Have not shot any Shaw barrels...

American Tactical Imports. Importer of ...umm... "inexpensive" clone firearms.

Have you ever owned one? I have my 6mm ARC, a 5.56, and a 1911 from them with 1000's of rounds between them with no issues so far. It was kind of a rabbit hole after the first one I fell into