Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brownell's barrels due in early July
Brownells told me their barrels are due in early July.
I’m contemplating getting one and using it until my custom barrel is received. The 20” cmmg looks about right ...

My only hesitation is NO load data being published
Yeah. It seems to be, from our "figurins" on the 6.5 Grr threads, to be somewhere between 6ppc and 6mm Grendel. So I will be starting low and working up.
I guess Brownells missed their estimated date for getting the barrels....

Early August maybe ???
missed - yeah. Sad by a mile.
Brownell's shows the Faxon barrels as in stock just now (this evening). The BA ones, not so much...
Faxon, it looks like all lengths are available.
I've given up on waiting for the BA barrels, I cancelled my order.
They are still on back order.
(08-01-2020, 12:06 AM)grayfox Wrote: Brownell's shows the Faxon barrels as in stock just now (this evening).
 Is a 1:8 twist fast enough for the 100+ grain bullets?
Here is what I use as a guide for twist rate. Berger has long been an authority in long range shooting and ballistic recommendations for their bullets. It should translate well for other bullet makers.

https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/
This came up, I think, on the grr forum for 6arc. I went to jbm ballistics, where you can get the bullet wt and length and calculate stability numbers. What I recall is that 1:8 worked fine at 6arc velocities even down to 12” barrel. The one that was marginal or below the stability nbr was the 115 dtac because it’s so long. My own plans, I don’t plan on even going the 108s, maybe the Sierra 107 but mostly 103eldx, 105 maybe, 90 Tgk, maybe 95 sst. If I go varmint it would be the 87 max. I also have the regular Sierra 100’s but those go in my 243.
Personally I would rather be in the 7.5 or 7 twist rate but right now a 7.5 you can’t find... vs the 8 you can...
Brownells sold out of the 20" barrels in 40 min. I purchased the last one they had in stock, then ordered an 18" min. later. I have three Faxon barrels in my arsenal and the two that I have assembled are fantastic shooters. Both of those are pencil barrels, a 16" and a 10.5".

My son is going to be a happy camper, the 20" is for his birthday present.