Your opinions needed
Everyone knows I am new to reloading and ask dumb questions BUT better dumb than dead. Is there anything that can be taken from this video ?

Thanks

https://youtu.be/VFEd0uJC4Ak
I'd start at half way (not at full charge) & cautiously increase at .2 or .3 grain increments. Looks to me the pressure is a little high with 31.5grs H335 because of the ejector marks on the brass loaded with the magnum primers. I've been reloading since the 1970s & one thing I learned quickly was: don't use standard primers when reloading for semi-auto rifles. His load could be a little rough on extractors. It's good that he warns his method isn't for beginners.
The trick is growing up without growing old. -- Casey Stengal
Thanks for sharing! Be careful & I expect you will!

Wow! I am not sure what to think about the character in the video. More aggressive than Id like to see new reloader modeling after, I suppose.

May have missed it though barrel length seems to have been left out here. Info Id really like to know.

Other than his starting point & jump increments in this small cartridge his data seems to be legit, Lets just say, I am inclined to give H335 a try myself with the bolt action in mind. I do expect to find, this cat is most likely pushing pressures beyond the 52,000 pressure limit for a gas gun. Could be wrong, though my gut says he is warmer than he realizes. Or his comfort level for the gas gun pressure defiantly exceeds what I would be wishing to roll with.

Perhaps I should bite my toung until I give it a go. I have the components, suppose Ill need to give it a spin to compare notes. Sorry to report that while I am curious, this is not nessisarly a priority for me at the moment. Have a long weekend ahead.

Mabe ill get a wild Hair & give this a go, though I suspect other task are going to get higher priority this weekend. We will see.

I have only tried IMR 8208 XBR behind this bullet thus far. Thinking for my use Ill prefer to stay with IMR 8208 XBR due to the more stable burn rate as temperature changes. My utility use for the Absolute hammer would be for deer hunting. My hunting will take place at temperatures ranging from sub zero farenhight to 60ish above.

I am inclined to do the lions share of my load work up in the summer, living further to the north. My data developed in the summer may not apply so well in the extreme cold of the late fall, early winter With H335.

Better than working up a hot load in the winter, then go shoot that margenly safe winter load in the heat of summer & experience bad things due to a Faster burn rate in the heat of summer. H335 is among less temp stable powders that are more prone to such temp swing, pressure issues.
CZ ... he did say his barrel length is 24" ...
The trick is growing up without growing old. -- Casey Stengal
(05-26-2023, 05:40 PM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: Thanks for sharing! Be careful & I expect you will!

Wow! I am not sure what to think about the character in the video. More aggressive than Id like to see new reloader modeling after, I suppose.

May have missed it though barrel length seems to have been left out here. Info Id really like to know.

Other than his starting point & jump increments in this small cartridge his data seems to be legit, Lets just say, I am inclined to give H335 a try myself with the bolt action in mind. I do expect to find, this cat is most likely pushing pressures beyond the 52,000 pressure limit for a gas gun. Could be wrong, though my gut says he is warmer than he realizes. Or his comfort level for the gas gun pressure defiantly exceeds what I would be wishing to roll with.

Perhaps I should bite my toung until I give it a go. I have the components, suppose Ill need to give it a spin to compare notes. Sorry to report that while I am curious, this is not nessisarly a priority for me at the moment. Have a long weekend ahead.

Mabe ill get a wild Hair & give this a go, though I suspect other task are going to get higher priority this weekend. We will see.

I have only tried IMR 8208 XBR behind this bullet thus far. Thinking for my use Ill prefer to stay with IMR 8208 XBR due to the more stable burn rate as temperature changes. My utility use for the Absolute hammer would be for deer hunting. My hunting will take place at temperatures ranging from sub zero farenhight to 60ish above.

I am inclined to do the lions share of my load work up in the summer, living further to the north. My data developed in the summer may not apply so well in the extreme cold of the late fall, early winter With H335.

Better than working up a hot load in the winter, then go shoot that margenly safe winter load in the heat of summer & experience bad things due to a Faster burn rate in the heat of summer. H335 is among less temp stable powders that are more prone to such temp swing, pressure issues.
Thanks to all so far. I went ahead and ordered a box of 50  I will set them beside my Hornady 90gr CX/GMX and sometime this summer I'll give them a try. 
CZ please post if you decide to do more work up on these.
Since I have LR powder I may just shoot side by side with the CX's and see how they do.

Have a great weekend
Ok, I felt up to getting out shooting a bit tonight. Near perfect evening at the range. Wind was great for South Dakota ranging from 10mph to near zero in my face.

When I set out to test H335 under the 87 gr Absolute Hunter I found my remaining stock was lower than I recalled. So I only loaded 4 rounds to compare to the individual in the video.

My barrel is the 22" Pacnor in the CZ 527 bolt action. Working with Starline 6.5 Grendel reformed to 6mm ARC 3 X fired.

Primers were Rem 7.5,  OAL was 2.250"

Velocity results were as follows measured with Magnitospeed.

29 gr yeild was 2983

30 gr yeild was 3099

31 gr yeild was 3205 primer flow around firing pin was significant

31.6 gr yeild was 3251 stiffness was realized with bolt lift

For comparison 3 rounds of last falls IMR 8208 loads were fired for velocity comparison. 

29 gr of IMR 8208 XBR velocity yeild was 3068
(05-30-2023, 03:00 AM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: Ok, I felt up to getting out shooting a bit tonight. Near perfect evening at the range. Wind was great for South Dakota ranging from 10mph to near zero in my face.
Thank you for the info. I looked at ballistics and the 87gr would work well for me around 2950 -3000  and am interested in that powder you were using 8208 xbr seems to be scarce right now 
But not in a hurry to shoot Hammer , I have decided to wait till I get the 90gr Hornadys down pat

Thanks CZ
When I set out to test H335 under the 87 gr Absolute Hunter I found my remaining stock was lower than I recalled. So I only loaded 4 rounds to compare to the individual in the video.

My barrel is the 22" Pacnor in the CZ 527 bolt action. Working with Starline 6.5 Grendel reformed to 6mm ARC 3 X fired.

Primers were Rem 7.5,  OAL was 2.250"

Velocity results were as follows measured with Magnitospeed.

29 gr yeild was 2983

30 gr yeild was 3099

31 gr yeild was 3205 primer flow around firing pin was significant

31.6 gr yeild was 3251 stiffness was realized with bolt lift

For comparison 3 rounds of last falls IMR 8208 loads were fired for velocity comparison. 

29 gr of IMR 8208 XBR velocity yeild was 3068
(05-26-2023, 01:07 PM)Bassfish1952 Wrote: Everyone knows I am new to reloading and ask dumb questions BUT better dumb than dead. Is there anything that can be taken from this video ?

Thanks

No
Trashy
(05-26-2023, 01:07 PM)Bassfish1952 Wrote: Everyone knows I am new to reloading and ask dumb questions BUT better dumb than dead. Is there anything that can be taken from this video ?

Thanks

I am always amazed at the unending search for more speed when a new round comes out. Doesn't accuracy count for something?

I reload for my Savage Axis II with a 22-inch Sporter barrel. I have based my reloads on Hornady's 105 grain BTHP ammunition. It measured the OAL @ 2.220". I stayed with their 105 grain BTHP bullet. I tested loads with Varget, RL-15 and BL-C-(2) powders.

I use "QuickLoad" software to help with my load development; in parallel with Hornady's reloading Manual and it's 6mm ARC sections for both gas operated rifles and bolt action rifles, like my Savage.

I found my most accurate loads were between 2500 and 2600 fps (calculated).

I had my best results using RL-15, although Varget did well. I tested Varget first and over the time I tested these three powders my accuracy started to increase. I may re-visit Varget at a later date to see how much of an improvement I have made. - LOL

The load steps I used for the RL-15 where in 0.2 grain and 0.3 grain increments. My best groups were at 26.5, 26.7 and 26.9 grains of RL-15 powder. I shot a final "ladder" test spaced at 0.1 grain steps and found a load of 26.8 grains was my most accurate.

My final load is 26.8 grains of RL-15 at an OAL of 2.22 inches using a Hornady 105 grain BTHP bullet. I am using Hornady 105 grain BTHP ammunition as the source of all my brass - to-date. I am de-priming, cleaning and then trimming and neck sizing all my cases in separate operations. I prime all my case by hand. I am using a RCBS 1500 trickle charger to generate my powder loads.

I am using a Lee 4000 progressive press. My final cartridge assembly uses my progressive press without the sizing die installed. I used it earlier in a separate operation to neck size the brass. 

I insert a clean, primed, trimmed and neck sized case in the press with each cycle of the press. I use the trickle charge delivered by the RCBS trickle charger and manually pour it into the case thru the Lee powder thru die which also bells the mouth of the case slightly to make installing the bullet into the case easier. I add the bullet at the bullet seating die station, which sets the cartridge's OAL and eliminates the belling done by the thru powder die. My last station has a Lee Factory crimp Die which places a uniform grip on the case neck and de-bulges any swelling in the neck that occurs when the bullet is seated.

After the cartridge has passed through those three stations, it is ejected in a plastic bin with a folded towel in the bottom to give the round a "soft" landing and keep them from bouncing out of the bin.

This load results in 1/2 MOA 3 shot groups at 100 yards. I have had one or two 1/4 MOA groups, but I am still developing my shooting position skill to get more consistent groups.  Once I start to consistently get 0.3" groups, I'll begin working on 5-shot groups.

Some of my calculated results from "QuickLoad" are:
Initial Pressure = 3,626 psi.
Maximum Chamber Pressure = 50,959 ft. lbs.
Muzzle Velocity = 2,607 fps.
Muzzle Energy = 1584 ft. lbs.
Ballistic Efficiency = 32.0%
Bullet Barrel time = 1.183 milliseconds.
Pressure at Muzzle = 8,023 psi.
Propellant burnt = 97.5 %.
Loading ratio - % case is filled = 97.6%
Charge fraction burnt at bullet start = 1.31%

(06-06-2023, 09:54 PM)Ray R Wrote:

Thanks

I am always amazed at the unending search for more speed when a new round comes out. Doesn't accuracy count for something?

I reload for my Savage Axis II with a 22-inch Sporter barrel. I have based my reloads on Hornady's 105 grain BTHP ammunition. It measured the OAL @ 2.220". I stayed with their 105 grain BTHP bullet. I tested loads with Varget, RL-15 and BL-C-(2) powders.

I use "QuickLoad" software to help with my load development; in parallel with Hornady's reloading Manual and it's 6mm ARC sections for both gas operated rifles and bolt action rifles, like my Savage.

I had my best results using RL-15, although Varget did well. I tested Varget first and over the time I tested these three powders my accuracy started to increase. I may re-visit Varget at a later date to see how much of an improvement I have made. - LOL

The load steps I used for the RL-15 where in 0.2 grain and 0.3 grain increments. My best groups were at 26.5, 26.7 and 26.9 grains of RL-15 powder. I shot a final "ladder" test spaced at 0.1 grain steps and found a load of 26.8 grains was my most accurate.

My final load is 26.8 grains of RL-15 at an OAL of 2.22 inches using a Hornady 105 grain BTHP bullet. I am using Hornady 105 grain BTHP ammunition as the source of all my brass - to-date. I am de-priming, cleaning and then trimming and neck sizing all my cases in separate operations. I prime all my case by hand. I am using a RCBS 1500 trickle charger to generate my powder loads.

I am using a Lee 4000 progressive press. My final cartridge assembly uses my progressive press without the sizing die installed. I used it earlier in a separate operation to neck size the brass. 

I insert a clean, primed, trimmed and neck sized case in the press with each cycle of the press. I use the trickle charge delivered by the RCBS trickle charger and manually pour it into the case thru the Lee powder thru die which also bells the mouth of the case slightly to make installing the bullet into the case easier. I add the bullet at the bullet seating die station, which sets the cartridge's OAL and eliminates the belling done by the thru powder die. My last station has a Lee Factory crimp Die which places a uniform grip on the case neck and de-bulges any swelling in the neck that occurs when the bullet is seated.

After the cartridge has passed through those three stations, it is ejected in a plastic bin with a folded towel in the bottom to give the round a "soft" landing and keep them from bouncing out of the bin.

This load results in 1/2 MOA 3 shot groups at 100 yards. I have had one or two 1/4 MOA groups, but I am still developing my shooting position skill to get more consistent groups.  Once I start to consistently get 0.3" groups, I'll begin working on 5-shot groups.

(06-06-2023, 09:54 PM)Ray R Wrote:

Thanks

I use speed to equal energy, for me 2900fps with a 90gr CX  is a clean kill at 300 yds , where at 2600 I cannot generate enough energy to shoot a deer at that range and feel good. Did enjoy reading how you do things, you are trying for tighter groups than I do and work for a better target load but it applies to me and working to get a better deer load 

Thanks for your input
I would proceed with extreme caution. As we know, not everyone on YouTube are the experts they proclaim to be. I was speed obsessed when I started reloading as well. Now I look for a good balance point between velocity, pressure, precision and brass life. Yes, the published data errs on the side of safety and you can push your loads past them. Is it a good idea? Not really. Question I always ask is what would you gain from that extra velocity? 9/10 times, the benefits are either very little, or nothing at all.
I am your uncle!